Found Abandoned Kitten!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, he looks great! He does look to have more fur and  a lot bigger than his first pictures.

leopordnose1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
AWWWW OMG!!!!! SO SAD i have 3 kittens im tyring to find homes for but if i didnt i would save a cat from a pound.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's adorable! I've been following this thread since you found him, and it's great to hear that he's doing so well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
momto3cats momto3cats
I'm thrilled he's doing well, too. This is the first time I've taken care of such a young animal--especially one a few days premature. He was so tiny and cold when we first found him. I'm glad that he's doing so much better than before. I just want to know if the mom cat has other kittens. I'd hate to think a whole litter went through what he did.

N nansiludie
Yes, he is much bigger! :D I couldn't have been happier when I saw his lil furry tummy early this morning. I've been trying to slow his eating down a bit. I think he's overeating. I don't want him to get sick.

Thanks all of you who follow this thread and reply to my millions of questions. I'd be a mess without all of you!

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay! Update for the day.
Little kitty weighs 4.9 oz (139 grams) and he's 1 week old today. He's so far skipped the smaller feedings throughout the day and has chosen to take 1 tsp of formula every 3 hours.
He sleeps longer due to his feeding schedule changing, which I suspect is due to a growths spurt. I've already noticed his face filling out, as well. His little bones are beginning to grow. Also, his missing fur seems to be filling in fast!

I'm left with a deliema, though. I want to pick out a name for him and, since I'm not 100% sure he is a "he," I'll have to pick out one from both genders.
I was thinking on naming him something from Greek Mythology. I want him to have nice, strong name.
Anyone have any suggestions?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear the good update. I don't know much about Greek Mythology but to me he looks like an Oreo cookie, doublestuffed. I say Oreo or Otis, I like Oreo better though.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I need some help! The little boy seems to be constipated. What can I do for him? I already message his tummy after every feeding. What else can I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try putting a few drops of mineral oil into his formula to soften his stool.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@sarthur2 I don't have mineral oil.
Is there anything else I can do/use?
You can use vegetable food oil too.  Its less potent, but also there is no danger with it.

My favorites are coldpressed canola = rapeseed oil, and coldpressed virgin olive oil.   Both are also healthy and nutrious oils by themselves. 

If you dont have them at hand, prob most vegetable food oils should do, as the common recipe often sayjs just  vegetable oil.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try rubbing his belly with a finger or two in a clockwise motion and then downward motion.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! The little guy is constipated. I feel real bad. I've watered down his formula by a 0.5 tsp because of thay. It makes me sad to see him like this. I phoned a vet and she wasn't much help--which was weird. She told me to try and place a rectal thermometer into his lil but to try and stimulate him that way. I have to go purchase one from the pet store. So far today he's been doing better. He's pooped 4 times, but they are still hard and small. This last time it was almost back to the consistency it should be, though very small. Which can be expected because I watered his formula down. So far I have switch from a diluted formula, to a straight formula every now-and-then. It's looking good so far.

With that being said:
•He weighs 5.6 oz (161 grams)
•He's still very active and vocal at meal times. He's constantly smacking my hands away and squirming for a nipple to suckle on. Other then that he sleeps like he should.
•The fur on his tummy has completely formed. It's the cutest little white fur I've ever seen. :)
•He loves to get stimulated. When I start he automatically rolls onto his back so I can give him a belly rub--which he purrs happily for. He pees a LOT. It's a very pale shade of yellow. I also massage his sides and down his back to the bass of his tail. After that he only falls asleep again as a gently message his back and sides as he lays in my hands.

I think his eyes will open soon. 3-4 days tops. His ears have already started as well. He's only 9 days old, and he was a few days premature, so there is no rush for him.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a little sweetheart! You're doing a great job with him! It will be exciting when he opens his eyes! Hoping he continues pooping well for you. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's gorgeous, I can't wait to see his eyes open.

Did the vegetable oil you added to his food help at all?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try another Vet? Possibly a cat-only vet? He looks much better than he did at first, much bigger too.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Norachan

I can't wait to see him open his eyes either! This little guy is so spoiled already. When he throws in his kitten, round kitten eyes, he'll get anything he wants. :) I did use one drop of canola oil in one of his feedings. But, other than that, no. I just increased his water intake. That seemed to work for him best. That, along with 5-6 minute tummy rubs.

@nansiludie

He's fine now. After he got more water into his body, the poop started to come. He's went 3 times since then. They still aren't complete soft like they should be, but they're getting there with each feeding that has more water. I'm just happy he isn't constipated anymore. It was sad seeing him like that! I very glad he's doing fine. He'll also be going to the vet in a few weeks. I don't want to travel with him yet unless it is completely necessary. 

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay! Today's Update!

He is doing fine now. His stool is still a little on the hard side, but it seems to be getting softer--and fast. He's gone poop 3 times since yesterday.

•He weighs 5.9 oz (170 grams) at 10 days old.

•He gets all fussy if he doesn't get 2 teaspoons of formula. After that he passes out as he's getting stimulated. (The picture at the end is of him knocking out after I finished his tummy rub.)

•While still obviously wobbly, he's more active in his crawling. To get going he has a little surge of movement, the pulls himself to where he wants to go (which is normally to me.)

•His eyes just started to open! Only a little bit, but I'm super excited for that. They'll be completely open in a day or two. I'll be happy knowing when he's awake or not.

(A little snippet of my experience so far.)

I'm glad he's done so well lately. I was scared when we first found him he was cold and weighing under 2.6 oz. I'm glad that he's now almost 6 oz and is a warm little fur ball.
The first week had been the hardest with him. I was up every 2 hrs and barely ate because I was so worried about him. He took up all my time, not that I'm complaining at all. I loved this little guy the moment i saw him, and I wanted to see him thrive! The first few hours I had him he was so quiet I had to constantly check if he was breathing. He'd make a little mew every now and then. But other than that he just slept.
It was a lot to take in as quickly as I had too. This is the first time I've taken care of an animal that young. I spent nearly the first 3 days reading as much as I could about raising a newborn kitten.
At 3 days till he's 2 weeks old, he has had a very happy kitty life so far. I can't wait to see how he grows in these coming weeks!!

Until next update!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such a fantastic update! He is the cutest little kitty! You're spoiling his little self rotten - as it should be. I am excited to watch his progress too! What a great job you are doing raising him. You'll be surprised at his growth and progress over these coming weeks! :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's adorable. The bond between bottle babies and their human Mums is really special, that's something you'll cherish for ever.

Does he have a name yet?