Fvrcp And Rabies Vaccine - Reactions?

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My new adoptees went to the vet for their first round of vaccinations and a check-up earlier today (Saturday). They're at 10 1/2 weeks, and have been playful and eating well since they came home with us about a week ago.

The vet let us know to watch out for any adverse reactions, including swelling in the face, vomiting, and diarrhea...

Both seemed fine and well enough until I woke up around 2am to some... well... squirty sounds coming from the litter box. (About 9 hours after the vaccine was administered)

When should I be concerned to call the vet? To take them back in?

Is one round of diarrhea nothing to worry about if it isn't accompanied by the other symptoms?

*For reference, they were NOT given the FELV/FIV vaccine.*

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd telephone the vets and ask their thoughts. Sometimes they can be a bit sick after a vaccine However best just to telephone and ask

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd telephone the vets and ask their thoughts. Sometimes they can be a bit sick after a vaccine However best just to telephone and ask
Thanks daisyd! We're going to give the vet a call when they open this morning.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's not unusual for kittens to suffer a mild reaction to vaccines, which may involve diarrhea, vomiting, or lethargy for up to 72 hours.

If the reaction is severe the kitten might need to be seen for meds (anti-diarrheal or anti-nausea), and sub-q fluids. Dehydration is what you want to be cautious of.

Hopefully your kittens will eat well this morning and be well, but it's always best to check with the vet. :)

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual for kittens to suffer a mild reaction to vaccines, which may involve diarrhea, vomiting, or lethargy for up to 72 hours.

If the reaction is severe the kitten might need to be seen for meds (anti-diarrheal or anti-nausea), and sub-q fluids. Dehydration is what you want to be cautious of.

Hopefully your kittens will eat well this morning and be well, but it's always best to check with the vet. :)
Thank you for that info! I'm certainly a bit of a worry-wort cat mom after losing my last so suddenly :(

I figured it wasn't too alarming, considering the small amount and her otherwise normal behavior (eating, playing). We did wake up to a bit of vomit, however... we also can't be sure it was hers! Oh the complicated joys of two kittens :)

The vet clinic opens in a half hour and we'll be making a call to go over the specifics and monitoring her closely! I'm so very hopeful that it's just a mild reaction and a bit of stress from the big trip and vaccines. Searching the internet is, as usual, just more fear-inducing than helpful! Lol.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet doesn't seem to be alarmed. They recommended we hold off on the deworming treatment, however.

On a worse note... the other kitten is now having issues as well :(

They are both leaking stool everywhere, which is an especially sad sight for the long-haired of the pair! I've been doing my best to keep up with them and clean up (the long-hair even needed a washcloth bath).

Has anyone else had experience with this?? They are still their usual kitten selves... running and jumping and playing (which leaves quite a wake in their path while they're little butts are leaking! Eek!)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. You can mix a teaspoon of plain, canned pumpkin into their wet food. It helps to firm the stool.

You can also give them a teaspoon each of plain, full fat yogurt. It helps with the flora in the gut.

Hopefully, the diarrhea clears up soon. The fact they are not lethargic is a good sign.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh. You can mix a teaspoon of plain, canned pumpkin into their wet food. It helps to firm the stool.

You can also give them a teaspoon each of plain, full fat yogurt. It helps with the flora in the gut.

Hopefully, the diarrhea clears up soon. The fact they are not lethargic is a good sign.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!
Thank you for the tips!! They're so tiny (both kittens and squirts... lol) so it doesn't seem like TOO much of a hassle just yet... but I can only imagine the mess if little Volta has any issues as she and her fur continue to grow!

I've thrown a few towels down on their favorite couch for the time being, and they've settled into a nap - I love this photo, the two of them are small enough to fit comfortably on a hand towel! :) Her sister (Freddie) is also sprawled out, hanging off the side of the couch as usual... haha.

Attachments

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some reading on the internet (I know, never a good idea...) and came across some veterinary sites that recommended waiting until 12+ weeks for rabies vaccines. Is that standard? They're only at 10.5 weeks... I do trust our clinic and wouldn't assume they would do anything outside the norm...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rabies shots should not be given until the kittens are 6 months old. That is standard practice with the Humane Society and vets.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ranies shots should not be given until the kittens are 6 months old. That is standard practice with the Humane Society and vets.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - Can you offer a citation for that, please? Modern recombinant non-adjuvanted rabies vaccines - whether with a 1 year DOI (old school) or a 3 year DOI (like Merial PureVax) are generally recommended by the manufacturer for 12 weeks of age; quite a few U.S. States require, by law, rabies vaccination by the age of six months.

Edit: Here's an Humane Society vaccination schedule as a citation (the first of several hundred which came up via Google), though nearly all of the local and state SPCA schedules mirror this one:

https://hssaz.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/services/Kitten-and-Cat-Vaccination-Schedule.pdf

"Rabies Vaccination 12 weeks old (and 3 pounds in weight): First Rabies vaccination, then booster annually."

Second Edit:

Animal Services > Vaccinations - Humane Society of Southern Arizona

[Also, "12 weeks and 3 pounds]

Kitten Vaccinations | Vaccination Schedule for Cats | petMD

[Likewise, "12 weeks...."]

Perhaps most importantly, the American Association of Feline Practitioners Feline Vaccination Guidelines:

http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/VaccinationGLS-summary.pdf

["Administer a single dose as early as 8 or 12 weeks of age depending on the product label."]

Last edited:

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - Can you offer a citation for that, please? Modern recombinant non-adjuvanted rabies vaccines - whether with a 1 year DOI (old school) or a 3 year DOI (like Merial PureVax) are generally recommended by the manufacturer for 12 weeks of age; quite a few U.S. States require, by law, rabies vaccination by the age of six months.

Edit: Here's an Humane Society vaccination schedule as a citation (the first of several hundred which came up via Google), though nearly all of the local and state SPCA schedules mirror this one:

https://hssaz.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/services/Kitten-and-Cat-Vaccination-Schedule.pdf

"Rabies Vaccination 12 weeks old (and 3 pounds in weight): First Rabies vaccination, then booster annually."

Second Edit:

Animal Services > Vaccinations - Humane Society of Southern Arizona

[Also, "12 weeks and 3 pounds]

Kitten Vaccinations | Vaccination Schedule for Cats | petMD

[Likewise, "12 weeks...."]

Perhaps most importantly, the American Association of Feline Practitioners Feline Vaccination Guidelines:

http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/VaccinationGLS-summary.pdf

["Administer a single dose as early as 8 or 12 weeks of age depending on the product label."]

Thanks for tracking down these reputable sources! I trust that the clinic knew what they were doing (we go to Banfield, which is a known nationwide network). Still, I'm kicking myself a bit for agreeing to both vaccines at once... they didn't suggest otherwise, and they agreed when I assumed a second trip back only days later would be more traumatic than getting the two at once.

It's been about 28 hours now, and they're still leaky and sad :( They play and are eating/drinking, but definitely more vocal - I can tell they aren't happy about it.

I'm a bit worried about tomorrow morning... they will be home alone for about 4 hours while we are at work. We plan to keep them comfortable and closed off in one room, but I can't imagine the crap I'll come home to (all puns intended... hehe)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for tracking down these reputable sources! I trust that the clinic knew what they were doing (we go to Banfield, which is a known nationwide network). Still, I'm kicking myself a bit for agreeing to both vaccines at once... they didn't suggest otherwise, and they agreed when I assumed a second trip back only days later would be more traumatic than getting the two at once.

It's been about 28 hours now, and they're still leaky and sad :( They play and are eating/drinking, but definitely more vocal - I can tell they aren't happy about it.

I'm a bit worried about tomorrow morning... they will be home alone for about 4 hours while we are at work. We plan to keep them comfortable and closed off in one room, but I can't imagine the crap I'll come home to (all puns intended... hehe)
Literally as well as a pun :paperbag:

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to keep up with so many play-by-plays on this thread, but here goes... (also, where else can a worried cat mom talk so much detail about poo? :) )

I had a though this morning... could it even their anal glands leaking as opposed to diarrhea? The amount drizzling out is relatively small (just CONSTANT), and they haven't taken a good poo in around 36 hours. Am I off track and maybe they're constipated / leaking from those glands instead?

I don't know much about obstructed anal glands... my last cat had it happen once and it was sooooo foul (she was an adult though, and it never happened again so the vet told me not to worry).

Oof, thank you all for your patience and input. Their little cries and sore butts are just breaking my heart.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the pumpkin that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Use coconut oil to soothe their bottoms.

Call your vet and ask for an anti-diarrheal.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the pumpkin that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Use coconut oil to soothe their bottoms.

Call your vet and ask for an anti-diarrheal.
Thanks! I used a bit of coconut oil before I left for work just now, and I'll see if I can find some canned pumpkin on the way home.