Friskies canned food

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please watch friskies canned food numbers 1157,1159,1161. They were recalled back in 2018-19. Made my cat very sick. And, not out of the woods yet.
I’ve been feeding my cats Friskies for quite some time (only brand they’ll eat) but I don’t remember the “recall” back in 2018-19. Wouldn’t they already be off the shelves?
I don’t know how long the expiration dates are for can cat food, I’ll have to check mine.

thanks for the info

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are saying there was no recall. Should back track. They took it off the shelves then. Because it was making cats sick. Now they are even denying that. It very expensive to test every can or even one.
The expiration date 2024. All I can say if your cat won't eat it, they might be more than finicky. Please just be mindful.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are saying there was no recall. Should back track. They took it off the shelves then. Because it was making cats sick. Now they are even denying that. It very expensive to test every can or even one.
The expiration date 2024. All I can say if your cat won't eat it, they might be more than finicky. Please just be mindful.
I checked a couple of cans of Friskies I still have, beef flavor with 1161 and expiration date of 2024…also can of shreds/Turkey & giblets with 1157 expiration
2024.. I get them Chewy and my cats have been eating them…I haven’t seen a problem (yet). Now I don’t know if I should continue feeding it or not.

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is really finicky. And if it doesn't smell right he won't eat it. I'm not saying every can is bad.
Now, I'm going on the defense. You control what and when your cats eat. I just wish someone would have given me a heads up.
That's all I'm doing. I'm not hating a brand. But, I want my cat around a little longer. And, without having crap out of both ends.
I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO GO THROUGH THIS.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you had a chance to try a little unflavored pumpkin? It can help. Also, slippery elm bark can help with nausea (give separately from any meds, at least two hours beforehand) and sometimes vets (note, I am not a vet) will suggest boiled unseasoned chicken with a little boiled unseasoned white rice.

Pet Food Recall Center - Petful

I did a little further checking, and here's Petful's specific page about those can numbers;
Friskies Cat Food Recall History (Fully Updated, Constantly Monitored)
"1157, 1159 and 1161 don’t mean what most people think they do. These specific number sequences have frequently appeared on the bottom of Friskies cans — for years"

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you had a chance to try a little unflavored pumpkin? It can help. Also, slippery elm bark can help with nausea (give separately from any meds, at least two hours beforehand) and sometimes vets (note, I am not a vet) will suggest boiled unseasoned chicken with a little boiled unseasoned white rice.

Pet Food Recall Center - Petful

I did a little further checking, and here's Petful's specific page about those can numbers;
Friskies Cat Food Recall History (Fully Updated, Constantly Monitored)
"1157, 1159 and 1161 don’t mean what most people think they do. These specific number sequences have frequently appeared on the bottom of Friskies cans — for years"
Interesting that the numbers have appeared on the cans for years. When I buy cans I really don’t look at those #’s. Makes me feel at little more at ease now. As I said earlier, that’s all my cats will eat (Friskies) and they seem fine. I think every cat vomits from time to time..so I really haven’t been concerned about anything except the stupid fleas.. I’ve been trying to find a different brand other than Friskies even before the previous post…my cats are really picky as most cats are…

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's much better now. All could think of was catnip. So, catnip tea. A couple of droppers, calmed his and helped him sleep.
I've seen pumpkin and or carrot in a lot of homemade food. I'm looking into it.
Thank You so much

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been around 6-8 years ago that 2 of my girls were Sick enough I was having to syringe feed for a week. I was feeding Friskies ( I think it is like crack to cats. You can’t get them off if it!). Vet told me he thought it was food related. I called the 800 number on the can and talked to them. They had me send documentation from the vet. It ended up they paid the vet bill but didn’t admit fault. I spent the next several months trying other foods from the most expensive down to almost the cheapest. All any of them would eat was Friskies.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I’ll pass it along to my friends with cats

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been around 6-8 years ago that 2 of my girls were Sick enough I was having to syringe feed for a week. I was feeding Friskies ( I think it is like crack to cats. You can’t get them off if it!). Vet told me he thought it was food related. I called the 800 number on the can and talked to them. They had me send documentation from the vet. It ended up they paid the vet bill but didn’t admit fault. I spent the next several months trying other foods from the most expensive down to almost the cheapest. All any of them would eat was Friskies.

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cooked at a restaurant for over 16 years. How hard can it be to make homemade cat food. From what I'm understanding, it's paleo/keto. I'll have to add taurine. But, I think everything else is ready. If the cat won't eat it... I will..ha

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could start a thread in the Raw Food forum, there are premade mixes that ensure you'd have a complete and nutritionally balanced recipe, as well as other options :)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cooked at a restaurant for over 16 years. How hard can it be to make homemade cat food. From what I'm understanding, it's paleo/keto. I'll have to add taurine. But, I think everything else is ready. If the cat won't eat it... I will..ha
I don’t think it depends how hard or easy it is to make homemade food, the problem is getting cats to eat it….they can be very stubborn and picky.
When I tried to just change the wet cat food brand that my cats eat if they don’t like it they go all day without eating, they walk away from it.
Since you said your is really finicky, good luck…

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gave a lot of thought in to this (homemade,raw,cooked,). Then it hit me. In the food industry, we have to prepare food in a certain way. At certain temps. And, duh! Reheat the canned cat food. Temperatures of 165° kill bacteria, salmonella.
I am not going through the hassle of making food my finicky might not eat.
He has never gotten people food. Think about it..