Freezer?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nuala has opened my freezer twice now when I am not at home. First time, I thought it was just a fluke - throw everything out and close the door. Now a few weeks later, it has happened again.

I love her endlessly but her obsession with doors is getting expensive. Any ideas on how to keep a top freezer closed? It has to be something that is secure so no little paws can open the door part way and get stuck.

I don't really mind all the other doors and drawers. Pretty much used to coming home and automatically closing everything

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat can open the freezer, I think your freezer door needs to be fixed. Freezers and fridge doors are meant to close with an air tight seal, and should not be loose enough for a cat to open.

What this means, in my opinion is that you are losing cold air out of your freezer already, causing the appliance to run much more than is necessary and running up your electric bill. I'd have a good look at the seal around the door, and get a repair person in.

One way to check is to put a slip of paper in the door when you close it. If you can pull the paper out, the door needs repairing.

Having said all that, if you have a cat with super human strength, put a baby latch on it.

<edit> when you do the paper trial, check several different spots on the seal.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. The only other thing is you could put something really heavy on top of the freezer.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get one of those things you use to keep babies from opening the fridge and put on your freezer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

If your cat can open the freezer, I think your freezer door needs to be fixed. Freezers and fridge doors are meant to close with an air tight seal, and should not be loose enough for a cat to open.

What this means, in my opinion is that you are losing cold air out of your freezer already, causing the appliance to run much more than is necessary and running up your electric bill. I'd have a good look at the seal around the door, and get a repair person in.

One way to check is to put a slip of paper in the door when you close it. If you can pull the paper out, the door needs repairing.

Having said all that, if you have a cat with super human strength, put a baby latch on it.

<edit> when you do the paper trial, check several different spots on the seal.
I tried the paper thing. I can be leaning on the freezer door and the paper still comes out when pulled. I have to tug but still slips out.

I rent so the fridge is not mine. Nuala is not super-kitty just very industrious. I'm becoming convinced she can do just about anything. Those little paws of hers must have hidden thumbs

I will look into the locks. Looks like some of them just glue on - not sure if that would be a deterrent but I'm willing to try.

Thanks!