Fur Baby Hates Catio - Help!!!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
E9A0221E-B942-4DF8-A9C9-019CD01279B0.jpeg

HerSo, I was adopted by the apple of my eye this past fall and we’ve been pretty inseparable ever since. She was my neighbor’s cat and she was completely neglected to the point that we thought she was homeless until we brought her to the vet to be scanned. She was thin, face cut up, ears full of cuts and scabs, and her paws were licked bald. It didn’t take long until she moved from the front porch to the garage. I cleaned out the garage (which is facing the backyard with another driveway) and put a couch, tv, microwave and fridge, toys, beds, litter box, activity tree, scratching posts, etc. She then made her way upstairs (there’s a small staircase leading upstairs to a sitting/bonus room that leads to my dads bedroom) and sometimes goes into my dads room. So basically, she has plenty of room that’s is away from our dogs. She goes outside A LOT, which I’m assuming is because she was basically living out there at one point. She stays in our oversized backyard most of the time and plays with her tunnels and naps under our old van and explores one of our old boats that’s on a trailor in the back of the yard, but then she will also leave and venture out. She stays close for the most part and almost always when I ring her bell and call her name, she’ll come running home. My fear is other animals (she doesn’t get along with other animals at all), people or children who could accidentally or intentionally hurt her, cars that could hit her (I’ve had to jump in front of quite a few when she wouldn’t move) and most recently, there’s been hawks eyeing her and my dogs up.

So, I built her a Catio. It’s only the first section that is up against the garage door - 5 ft out, 12 ft long, and 7 ft high. It’s not large by any means but I’m not done yet. I’ve started a garden with a bunch of windmills and light up butterflies and statues and I have cat-friendly plants and flowers growing in small pots for now. I’m going to build onto the section I have now out to include the garden and grass area. I finally introduced her to the first section of Catio yesterday. She cried and cried and cried and cried. She tried going through the tunnel I had in there over and over hoping it would lead to a way out. After 45 minutes of meowing, i gave in and let her out. Late last night I let her out in it hoping she’d associate the Catio with being able to go out early in the morning and late at night when she’s not normally allowed out and learn to look at it as a positive. First, she refused to go inside and stared at me from her little couch with disgust. Then she gave in and sat in her tunnel staring out into the yard. Every morning she cries to go out and I’m half asleep so I don’t feel like going out to watch her so I opened the door and let her in the Catio. Crying crying crying crying. This lasted about an hour. My mom made me let her out and told me we need to make it bigger.

Is this normal? I read about other people making Catios much smaller and their kitties love it! I knew she wasn’t going to be thrilled about it but she’s acting like it’s the most horrible thing in the world to ever happen to her. I was hoping to slowly transition her in but I really don’t see that happening. I worry too much about her outside but I don’t want her to be completely miserable. Is she just being spoiled and knows if she cries, she’ll get her way or is she truly distraught over it. The only thing she does like about the Catio and being able to rub her face against it. Might I add, she is a very sensitive kitty prone to FIC so I worry about upsetting her too much. Any advice??? Please help!!!!

04F80C8B-9A9C-4591-A616-1FBCEC0ABFB4.jpeg

Her having dinner in the Catio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
B80069D4-F513-4602-99F5-595FC1DABEAA.jpeg

Front of the catio as it stands now.. this is just the first part

0A699F9B-F1E8-4A54-B33E-88672FF7A3B7.jpeg

Where I’m going to build onto the Catio to include those lawn stakes, and the plants that I’m growing (cat nip, cat grass, and a few flowers cats can eat) will go around that bush and I’m going to clean up the area. And I’m going to put that fountain bird bath in there. We had a bird feeder, but we brought it inside because of the hawk problem right now.

7B89609A-88ED-4039-8F3D-8B690A82A1E7.jpeg

Her outside her Catio and instead using it to rub her face.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's a lucky little kitty to have been adopted by you. You're clearly taking such good care of her. And that's a wonderful catio--I love the pink accessories. :heartshape:

The thing is, even though it looks beautiful and cozy to you, to her it's a restriction she isn't used to. It may take some time for her to get used to being in there. We are actually in the same position, trying to turn three indoor-outdoor cats into indoor-catio only cats.

Does she like catnip or cat grass? We're planting some cat grass in ours so they have something that smells like nature in there.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a lucky little kitty to have been adopted by you. You're clearly taking such good care of her. And that's a wonderful catio--I love the pink accessories. :heartshape:

The thing is, even though it looks beautiful and cozy to you, to her it's a restriction she isn't used to. It may take some time for her to get used to being in there. We are actually in the same position, trying to turn three indoor-outdoor cats into indoor-catio only cats.

Does she like catnip or cat grass? We're planting some cat grass in ours so they have something that smells like nature in there.
Thank you so much!!! That really makes me feel much better! And the pink princess castle and tunnel are from Amazon - she loooooves tunnels. I have the rest of the set in the yard and even bigger one that’s for dogs that she loves. I am in the middle of growing some cat nip and cat grass and cat-safe flowers that I’ll put in the garden area once I build the rest of the catio over onto the grass.

And congrats on turning your fur babies into indoor/catio pets. It really is so much safer. One of my family kitties got hit by a car and didn’t make it and another was ripped apart by probably a raccoon and BARELY made it. This little one is my baby and I am nervous everyday she goes outside - you just never ever know. I’m not sure how you’re making your catio but if you’re building from scratch, be sure to make all the plans beforehand. It took me more time to get the plans perfect then it did to actually build it and it was very smooth sailing. Had I not sketched it out and measured everything beforehand, it would have been a disaster!

I feel bad she feels so restricted. I think I’m going to build it out a bit more for the time being since the garden portion won’t be done until I’m done with class in May. I hope that’ll help a little bit. The things we do for our kids!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! In the meantime before you get it built out (where is it she wants to be?) --can you do a small extension to there? ....try a cat tree maybe that'll help. Best of luck, you're terrific!!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! In the meantime before you get it built out (where is it she wants to be?) --can you do a small extension to there? ....try a cat tree maybe that'll help. Best of luck, you're terrific!!
Hello!! I think I’m going to make it a little bigger this weekend and then finish it after classes end, which is in 2-3 weeks. I want to order an activity tree for out there but I haven’t been able to find anything water proof or without fabric that could get moldy and I don’t have the tools to cut wood and build one so I’ve been thinking about my options on that. The problem is she likes everything. She likes that old van because there’s a family of mice living up under it. She likes the old boat because she can climb into the side compartments and go literally IN the underneath part of the boat and I’m sure there’s some mice in there. She also likes my sisters truck to take naps under in the shade. Then she likes the big tree because there’s birds she can never even get close to catching. And then there’s two neighbors houses she loves to hang out in - one has a lot of garden gnomes and statues and the other has an unbelievable garden. I’m trying to take a little bit from each yard she likes and incorporate it into mine. I hope she warms up to it!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's an amazing catio, I love it! It took 2 weeks to make Demi an indoor only cat. He cried for 2 weeks straight, and then he was fine. He still gets to go out in the garage and in the summer we open up the doors kind of like you did, with a home-made wire fence on it.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's an amazing catio, I love it! It took 2 weeks to make Demi an indoor only cat. He cried for 2 weeks straight, and then he was fine. He still gets to go out in the garage and in the summer we open up the doors kind of like you did, with a home-made wire fence on it.
Oh she keeps crying too!!! I feel horrible and give in I guess I should stay strong like you did!! I’m hoping once i extend it over into the garden, she’ll be happier with it. How old was Demi when you made the switch? She’s 7 so I’m nervous she’s too set in her ways!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi was about 7 months old when I brought him inside for good. He loved it outside, but he was starting to play in the road and then I saw a coyote in the backyard, so that was the end of that. He cried at the windows and doors day and night for 2 weeks, but then he was fine.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your Catio is amazing! You're such a good pet parent. I know it's hard to stay strong when a kitty is crying, but you seem to have resolved that outside is too dangerous for her. If you give in to her crying after a while, she'll know that's the way to eventually get outside: just keep crying.
I'm glad to hear that she's taking it better the second time in the catio. She might have even understood that the catio is her new outdoor space, and that's why she had such a strong reaction the first time. Just hang in there, and keep posting pics of your catio updates! It really does look cool!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of it may be she misses being on the grass/she hates the restriction/she isn't used to it yet. Cats are all jitttery about change. In time she will adjust to her new routine.

My punk needs outside time for everyone's sanity. However our semiferal 'owns' the backyard. So I go downstairs every afternoon to read so he can feel brave and explore outside. At first he was nervous but with time he got braver. From 12-4 pm I'm downstairs providing a safe lap if he wants it.

I would try hanging out with her in the catio an hour a day. Also if you can build her a cat door so she can go in and out freely I bet she would appreciate it! I would give her shade over half the structure if you can. I bet she would love shelves, cat trees and a box or two to hide in. 'In the whole I'm safe because you can't see me thing.' Vertical space will give her more areas to be in her catio.

You are doing great don't feel guilty

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support and feedback everyone!!!!!

Soooo she still hates it and I’ve been a bad mommy and giving in when she cries ‍♀ I know I know! I’m trying to slowly transition her to the Catio. I’ll let her outside and stay out with her while she hangs in my backyard or stay out there while she goes to 1 of 3 neighbors yards that are all within sight from my yard and rarely ventures out farther. I’m trying to have her use the Catio in the morning when she wouldn’t
normally be allowed out yet (ppl in a rush to get to work, kids walking to bus stops, schoolbuses, garbage trucks, etc) and then in the evening/night when she wouldn’t normally be allowed out (rush hour, kids playing outside, dark outside, raccoons, etc) so that she associates the Catio with being able to go out more often. I’ve never met a cat that loves the outdoors quite like she does. I’m sure it has to do with her old family pretty much forcing her to live outdoors and she must’ve just gotten used to it.

I try to spend at least an hour outside with her everyday if I can whether it’s in the late morning when I’m eating, doing work, or online. Yesterday, we were out from 11am-8pm planting seeds for (cat-safe) flowers for her garden, cleaning up the yard, we had dinner out there. Today, I’m sunburnt and she’s EXHAUSTED. She slept in until 11am, when she normally wakes up at 7am. I’m starting to get a little nervous because she’s still lethargic even now, but I’m hoping she’s just beat from being out all day yesterday. Any thoughts???!

As for the Catio, I’m planning on extending it out onto the grass where I have pinwheels and garden statues and butterflies and putting the garden there. I don’t know if this will be enough so I’m thinking maybe I should (instead of building another PVC structure) put stakes in the ground and do fencing around half of the yard and either push mesh over it or cat-proof the fencing with rollers (I posted a pic of rollers for those of you who haven’t heard of them.) I plan on moving out of my parents by the fall/winter and I’m bringing Arabella with me so it just needs to work for her for now without it being too expensive or permanent. The area I’m looking at has long but narrow backyards and I’ll cat-proof the tops of the fencing around the entire yard so she’ll have the whole yard to play in. So we just have to keep her safe for now ESPECIALLY WITH THIS HAWK PROBLEM WE’RE HAVING HERE!!

D46F6FC0-04F8-4BEB-8143-ED963F554505.jpeg

Cat fencing rollers

16D65CFC-F4DE-472F-B476-093BB4B50DE1.png

Arabella enjoying the nice weather yesterday

F4836E8D-B9DC-4298-933D-49661DFE9409.jpeg

Beginning of our garden including all cat-safe flowers and plants (cat nip, cat grass, sunflowers, zinnias, marigolds, African daisies NOT REGULAR DAISIES, snap dragons, alyssums, and bachelor’s buttons)

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try and add some shelving and a cat tree with some high up built in hiding areas.

I wonder if you could get her used to wearing a harness and then taking her outside into the yard for walks?

Something I am considering for my juvenile cat is getting some crickets pet stores sell as pet food and putting these into a taped together series of paper bags and boxes to provide some better hunting opportunities out on the catio.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I literally JUST picked out another activity tree for her catio that has a few levels to climb that I’m ordering today.

83A99DA1-D050-4F88-8393-7105456B16B1.png

She loves the scratching posts on her indoor tree but won’t use the cat condo, so I thought I’d try one without a condo and just large landings since she’s a bigger medium sized kitty.

I’m also really wanting to teach her how to walk in a harness but I’m very scared!! My fur baby is EXTREMELY sassy and absolutely hates being constrained in any capacity - probably because her old family left her outside to fend for herself for years and she got used to that freedom. I was trying to decide between the harness that is like a jacket or the one that is just collar material.

206A27F2-18CF-4473-B6A8-5A497930B38C.jpeg
1E9C616F-898B-4FA4-8EDC-3125DB0ADE58.jpeg

Anyone use either type??

The crickets are the best idea I’ve ever heard!!!! I’m 10000% going to try that. She would loooove that!

I would try and add some shelving and a cat tree with some high up built in hiding areas.

I wonder if you could get her used to wearing a harness and then taking her outside into the yard for walks?

Something I am considering for my juvenile cat is getting some crickets pet stores sell as pet food and putting these into a taped together series of paper bags and boxes to provide some better hunting opportunities out on the catio.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know how the cat tree works out. My cats are big & long too, so I don't know what size tree to get. Most of them look like they are kitten size...I didn't have a good experience with the Kitty Holster walking jacket. Demi got out of it and hid in the woods for 2 days. If I get a different one, it would be the Come With Me Kitty harness that straps them in good.