fresh cooked chicken only what supplements

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who only eats mainly fresh cooked chicken I add taurine to her breakfast meal what else and what quantity should I be adding Thankyou

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What other proteins have you tried?

She's missing a LOT of nutrients.

Where do you live? Because the answer to your question depends on that. If you're in the Canada or the U.S., there are supplements you can purchase that make just cooked meat complete. There is one such supplement available in many parts of Europe. Of course, you can do it without these supplements.

Here is a thread with balanced cooked food recipes. I'm linking directly to the cooked chicken recipe. The supplements listed include brand - those are available in the U.S. but I'm sure similar supplements could be located elsewhere. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread#post_3439951

And you may want to read through links in our Home Cooked Resources thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in UK I just need to know what she needs I noticed on your links it needs mixing with water and tbh I don't think she would eat then as the chicken I buy is precooked frozen strips I put the taurine on direct and she eats that fine

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the protein is cooked, it loses nutrients. More nutrients are lost when the meat is frozen. As such, feeding processed frozen chicken to your kitty is not a healthy choice. 

You may find the information provided by this site to be helpful: http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.html

Cats need more than just protein and taurine. They need fat, bones (for more than just calcium), organ meat, and a number of vitamins and minerals including vitamins E, B-50 complex, and fish oils for Omega-3 fatty acids. Commercial foods, in theory, have the necessary balance. When providing alternative diets, whether home-cooked or raw, you need to ensure that you're providing a healthy balance between protein, fat, bones, and organ meat. Simply providing protein and taurine can cause serious problems for your kitty. 

I strongly recommend consulting your vet about her diet. 

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in UK I just need to know what she needs I noticed on your links it needs mixing with water and tbh I don't think she would eat then as the chicken I buy is precooked frozen strips I put the taurine on direct and she eats that fine
Feeding just meat, whether cooked or raw, with just taurine added is a severely unbalanced diet.  If that is what her diet is mostly made up of you must stop feeding that immediately. Put her on a commercial pet food while you research the proper way to feed a home-made diet. 

How old is your cat? If she is < 1 year (still growing) you must get her to a vet immediately. Tell the vet you have been feeding her a diet completely lacking in calcium (among other nutrients).

The water in the recipe linked to is mostly just to make the food easier to package. It is the nutrients (calcium, B complex, vit E, etc)  that you should be focusing on. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding just meat, whether cooked or raw, with just taurine added is a severely unbalanced diet.  If that is what her diet is mostly made up of you must stop feeding that immediately. Put her on a commercial pet food while you research the proper way to feed a home-made diet. 

This is what happens when you feed only meat and taurine: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/259623/2-months-old-eating-only-meat

Same cat. And while there was an abnormality in his thyroid, that doesn't discount the fact that the kitten was being given almost NO calcium: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/259903/terrified-of-possible-spine-injury-no-vet-until-tomorrow

Please heed mschauer's advice. Buy your cat cat food until you can get her eating homemade food that is nutritionally balanced.

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 5 years old and an extremely fussy eater she won't eat wet cat food at all and yes I have tried them all even applaws she would rather go hungry I put a high quality kibble down at night which she barely touches she eats her chicken with gusto and I have spoken to my vet he said if she won't eat wet food you cannot force her to I have tried every wet food on the market all I asked was what she needs if you can't tell me that then I will do my research elsewhere she is not an uncared for moggy but an indoor pedigree cat I just wanted advice as this site came recommended but I can see I have made a mistake and no I have no intention of putting her on a raw diet as it is not feasible for her or myself as I am disabled

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*phew* So glad she's an adult.

Please understand our advice comes from a place of concern. We cannot read minds, we don't know the backstory. We are just now finding out she is five years old, and your vet told you to feed her whatever she'll eat.

You came here asking what she's missing. She's missing a lot.

And if you read the threads to which I provided a link, you would see that our concern is based on an unbalanced diet causing a cat serious harm, to the point the vet was concerned the kitten might not live.

No one is asking you to put her on a raw diet. The issues are with homemade diets, whether raw or cooked. It's "easier" to balance a raw diet, because the nutrition isn't damaged by cooking. But we are hoping you'll let us help you figure out a way to feed her a balanced diet - which we can do, whether the diet is cooked homemade or other.

Many of us have transitioned extremely fussy eaters. The main thing is to find something you can use to help her eat what she *should* be.

Can you tell us what you've tried feeding her?

Have you tried offering her any organs? Liver? Kidney? Was it chicken? Beef? Lamb? If you've tried one, but not another, it's worth trying organs from different animals.

Does she like any kind of cheese? Goat milk? Yogurt?

Have you tried anything like sardines or bonito flakes?

Have you tried offering her eggs? Egg yolks?

What we need your help with is identifying something she will eat, and then we can help you use that to entice her into what she should be eating.

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She won't touch cat food full stop she will eat scampi if she wants to she isn't keen on fish she eats chicken other meats she doesn't like she will eat turkey occasionally and has been tempted by fillet steak I put taurine on her breakfast because that's when I can guarantee she will eat it all if I knew what she was missing I would get it I'm not bothered she doesn't eat wet cat food as in the summer it can go off within an hour as the temperature in the flat is very high even with 4 fans on constantly also there is a stream alongside the flat that is protected by the environmental people as it has badgers voles etc so it cannot be cleaned so in summer we have hordes of flies etc my boy cat doesn't eat anything other than a high quality dry food or again occasionally scampi be has no interest in normal food I haven't tried her on egg yolk I didn't know she could have it if someone can just tell me what she needs I will order it I don't particularly want to change her diet as she is eating well and is just a nice size for her breed now she is neutered and has never had kittens

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is 5 years old and an extremely fussy eater she won't eat wet cat food at all and yes I have tried them all even applaws she would rather go hungry I put a high quality kibble down at night which she barely touches she eats her chicken with gusto and I have spoken to my vet he said if she won't eat wet food you cannot force her to I have tried every wet food on the market all I asked was what she needs if you can't tell me that then I will do my research elsewhere she is not an uncared for moggy but an indoor pedigree cat I just wanted advice as this site came recommended but I can see I have made a mistake and no I have no intention of putting her on a raw diet as it is not feasible for her or myself as I am disabled
Feeding an unbalanced diet to a cat, which is what you described, is a very serious matter. I'm sorry if you don't like having that pointed out but it would be irresponsible of someone to know that and not point it out.

Both LDG and LaraLove have given you information and links pertaining to what your cat needs. You can ignore it if you like but you can't claim it hasn't been given to you. If you need further clarification there are plenty of people who here with the knowledge and experience to help you.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if someone can just tell me what she needs I will order it
I'm not clear what it is you are asking for. A list of supplements that you can add to the cooked chicken?  Laurie (LDG) provided a link to a recipe that lists the needed supplements.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scampi...cooked with garlic? Hopefully you mean something else since garlic is a no-no for cats.

I'm fairly certain that cats of all ages need a calcium source, as well as certain other vitamins/minerals that your cat cannot get from meat/taurine alone. I agree with others that what you're feeding needs to have certain supplements added or you need to work harder on getting her converted to a commercially prepared cat food.

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it isn't cooked in garlic as I know garlic and onions are toxic don't worry I will go to my vet and get my supplements through him as he doesn't treat me like I am a bad person or a complete idiot

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At a minimum, you should add a source of calcium. You can use ground eggshell. Rinse the egg shells, leave the membrane. Let them dry either by putting them in the sun, or by heating them in the oven until VERY dry. Then use a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder to fine grind them. Use 1/32 teaspoon per ounce of food fed (28g). Just sprinkle it on. It doesn't have much of a taste, and the amount needed is very little. She probably will not object to this.

I don't understand if you've tried feeding her liver or not, but by adding 5% of the total amount of food she eats as liver will help provide vitamin A (and other essential nutrients) that she is now not getting.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And again, I have no idea why you're thinking we're treating you like an idiot. We have NO idea what you do and don't know. Our concern is helping you feed your cat what she needs.

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am housebound disabled so needed to order her supplements online I wanted advice from people who knew rather than a company as a result I have been made to feel that dotty would be better off if I gave her away I thought I was doing the right thing asking for advice but now I feel like a total bitch I have had dotty all her life from 12 weeks I will call my vet and get his advice and order my stuff through him thanks for making someone feel totally worthless and not much better than an animal abuser

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it isn't cooked in garlic as I know garlic and onions are toxic don't worry I will go to my vet and get my supplements through him as he doesn't treat me like I am a bad person or a complete idiot
I only asked about the scampi because in the US scampi is traditionally cooked with seasonings such as garlic. The www.catnutrition.org site is written by a person I believe from the UK, so the measurements and supplements should not be a problem to find.

You asked for advice, and people gave it honestly. No one wants to see someone else's cat harmed from an unbalanced diet, just like we don't give pats on the backs of parents who might let their child try to exist on a diet of strictly Snickers and ice cream. If your vet had all these supplements to begin with, I'm not sure what you're asking of us?

salznet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because my vet is ten miles away and currently my wheelchair is not working I don't know if hehas the supplements he may need to order them in

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because my vet is ten miles away and currently my wheelchair is not working I don't know if hehas the supplements he may need to order them in
It looks like the lady at www.catnutrition.org orders her supplements from www.iherb.com.  She has a $5 off coupon for your first order.  Perhaps you should use that resource, since you seem to have access to the internet and that would save you a trip to the vet with no veterinary mark up in pricing.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For a start, just go to your local market and buy eggs. Follow the instructions that LDG posted above re: eggs shells, then at least your cat will be getting some calcium.