Furminator

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tom has been shedding A LOT this summer, more than any other summer before. He's also been having A LOT more hairballs and I talked to a vet and he said it was probably due to the amount of hair he's been injecting when he cleans himself. I tried grooming him every day with a normal brush and it didn't really help. I had been thinking about shaving him but being that he is a short hired cat and has such a beautiful coat(when its on him and not me or the floor) I was only going to do it as a last resort.

Well the other day I was surfing around for alternative solutions and I found the Furminator comb. I got it thinking I would give it a try and it arrived today. Tom LOVES it. I haven't heard him purr this much in such a long time. And I can see why he's been getting sick. In a 5 minute grooming session I was able to get enough undercoat off to rebuild another cat. It looked like he had never been groomed before. So I think the problem has been solved.

Now if I can just get him to chew his food instead of inhaling it and then having it splatter all over the floor when he throws up from the top of his cat tree I'll be happy
. At least I can't step in it that way...

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Big time furminator fan here too! It is such a hot summer, all of our cats are shedding like we've never seen. DH brushes them daily and with the furminator a couple times a week but we can't stay on top of it.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furminator is great for cats with a thick undercoat. Just make sure not to go over the same spots too many time as it can really thin their coat out too much. (Learned that the hard way first time I used it. Sorry for the half bald back, Sami)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

Furminator is great for cats with a thick undercoat. Just make sure not to go over the same spots too many time as it can really thin their coat out too much. (Learned that the hard way first time I used it. Sorry for the half bald back, Sami)
I was wondering if this was possible...hmm I need to check and make sure I didn't do this to Tomnus. I also need to do this in another room than where my computer is located...all that extra hair was like magnetically attracted to my keyboard.

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huge fan of the Furminator here as well! Whoever said that British Shorthair cats do not require a lot of grooming lied!

I have a three step process which involves the Furminator, the Zoom Groom and then a regular brush to finish off. It is quite an ordeal, but luckily they love the Furminator and Zoom Groom.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

Thanks aprilyim
No problem!

For the future, conducting a search on the internet would probably be a lot faster than waiting for a reply on the forums...

autumnskye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I learned that lesson the hard way too. Felt bad for my poor furbaby until the spot looked normal again. She didn't notice of course.

I also use the furminator. Im not sure they "love" it but it gets a LOT of hair off. 

autumnskye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Huge fan of the Furminator here as well! Whoever said that British Shorthair cats do not require a lot of grooming lied!

I have a three step process which involves the Furminator, the Zoom Groom and then a regular brush to finish off. It is quite an ordeal, but luckily they love the Furminator and Zoom Groom.
I've never heard of the Zoom Groom....is it similar to the Furminator?

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Zoom Groom is a rubber brush for cats that massages and removes dead hair.  I really love it and I think it decreases shedding by a lot. 
The KONG ZoomGroom is the best grooming and shampooing brush available. It removes loose hair like a magnet, and it stimulates capillaries and natural oil product for healthy skin and a healthy coat.
It is something that I would definitely recommend to other cat owners because I think it really works.

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If only our cats LOVED it. We have tried so many different products and the cats just don't like any of them at all. The Ferminator works great but we can't get in a long enuf session to make it worth while to the cats. Our male starts biting at our hands within 4-5 strokes.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now if I can just get him to chew his food instead of inhaling it and then having it splatter all over the floor when he throws up from the top of his cat tree I'll be happy. At least I can't step in it that way...
There is no such thing as a cat chewing his food. That is just not the way they eat. But they usually don't spit food out either.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as a cat chewing his food. That is just not the way they eat. But they usually don't spit food out either.
Emily-you speak in such absolute terms when it just isn't necessary or correct. My cats definantely 'chew' their food, there are small bits and pieces laying all over the counter when they are done (they are excessively sloppy boys). They don't chew them to bits like we would, however, they do break them up. I'm sure there are plenty that get swallowed whole, and have had my Simon throw it up from eating too much, but, when they are fed small portions they do break them down and the crumbs end up everywhere. So no, they don't chew like humans but they do use their teeth.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily-you speak in such absolute terms when it just isn't necessary or correct. My cats definantely 'chew' their food, there are small bits and pieces laying all over the counter when they are done (they are excessively sloppy boys). They don't chew them to bits like we would, however, they do break them up. I'm sure there are plenty that get swallowed whole, and have had my Simon throw it up from eating too much, but, when they are fed small portions they do break them down and the crumbs end up everywhere. So no, they don't chew like humans but they do use their teeth.
I am telling the aboslute truth here. Cats break kibbles in half, so it seems like they are chewing their food. Vets know they do not. It is proven they do not. You don't have to believe me, but if you ask your vet, he or she will agree. The reason is they lack the teeth for chewing food. Did you ever think about the fact that cat food kibbles are smaller than dog food kibbles? The reason is cats don't chew their food.

donnab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are expensive, but well worth the price.