fresh cooked chicken only what supplements

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For a start, just go to your local market and buy eggs. Follow the instructions that LDG posted above re: eggs shells, then at least your cat will be getting some calcium. 
Eggshell calcium is super easy and practically free if you eat eggs!  The yolks can be fed raw or cooked; they provide vitamin D, choline...egg yolk is a super nutritious food to feed.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... if someone can just tell me what she needs I will order it ...
Just wanted to point out that in addition to the very first response, which gave an abundance of links for this specific question, I listed the following in the next response:

You may find the information provided by this site to be helpful: http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.html

Cats ... need fat, bones (for more than just calcium), organ meat, and a number of vitamins and minerals including vitamins E, B-50 complex, and fish oils for Omega-3 fatty acids. ... you need to ensure that you're providing a healthy balance between protein, fat, bones, and organ meat. 
So, to summarize, there are supplements that need to be added to the diet provided. However, the above is for complete raw diets that include skin, fat, organ meat, and bones (or another source of calcium). The short answer to your question is your foundation (of frozen pre-cooked chicken breast strips) isn't sufficient. So there is no simple list of supplements for you to order to balance your kitty's diet. 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
....So there is no simple list of supplements for you to order to balance your kitty's diet. 
But there is. And it is a rather simple list of ingredients and supplements. mschauer posted a list of cooked recipes that are balanced and complete nutritionally, and they list the supplements and ingredients, specific types and amounts. Being in the UK, salznet can obviously purchase different brands, but the supplements needed to make the food should be easily available.

Again, the cooked chicken recipe is: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread#post_3439951

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But there is. And it is a rather simple list of ingredients and supplements. mschauer posted a list of cooked recipes that are balanced and complete nutritionally, and they list the supplements and ingredients, specific types and amounts. Being in the UK, salznet can obviously purchase different brands, but the supplements needed to make the food should be easily available.

Again, the cooked chicken recipe is: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread#post_3439951
But that has a base of fresh meat including organ meat. If she's using a base of pre-cooked frozen chicken strips (which in the US include a lot of other ingredients added during processing, including onion and garlic powder (so hoping it's different in the UK)), isn't there a need for more to achieve a balance? 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She won't touch cat food full stop she will eat scampi if she wants to she isn't keen on fish she eats chicken other meats she doesn't like she will eat turkey occasionally and has been tempted by fillet steak I put taurine on her breakfast because that's when I can guarantee she will eat it all if I knew what she was missing I would get it I'm not bothered she doesn't eat wet cat food as in the summer it can go off within an hour as the temperature in the flat is very high even with 4 fans on constantly also there is a stream alongside the flat that is protected by the environmental people as it has badgers voles etc so it cannot be cleaned so in summer we have hordes of flies etc my boy cat doesn't eat anything other than a high quality dry food or again occasionally scampi be has no interest in normal food I haven't tried her on egg yolk I didn't know she could have it if someone can just tell me what she needs I will order it I don't particularly want to change her diet as she is eating well and is just a nice size for her breed now she is neutered and has never had kittens
I think you're misunderstanding my questions.

You came here because you know the diet you're feeding your cat is not nutritionally balanced. You can make her homemade food - the problem is getting her to eat what she needs to be eating in order to not suffer from health-related problems due to malnutrition. That, as I understand it, is your goal.

My list of questions was meant to help us help you. We need to identify things that can be used to entice her to eat things she normally doesn't want to eat.

Example. When I transitioned my cats to homemade food, I had never offered them liver as a treat before. It turns out that some of them LOVE it. Here in the U.S., we can buy freeze dried liver treats that are ONLY liver. I believe those are available there too. Freeze dried treats powder up very easily. My cats did not like some of the food I offered them initially, when I started making homemade. But by crushing some of the freeze dried liver treats over the food, they would eat it. I would have to keep sprinkling more freeze dried liver powder on it after a few bites, but it kept them taking bites of it.

That is what I was trying to get at. If you have not yet identified anything that would help do that, I provided a list - not comprehensive, we can keep going with more ideas - of things that you CAN try, if you have not YET tried them.

Think of it like this. A child has been eating only cereal for 10 years. Mom wants this child to eat salad. The kid is NOT going to like salad at first. It might take a bunch of cereal on top of salad greens to get the kid to eat the salad greens. It may take a lot of cheese, or a lot of bacon, or a lot of salad dressing. Or a lot of all of those things. But there is SOMETHING that will make that child try salad. Some of it. And over time, it will take less and less of all that extra stuff, and eventually that child will crave the salad.

This is your fussy kitty.

Making the cooked chicken food that is balanced and complete should not be overly difficult, nor should finding the ingredients and supplements. Your kitty may not like it like that. But that is what is healthiest for her. What you need to identify are the things that will entice her to eat it.

That was my point, and my goal in listing all of those things. And if you've tried them all, we can come up with more ideas for things to try.

But we need more information from you.

We're not trying to condemn - we're trying to help.

But we don't know what you know, and we don't know what you've tried.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But that has a base of fresh meat including organ meat. If she's using a base of pre-cooked frozen chicken strips (which in the US include a lot of other ingredients added during processing, including onion and garlic powder (so hoping it's different in the UK)), isn't there a need for more to achieve a balance? 
I don't think we should assume there are other ingredients in the precooked chicken strips.

But I don't understand your question?

salznet doesn't *need* to buy precooked strips. Her cat eats cooked chicken. THAT is a starting point.

Organs are typically not difficult to source in the UK.

And if salznet hasn't tried feeding her cat liver, we have no idea whether her kitty likes liver or not. Many cats love it. And the heart, as mentioned in the recipe, is not needed to make it balanced nutritionally.

:dk:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think we should assume there are other ingredients in the precooked chicken strips.

But I don't understand your question?

salznet doesn't *need* to buy precooked strips. Her cat eats cooked chicken. THAT is a starting point.

Organs are typically not difficult to source in the UK.

And if salznet hasn't tried feeding her cat liver, we have no idea whether her kitty likes liver or not. Many cats love it. And the heart, as mentioned in the recipe, is not needed to make it balanced nutritionally.

Maybe I have a skewed perception of the amount of nutrient degradation during processing and freezing, but she said: 

Quote:

Originally Posted by salznet  

... the chicken I buy is precooked frozen strips. ...

I'm just concerned that the difference in nutrients is significant between the precooked frozen and fresh cooked.

So my question, I guess, is if she wants to continue to use these strips (as she said she doesn't want to change her kitty's diet), wouldn't she need more to balance it? And if so, how would that extra be determined? But again, perhaps I'm overestimating the nutrient loss and it's comparable! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, commercial cat food is made from highly processed cooked meats, probably quite similar to precooked chicken strips. Commercial cat food is made balanced by use of supplements. So with the proper supplements, any animal protein can be made into a balanced food for a cat :dk:.

I believe we have a thread around somewhere comparing cooked meats' and raw meats' nutrient levels. Some nutrients are somewhat degraded but altogether there's not a huge difference. Humans do quite well on cooked meat after all ;).

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not educated enough on the subject to confidently argue my thoughts on this. They're mostly based on assumptions on my part, so I shall defer to those of you with the experience and knowledge that I'm just beginning to gain! 

@salznet, these members really know their stuff, so I do hope you'll take their advice and recommendations. There's much good information provided in this thread.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, commercial cat food is made from highly processed cooked meats, probably quite similar to precooked chicken strips. Commercial cat food is made balanced by use of supplements. So with the proper supplements, any animal protein can be made into a balanced food for a cat :dk:.

I believe we have a thread around somewhere comparing cooked meats' and raw meats' nutrient levels. Some nutrients are somewhat degraded but altogether there's not a huge difference. Humans do quite well on cooked meat after all ;).
Would things like sodium be different in precooked meats? Here in the US, precooked frozen meats usually are enhanced and we warn about buying fresh meat that's enhanced...so I can see why the question is being asked about the precooked frozen strips. I wonder if the OP has a picture of the package or a link to share so people can better help her with supplements?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the OP should look at the ingredient list and sodium level. But there are some pre-cooked meats that don't have additives.