Found kitten need advice

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. Me and my girlfriend found this kitten outside 2 nights ago. We brought him in and have started him on watered down wet food. He has yet to poop or pee. We're not sure if he's old enough to go on his own or if he still needs stimulation. We've tried stimulating him but it isn't working. Any advice (PS he definitely can eat wet food because he has little teeth and was left by his mom but we're adding kitten milk just in case)? He hasn't been to the vet yet because we found him late Friday night and non of the offices near us are open on the weekends.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Are his eyes still blue? If so he is less than seven weeks old. Maybe if you post a picture we can guess at age. It is good he is eating or drinking but needs to potty as well. He possibly Was dehydrated and had had an empty belly before you got him I suppose. I would get him in to a vet tomorrow I’d you can.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe something here will be useful. I agree that the kitten may have been dehydrated. However, using a slightly warm damp washcloth to stimulate may help. Short strokes like a mom cat tongue. Be on the lookout for other kittens and mom. It’s a very good chance that others are near.
Click on this link to read.How Old Is My Kitten? [An Illustrated Guide] – TheCatSite Articles Thanks for rescuing! Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are his eyes still blue? If so he is less than seven weeks old. Maybe if you post a picture we can guess at age. It is good he is eating or drinking but needs to potty as well. He possibly Was dehydrated and had had an empty belly before you got him I suppose. I would get him in to a vet tomorrow I’d you can.
Yes his eyes are still blue. He was most likely abandoned. I'll try and get a picture but he is a wiggly baby so it may be hard

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet, as soon as possible. Also, as previously mentioned, try a warm, moist washcloth to stimulate him.

Do you have a bottle for feeding him kitten milk? If you don't have a bottle, try the store where you got the KMR. If you can't get one, try a makeup sponge or the corner of a washcloth, soaked in KMR. I'd switch him over entirely to KMR for the time being; he may be able to eat solid food, but that doesn't mean he's really ready for it. Certainly at less than 7 weeks old he shouldn't be eating only canned food.

Keep him warm and try to feed him every couple of hours or so. And when your vet says it's time to start him on wet (canned) food, try to get canned kitten food, not adult food. It has more calories, and growing kittens need lots of calories! (Especially wiggly growing kittens. ;))
:climbcat::dizzycat::runningcat:

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet, as soon as possible. Also, as previously mentioned, try a warm, moist washcloth to stimulate him.

Do you have a bottle for feeding him kitten milk? I'd switch him over entirely to that for the time being; he may or may not be able to eat solid food, but he isn't eating it and he may be more inclined to nurse. Keep him warm and try to feed him every couple of hours or so. And when you decide it's time to start him on wet (canned) food, try to get canned kitten food, not adult food. It has more calories, and growing kittens need lots of calories! (Especially wiggly growing kittens. ;))
:climbcat::dizzycat::runningcat:

Margret
Currently he has a 4:1 kitten milk to wet food ratio. We had him on just milk for the first 2 days but now we're trying to see if he would try the food.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He seems to be about 5 weeks. So he is old enough to begin to transit him into wet food, but in nature he would still nurse momma. Ie, he is unusued to it, hours before he was alone he did only nursed, nothing else...

An alternative to kmr is goats milk. You can always use gots milk as supplement, even when he no longer needs it.

Continue to report; if his pooing doesnt start, there are other tricks.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An alternative to kmr is goats milk. You can always use gots milk as supplement, even when he no longer needs it.
In fact, if you can find goat's milk that isn't pasteurized that may be better for him than KMR; it contains some useful antibodies. Be sure to warm it for him, though. Unfortunately, I'm not certain what the correct temperature is. StefanZ StefanZ ?

Margret

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In fact, if you can find goat's milk that isn't pasteurized that may be better for him than KMR; it contains some useful antibodies. Be sure to warm it for him, though. Unfortunately, I'm not certain what the correct temperature is. StefanZ StefanZ ?

Margret
Body temp is good. About 36-37 Celsius, or 100F. May be a shade higher, no problem.

With such a kitten whom isnt longer an infant it may be a shade lower too, no problem. As long as its not directly from the refrigerator.