Full Prey Item

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the easiest way to feed raw would be to find a feeder place that sells bulk chickens, guinea pigs, quails, rabbits, rats/mice etc. anyways what size rabbit, guinea pigs, rat, quail, or chicken should a average adult ( healthy weight not skinny not fat )house cat eat? Also if someone knows a cheap place to get them online

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how cheap these online stores are (I feed prey model role--frankenprey--so I haven't done a cost comparison.  But Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore are often mentioned in these sites, with good reviews.  Hare Today is in the east coast; MPC, mid west.

Also, a woman I know who has pet snakes orders from Rodent Pro, and like them.  They have a good chart of the nutritional analysis of all kinds of animals.

If you email Hare Today with questions about how much to feed, they will respond fairly quickly--good customer service.  (I haven't used MPC.)

Regarding quantity, remember that some cats eat less on raw food because of the bioavailability of the food:  it takes less food for them to get all the nutrients they need.  And it's often trial and error--even with the best guidelines.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming that you want to buy whole animal and then cut/portion it out yourself? Do you have the freezer space for it? I would think that more space is needed for mass purchases of whole animal than limited purchasing for ground/chunked. Somewhere we had a link for some members' menus, maybe that would be helpful? Not just menus but how they organize the freezer.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.hare-today.com sells whole prey, but it is VERY expensive to feed as an exclusive diet, despite their very reasonable shipping prices.

I've priced out RodentPro for mice. Again, too expensive for me. I do source quite a few things from Hare Today. It is much less expensive to feed their whole ground animal mixes.

Many who feed at least partial whole prey raise their own.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, apparently American Rodent Supply has lifted their restriction to just ship to existing customers? 100 dollars minimum, but free shipping. Not sure what their base prices are like though.