Freeze Dried Food ?

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I have a question about freeze dried food. I have gotten a couple of bags of the Primal brand and I like to switch between flavors for my cat, but it says to store it in the fridge up to 5-7 days. and if I switch up the flavor between 4 bags then they are a lot longer in the fridge. How do you store your freeze dried food and for how long once you open a bag ?

I was thinking of maybe storing them in a mason jar?

Any help would be nice :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don’t need to store unhydrated freeze dried food in the fridge. They probably mean that you can put it in the fridge after it’s hydrated. I believe a bag of opened freeze dried is good for up to 8 weeks if unhydrated. Just keep it in a cool and dry area.

I always keep my freeze dried in the bag it came in because those bags are sealed and meant to keep it fresh. Plus you don’t want to throw away the bag because you want to keep the expiry and lot information in case there is a recall.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don’t need to store unhydrated freeze dried food in the fridge. They probably mean that you can put it in the fridge after it’s hydrated. I believe a bag of opened freeze dried is good for up to 8 weeks of unhydrated. Just keep it in a cool and dry area.

I always keep my freeze dried in the bag it came in because those bags are sealed and meant to keep it fresh. Plus you don’t want to throw away the bag because you want to keep the expiry and lot information in case there is a recall.
but it says on the bag to keep it in the fridge after opening.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using freeze dried treats?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe they do recommend refrigeration of their freeze dried treats but their dry freeze dried foods don’t need to be put in the fridge.

See here: Safe Handling

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe they do recommend refrigeration of their freeze dried treats but their dry freeze dried foods don’t need to be put in the fridge.

See here: Safe Handling
no, it's food, its the primal brand and I wanted to try the Stella and chewy brand.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as it isn’t rehydrated you can keep it in a cool dry place. Putting it in the fridge may encourage bacterial growth due to moisture.

Last edited:

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay Thank you. I will keep on the shelf now.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I just realized all the typos I made from typing on my phone. :cringe:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Primal freeze dried food for a good while and did not store it in the fridge. None of my bags said anything about storing it in the fridge. The bag even says "Once hydrated, freeze dried formula will maintain optimum freshness for 3-5 days under refrigeration." That means after water has been added to it. If it's just in the bag, you can keep it in a cupboard or wherever you choose to store it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also store our opened bags of freeze-dried Primal in the cupboard or in Oxo containers. The bag just says to store it in a cool, dry place, sealed, after opening. We only mix up and add water to enough for one meal at a time so don't worry about the days in the refrigerator!

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We also store our opened bags of freeze-dried Primal in the cupboard or in Oxo containers. The bag just says to store it in a cool, dry place, sealed, after opening. We only mix up and add water to enough for one meal at a time so don't worry about the days in the refrigerator!
yes thats what I do, I put enough in her bowl and add water so she eats all of it. I did wanted to store it in containers but people say to keep the bags for a recall..