Friskies And Ff

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Erin80 Erin80 that case goes on sale at Costco often for like $18 haha! I wish I could buy it but mine only like the 1 flavour. It’s not hard to find for 50c a can on sale.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Erin80 Erin80 that case goes on sale at Costco often for like $18 haha! I wish I could buy it but mine only like the 1 flavour. It’s not hard to find for 50c a can on sale.
Mine ate one of the fish flavours yesterday no problem (they rarely get fish, but this case has 2 different fish flavours....ugh), but this chicken pate this morning....they weren't fans. They ate it reluctantly. I don't think I'd buy Friskies again. I don't have good feelings towards it!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok.
I can't stand paying so much for these tiny 3oz ounce cans of Nutro....I love when they go on sale for $1 each! My cats are both under a year, so they eat a ton right now.....maybe I will put Friskies into the rotation for a while until they slow down, and then phase it out again.
Which Nutro is it? I feed Nutro Max and I get it through my Amazon subscribe and save. I pay $18 for a case of 24.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which Nutro is it? I feed Nutro Max and I get it through my Amazon subscribe and save. I pay $18 for a case of 24.
I'm in Canada, so it's all more expensive.
It's Nutro soft loaf or the bits in gravy. They're around $1.29 or $1.39 for a small 3oz can. Sometimes they go on sale for $1 a can......but not often.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Canada, so it's all more expensive.
It's Nutro soft loaf or the bits in gravy. They're around $1.29 or $1.39 for a small 3oz can. Sometimes they go on sale for $1 a can......but not often.
Same here. I used to buy the Nutro cans in Petsmart. They were on sale for $1 all the time. Not anymore. :rolleyes2:

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah Nutro Soft Loaf is one of Lydia's very few favorites, but it is usually about $1.19 a can here too. For 3 oz cans it seems so spendy!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. I used to buy the Nutro cans in Petsmart. They were on sale for $1 all the time. Not anymore. :rolleyes2:
So it's not my imagination that they seem more expensive! Ireland loves Nutro Natural Choice so at least I know it will all get eaten but the price seems to have gone up a fair (or unfair?) bit.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So it's not my imagination that they seem more expensive! Ireland loves Nutro Natural Choice so at least I know it will all get eaten but the price seems to have gone up a fair (or unfair?) bit.
When I buy from Petsmart, I will usually order online and pick up in store. They will often offer a 5% discount if you do that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
before you use Rachel Ray consider this and google for more opinions. The attitude is worth noting. First paragraph

Rachel Ray claims her natural line of dog food did not violate any laws just because it contains the chemical used in the popular weedkiller Roundup and wants a lawsuit against her dismissed.

Rachael Ray Denies Any Wrongdoing in $5 Million Dog Food Lawsuit

for the past year, I've wondered how much control Ray retained over the formula and product since she sold the brand to Smuckers last year.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was feeding Friskies and FF . I was also feeding Pro Plan dry . I recently found out that Purina PP uses Ethoxyquin in most of their pet foods.
I changed my dogs and cats to Only Natural Pet Powerfood. It's expensive but excellent food.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rachel Ray claims her natural line of dog food did not violate any laws just because it contains the chemical used in the popular weedkiller Roundup and wants a lawsuit against her dismissed.
I bet everything has traces of glyphosate in it by now. Even organic :/. Farmers spray it around like water.
I recently found out that Purina PP uses Ethoxyquin in most of their pet foods.
It's not in the ingredients list. Do you mean it's in the fish meal they use?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy you're probably right. It fits with my generally anti-Pollyanna outlook on life. Pretty soon I'll hit the point of overload which should mean I no longer worry. And it will be about time. :D

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I’m a bit late to the thread here... I know that many people don’t agree with this and I respect everyone’s opinions, but my kitty mostly just gets FF and Friskies pates. My cat loves them, they are low carb, and they are what I am able to afford. I know this is anecdotal but my last two cats lived to 19 with that general diet. I think they are both a valid option.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I’m a bit late to the thread here... I know that many people don’t agree with this and I respect everyone’s opinions, but my kitty mostly just gets FF and Friskies pates. My cat loves them, they are low carb, and they are what I am able to afford. I know this is anecdotal but my last two cats lived to 19 with that general diet. I think they are both a valid option.
Friskies and Fancy Feast are both very decent foods, ashekitty ashekitty , and nobody should make you feel bad about feeding them. Like you said, they're low-carb, and that's half the battle in feeding cats. They're a great option for a lot of cats and their people, as are Sheba and lots of store brand foods, like Tractor Supply's, that have similar recipes.

I have to say that Fancy Feast Classic night (it rolls around about once a week) is my favorite night of the week because I know our picky cat will always clean her plate. ;) Tonight is the orange label, I think, oh happy day!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, fish too, I forgot about that. The only fish-free flavors of Friskies pates are Mixed Grill and Country Style Dinner.

You could alternate between Friskies and FF, to save money but still provide the higher meat quality of FF.
Mixed grill and country style dinner are the only friskies I feed my cats. It's not the best, but affordable and my cats like them. I feed them other brands and flavors, but those 2 friskies have never caused any digestional problems for my cats. But, FF makes my one cat sick every time. It's crazy how animals who are used to eating rodents whole can have such delicate stomachs.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bet everything has traces of glyphosate in it by now. Even organic :/. Farmers spray it around like water.

It's not in the ingredients list. Do you mean it's in the fish meal they use?
Yes it is. I spoke to a rep at Purina and they confirmed it. I was told " it's in most of our pet foods"..
A lot of things I let slide because no pet food is perfect but I draw the line at Ethoxyquin, BHA/BHT...

Last edited:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it is. I spoke to a rep at Purina and they confirmed it. I was told " it's in most of our pet foods"..
A lot of things I let slide because no pet food is perfect but I draw the line at Ethoxyquin, BHA/BHT...
Ethoxyquin is safe in trace amounts (according to the FDA), but there hasn't been any conclusive research on long-term effects of exposure in cats who are regularly exposed to traces.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ethoxyquin is safe in trace amounts (according to the FDA), but there hasn't been any conclusive research on long-term effects of exposure in cats who are regularly exposed to traces.
Yeah I read that. It's also been banned for use in human foods so it can't be a good thing.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If that's what works for all of you, go for it. IMO there's nothing wrong with either. My girls are really picky but love Friskies poultry pates. Especially the turkey & giblets. Those pates are some of the very few foods that they never turn down. I've thrown out more cans of expensive premium food than I care to think about because the girls refused to eat them. Those pricey "premium" foods are useless when they end up in the trash and not in the cat.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cheap food is not going well! I have been feeding it once or twice a day for about a week or so, and they have terrible gas.....and I see some loose poop in the litter box. I am returning all of it and we are going to do a half raw diet and half premium canned food that they're used to - raw food in the morning and canned at night. They will eat the Friskies, but I don't like what it's doing to their bodies....and I'm afraid their fur will lose its shine too! I know it works for some cats....but maybe not mine.