Found Abandoned Kitten!

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@NikkyKay  I'll put in my 2 cents about my 20 years experience naming the family animal friends. I "temporarily" named my 4 grandkittens based on their personality and now they behave differently but the names stuck 

Little Grey is still a gray kitty (Russian Blue). His new family named him Conan the Grey.

Little Grin (after his mom Grin) was a quick little hunter baby, zipping by and fighting with his older bro Grey. Now he's a cautious and big baby. Since I got used to calling him Grinnie, he is over 11 weeks old and I'm still deciding on his name and changing it. Now I'm at Pietro Quick-Grinnie or Pietro Grin-Silver, not very sure of the name "Pietro" but it's to relate the twins Colita (see below and him) ... still deciding

Binxie is a black kitty, he was the only one I named in hopes it stuck... his new family kept the name and I am so happy 

Colita (Tail-y), twin sister to Grinnie, was a handsome little baby, wreaking havoc against her 3 older brothers. When she grew a little, I named her Wanda but wasn't too sure it fit her, now, she still has a crooked tail but is a little quiet princess 
 Since my family already calls her Colita, the name stuck. Her name now is Colita Wanda Mew 

I really need to decide on Grinnie and Colita's official names for vet reasons since Colita can also mean "Little Butt" in Spanish and Grinnie's name would technically be Grin (like his mom and it would just confuse the vet)
 but to me they'll always be Grinnie and Colita.

Ultimately you can change his / her name or give him multiple ones... kitty is your baby and you can name his as much as you want 
 I saw a thread about changing the name of your cat, I thought maybe you would like to give it a read if you have a chance 
 It's not long 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/137427/changing-a-cats-name

I name the babies by looking at them straight in the little faces and eyes and saying the name. They don't have to respond to it... Shocker! But it has to feel right to you that that is their name.

Best of luck and fun naming this little kid and please do keep up with the updates and let us know what you choose to name him (Sparky is a great name as well! He does look to me like a Sparky, Atlas or a Sparky Atlas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny enough, I wanted to name a cat Dr.JarvisMeow. I opted to just use that name for a pet cat in a story. it just sounds weird saying it out loud. :p

catmamac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg he's so cute so glad you found him and he's doing well

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have a question for all of you. Since he'll start weaning in a weeks time from tomorrow, what are some brands of food you reccommended? I want to start him out on wet food.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, you are doing an amazing job on the little guy!! I love seeing the progress he's made and the photos!

I can't offer advice, but I will be following the rest of the journey here!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend Fancy Feast Kitten in Turkey Feast, as that line is made with cat milk. It also comes in OceanFish but I noticed kittens started on fishy flavors tend to more picky later in life. Also make sure you do not give him any flaked/chunked/bits cat food only smooth pate as anything else is a real choking hazard. He's a cute little guy. Have you decided on a name? I've noticed also the earlier they are named the better they respond to it. I had nicknamed one of my little bottle babies Minion and that's all he knew so it stuck. Now he is about 8 pounds of furry, tabby Minion-ness. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's so little that you may want to add formula to his wet food to make it into mush in the beginning. It makes it super easy for them to lap and swallow, in order to get used to the taste and to digesting it. I also use Fancy Feast. When you think he's ready, put a dish of kitten chow down for him to nibble on around the clock. And once he's off the bottle, he'll probably continue to drink his formula from a dish for awhile for maximum nutrition.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have an update on the name list.

Loki
Blaze
Titan
Aries
Ares
Salem
Atlas
Dragon
Kastor
Khaos
Eclipse
Fang
Pandor(a)
Pharaoh
Zero
Ambrose
Syn (Sin)
Nomad
Emperor
Kodak
Marvel

My parents like Khaos, I like that and Kastor, and my younger brother is no help with the naming. I don't know.

What do you think?

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
magiksgirl magiksgirl
Sadly my parents don't like the name Dr.JarvisMeow. lol. Dr.Dragon is another one but they aren't digging the "Dr."

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First of all, he is so adorable.  It is such a miracle that your parents discovered him and that you were able to save him.

As for the name, I too love Dr.JarvisMeow.

However, I'm also partial to naming pets with names that end with they "ee" sound, so I'd probably go with Loki.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually ended up naming them one thing then changing it within days or a few weeks after that.

I like Loki but when I saw his last 2 pictures the name Jester came to mind. Good luck with his name. I can't wait to see more updates on this little man.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could always just stick with the name Jarvis. That's cute too and sounds so smart and strong like he seems to be.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with @kntrygrl256  you can officially name him Jarvis (if your parents like that), but you could call him Dr. Jarvis Meow or however you like, just not officially. 

My cats are named "Gato" as a title: Gato Grin, Gato Wanda Mew, Gato Grinnie, Gato Conan the Grey, etc. But their official vet record names are or will be Grin, Wanda, Grinnie, Conan the Grey, etc.

It's a sneaky way to name them however you want 

I'm still fond on him being named Atlas since it's a very strong name which would match him perfectly 

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today's update!
This little guy is 3 weeks old!
×He weighs 12.2 oz, (or 346 grams)
×He's starting to walk so much better and he can sit properly now. He's still shaky but it's all good. He loves to explore my bed. He'll walk around for a bit after he eats, only to slowly fall asleep mid-step.
×His teeth are starting to come in. He's chewing on anything he can get his mout on. His blanket, my fingers, chin, nose, and lips, or his paws.
×He can hear so much better.
×He's very active at feeding time. My poor hands have suffered many scratches due to his eagerness to eat. I'd like some advice as to how to calm him down when he gets the bottle. Also, how to get him to drink from a new nipple. It was exhausting to try and get him to drink for the new one. I had to switch to the old one so he could get his food.
×He's also getting a "big kitty" face. :3

A little story:
The other day I put him back in his crate after he was burped, fed and potty-ed. He seemed like he wanted my attention for some reason. He'd stare at me intently with his big eyes, only to paw at his blanket and lay down. A couple minutes had passed and he had gone to sleep, so I started closing the zipper on the crate. His little head popped up as soon as he heard the zipper, doing the same thing four other times. He seemed keen on having me watch him sleep and not closing the crate at all. It was really cute.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My heart melts every time I see all of his cuteness! He wanted you to cuddle him before his nap! Awww!

I have no ideas about his frantic bottle behavior. I know he must love it as much for food as for comfort. Honestly, kittens can be just as eager to latch onto mama as well, then they "knead" with their little paws. Is there any way you can position him with a towel so that he can knead the towel while he drinks? And kittens choose a nipple on mama and stick with it too!

Lovely, fun report! Thank you! So enjoying watching him grow! :)

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so about the food for his intro to weaning next week.
I want to get him high quality food. We have four dogs who eat quality food, so why not do the same for the little guy? I will be starting off with wet kitten food and adding in his formula, then add in some dry food of the same brand late on. I want him on a diet of both foods. (We also have a fountain for our dogs, so his water intake should be good.)

I just want the usual: no corn, wheat, or soy, mostly meat. I rather him not eat fish, too. It doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive or cheap, I just want a good brand food for him.

So far people have reccommended Fancy Feast in general for him. I am taking that into account as well. If I have to change his diet later on in his life, that's fine. I'd just want to know what you guys prefer to feed your little babies.

Last edited: