Found More Kittens But Not Sure What To Do.

botard89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. Hoping to find some solid advice again. Just walked outside to feed some of the neighborhood cats and one of our females I was pretty sure was pregnant. I found her under our porch with two kittens. Not sure if she will have anymore or not. Not even sure when she had these. The mama cat is tame. The porch she is under only has lattuce and when it rains, it easily get soaked under there. I don't think it's really a safe place to have them. Here it has been raining pretty much every day. My question is should I attempt to move them indoor for the time being or just leave them all be? Not even a week ago we had three kittens pass away from something upper respiratory related (thinking wet FIP) but I'm wondering would it even be safe to bring them to the other side of the house even after the cleaning from these others? I don't want to have to go through this again with the deaths, and I know sometimes it just can't be truly avoided but at the same time I don't want to feel I turned my back on some animals in a time of need neither. Any advice, suggestions? For any I am thankful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there any possibility you can arrange someone else takes them?
If momma is tame it shouldnt be difficult no expert is necessary. And you can always give advice through the phone.

You can also pay back some of the costs - same you yourself would have.
Or even better - perhaps possible to change favors.
Anything to help you arrange a creative solution.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There may even be another rescuer but having adult foster...
Switch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

botard89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any possibility you can arrange someone else takes them?
If momma is tame it shouldnt be difficult no expert is necessary. And you can always give advice through the phone.

You can also pay back some of the costs - same you yourself would have.
Or even better - perhaps possible to change favors.
Anything to help you arrange a creative solution.
Unfortunately I don't have any one at this moment that can. My girlfriend works with a lady that runs a foster type service but right now they are unprotected and in the dirt not far off from garbage cans. I worry about something getting them, dogs, ants, or it raining tomorrow.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes its a dilemma. Phone this lady perhaps she has some idea.

If it was fip you shouldnt have the kittens you really shouldnt touch them.

It could have been some sort of pus causing bacteria. If so its a luttle easier to clean and sterilise.
Still the danger essentially thw same.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have gloves and totally different clothes on and try with another part of the house if you cant solve it in a safer way.
Pray and hope.

botard89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she is not an contact of mine. My girlfriend doesn't want to get involved, which I do understand. I have disinfected my hands many time since contact with anything that may even have had any contact with wet FIP if that was even what it was. It's one of those tricky situations. I have a room ready that none of these other cats go into. I could put her and the kittens in there until tomorrow and then maybe by then I'd have something to do. I guess you never can be sure. So would you suggest I just learned them out here for the night? It's a warm summer night.
Yes its a dilemma. Phone this lady perhaps she has some idea.

If it was fip you shouldnt have the kittens you really shouldnt touch them.

It could have been some sort of pus causing bacteria. If so its a luttle easier to clean and sterilise.
Still the danger essentially thw same.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You dont need to mention your girlfriend . Just phone as one rescuer to another and ask for help. "You had heard somewhere she helps cats"
You can propose a switch.

Orherwise you can take the other room . I dont dare to give advices you must yourself choose the lesser risk you are the pilot and the prayers are yours too.

botard89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You dont need to mention your girlfriend . Just phone as one rescuer to another and ask for help. "You had heard somewhere she helps cats"
You can propose a switch.

Orherwise you can take the other room . I dont dare to give advices you must yourself choose the lesser risk you are the pilot and the prayers are yours too.
Ok. Thank you. I will get something taken care of either way. I'll have updates hopefully.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s unlikely you had three kittens die from FIP. Disinfect your home thoroughly and bring them inside, with mom.

Are you working to spay and neuter these neighborhood cats?

botard89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, no. There is no way for me to currently get them fixed. I have heard of a capture, tag, and release in the area but some of these cats go from home to home around here. The reason I thought the three kittens from another mom might have passed from wet FIP is because when looking into it it said it could kill them from 1-3 days. A very fast killer with some signs that can resemble other illnesses. I am by no means a vet. I do know though that from that first litter one of her kittens survived dry FIP and the other one didn't so the history is there for it. I do realize that they could have developed pneumonia which I hear is a very common killer of kittens. These were a month so it would make sense. I would likely rule out birth defects due to them all dying over the course of two days back to back. It seems like with them it was something that was contageous. I just know to be careful. As for this current litter of two, I have set out a box near to where the mama cat has them. She is keeping them there. I might have to trust her instincts to shelter them better but just be on stand-by. She is a first time mother after all. If I need to step in I can easily get the box up and get it inside without having to handle the kittens as much as necessary. Also,the mama cat and I have tried that already temporarily because I wasn't entirely sure what to do last night and it worked fine except she isn't litter box trained. She has never been an inside cat. Sorry for the long post. Will keep updated.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very rare for even one kitten to get FIP, so I really don't think this is what you were dealing with. It could have been panleuk.

Regardless, disinfect extremely well.

You can train a cat to use a litter box. It is instinctual. You might have to fill the box with dirt for her at first so she gets the idea.

In terms of spaying and neutering, you can use a humane trap to catch the cats even if they do span several properties. It's so important to their health, and the population will truly grow out of control without intervention.

botard89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all. Just wanted to give a quick update. Unfortunately, one of the two kittens have passed away today. He was taken to the vet along with mom and the other one. They tested the mom for all the major stuff and said he was good on all of that so they didn't think she passed anything to the kittens. The orange kitten they said is as fit as a fiddle. The black and white one is the one that passed. They suspected something possibly neurological wrong because it was shaking and noted that it didn't have that many fleas and wasn't so cold to where it should have been shaking even though it was starting to lose some body heat. It's very sad but I just hope he is in a better place and I guess I have to find comfort in knowing that whatever was going on with him, he isn't suffering anymore. Thanks everyone for keeping up with this and if there are any further updates I will post them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry to hear this! Good that mom and the remaining kitten are doing well.