Friskies And Ff

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my two FF every evening before bed because it's higher in calories......but why is Friskies the same price as FF for almost double the amount?

We've always fed them a serious rotation of wet foods....all high quality ranging from Tiki cat, Merrick, Instinct, GO, etc etc. I have never given them Friskies.......

With 2 cats eating only wet, it is super expensive. I see Friskies at Costco - a huge case of it for $25 and I'm always tempted. Then I feel guilty and don't buy it.

How bad is Friskies? They are not picky at all, so I know they'd eat it. We are getting a Vizsla puppy in a few weeks and she will be fed the Kirkland puppy food (got good reviews on the dog food database)...it would be so nice to be able to get the kitties food at costco too...but they only offer Friskies in the store. We tried the Vintage brand they carry, and my cats went off it after 1/2 the case (surprise, surprise!).

I'm totally find with feeding my two the FF classic's.....but does anyone feed Friskies with success? Or should I stay away??!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to feed friskies but then my big guy stopped eating it a couple years ago.

I think my idea would be to try it, see if they eat it, and rotate it with other foods so that whatever undesired ingredients are "offset", so to speak in your kitties systems by the other brands.
That would help a bit with the budget :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies has the rice and unless it's seafood it seems like meat by products is the first ingredient. Fancy feast classics is pretty carb free and it has regular meat as the first ingredient. Friskies seem to contain fish in all their flavors but that's not the case with FF classics.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Friskies Turkey and Giblets:

Meat by-products, water, poultry by-products, turkey, poultry giblets, fish, rice, artificial and natural flavors, salt, guar gum,

Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets:

Turkey, Liver, Meat By-Products, Turkey Broth, Poultry Giblets, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Guar Gum,

So yes they are similar but FF is grain free and uses less by-products and more whole meats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies seem to contain fish in all their flavors but that's not the case with FF classics
Oh, yeah, fish too, I forgot about that. The only fish-free flavors of Friskies pates are Mixed Grill and Country Style Dinner.

You could alternate between Friskies and FF, to save money but still provide the higher meat quality of FF.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok.
I can't stand paying so much for these tiny 3oz ounce cans of Nutro....I love when they go on sale for $1 each! My cats are both under a year, so they eat a ton right now.....maybe I will put Friskies into the rotation for a while until they slow down, and then phase it out again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By-products are unnamed organ meats. Organ meats tend to be higher in fat and can loosen the stools. I’m guessing that’s why the rice is there. But that’s just not a good formula.

A cat’s diet should be roughly 80% meat/10% organs/10% bone. But bone should never be cooked. In a canned food, you’ll see a calcium supplement instead. It looks like Friskies has this backwards with the bulk of their food coming from unnamed organ meats. Unnamed fish is also suspect. My Krista can eat tuna but salmon will cause a reaction. When they don’t name a fish, it sounds to me like they get a fish slop that even they don’t know the names of the fish within it. Everything about Friskies is telling me to flip this can off and set it back on the shelf like I do with so many other cat “foods” out there.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By-products are unnamed organ meats. Organ meats tend to be higher in fat and can loosen the stools. I’m guessing that’s why the rice is there. But that’s just not a good formula.

A cat’s diet should be roughly 80% meat/10% organs/10% bone. But bone should never be cooked. In a canned food, you’ll see a calcium supplement instead. It looks like Friskies has this backwards with the bulk of their food coming from unnamed organ meats. Unnamed fish is also suspect. My Krista can eat tuna but salmon will cause a reaction. When they don’t name a fish, it sounds to me like they get a fish slop that even they don’t know the names of the fish within it. Everything about Friskies is telling me to flip this can off and set it back on the shelf like I do with so many other cat “foods” out there.
Yeah you get what you pay for. I'd say it's good for feeding ferals and for whoever is on a strict budget. Too bad ff doesn't come in bigger sizes for people. At least, I haven't seen any. It would have been nice to send big cans of ff to my stepmom who takes care of a lot of strays.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Friskies was the only thing Jasmine could or would eat in her last 6 months. I've fed it on and off over the years when money was tight, and when we were first transitioning to wet. Jasmine was always overweight until we started her on Friskies. So I think dollar for dinner, Friskies is still better than a dry food with similar ingredients.

I would still add it to my rotation but Lydia has decided she can't eat it now that Jasmine is gone.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.
I can't stand paying so much for these tiny 3oz ounce cans of Nutro....I love when they go on sale for $1 each! My cats are both under a year, so they eat a ton right now.....maybe I will put Friskies into the rotation for a while until they slow down, and then phase it out again.
That's not such a bad idea. You could do a whole lot worse than Friskies and pay a whole lot more! I think I'm more against the carrageenan than the rice since the amount of rice has to be small to have such low carb percentages on Dr. Pierson's food list. I'm far more concerned about carbs and carrageenan than byproducts, though I do try to stay away from feeding fish to often, even in small amounts.

That said, we all have our principles and preferences but when it comes to actually getting our cats fed, with something they'll eat and we can afford, sometimes Friskies and other cheaper foods are just the ticket. And speaking of cheap foods! Tractor Supply has very decent "Kitchen Selects" foods that are a lot like Fancy Feast but cheaper and, IMHO, better. No carrageenan, no carby stuff, and the first ingredients aren't byproducts. Also no menadione (synthetic vitamin K), which I prefer not to feed too much of. I wish our cats liked it better!

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's like fast food. I only get my cat premium food like simply nourish, authority, stuff that aren't found in walmart but in petsmart. I never buy cheap shit for my cat just like I don't for myself.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I offer some Friskies with the gravy but they get a full can of FF with it. Recently though, they seem to have changed something in the food. My cats , too many here for it just being a picky cat, have been turning their noses up at some of the shreds. We are looking for other moist alternatives. Some aren’t crazy about the FF so......
I also give mine dry food at night. Anyone try the Rachel Ray dry? Results?

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats and the outdoor ferals did poorly on several varieties of Friskies.

They did well on fancy feast for a long time. But in late November 2018, started to get the runs more and then start puking.

There are stories on consumer review sites that something bad is going on with Purina recently. Perhaps it's because they moved processing to France, IDK.

Until Nestle Purina they address and resolve all these complaints I am trying out many alternatives.

I won't hold my breath though. I mean this was a company that knew that human slaves on ships were procuring the seafood for pet food until they were shamed about it.

Sadly, my kittehs really miss their FF kitty crack.

So sorry for bad news, but tread carefully feeding them Purina.....

That also goes for Weruva brand, nutro and Meow mix. All on my do not buy list.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird I bought Rachel Ray's kibble a couple years ago, and my Big Guy was ok with it :)
(I ended up moving on though, due to Menadione in it.)

If you're near a Costco or tractor supply, both of those have decent options for less :winkcat:

Last edited:

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friskies in Canada has several varieties without fish (my cat cannot process fish so I read all the labels).

I use it in rotation with FF.

I have 2 bengals- one only eats FF and Friskies and the other is a gastro nightmare and eats raw. Ironically- my ibd/gastro nightmare cat has been eating all the Friskies turkey flavours and doing really well. This cat normally cannot eat ANYTHING out of a can. The turkey and giblets pate has fish but none of the other turkey flavours do (in Canada at least)

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fed them Friskies for the first time today. They ate it all. I don't plan to feed it every day, but I did buy the 48 can variety pack from Costco for $21.......so we will work our way through it.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird I bought Rachel Ray's kibble a couple years ago, and my Big Guy was ok with it :)
(I ended up moving on though, due to Menadione in it.)

If you're near a Costco or tractor supply, both of those have decent options for less :winkcat:
We don't have the tractor supply house brand here in Canada unfortunately.