Found A Friendly Stray Cat. What Can I Do To Help Him?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
will my current resident cat be at risk for anything?
You can double-check with the vet but I think your cat will be fine. It might be suggested to keep them separated for a short time (for example the new cat sequestered in a bathroom), but other than that I think all will be well.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the clinic do a SNAP test. That's the most important test for a stray or feral cat that is going to be around other cats. It tests for both feline leukemia and Feline AIDS. I believe it costs about 25 or $35, but perhaps the clinic will do it for a discounted fee. If that test comes back negative, once the cat has flea treatment and is dewormed, she can safely interact with your resident cat once appropriate introductions have been done.

It sounds like you have really fallen in love with this cat. Looking at her picture, I can understand why, she is adorable. Have you named her yet? I am of the opinion that almost every cat is happier having a cat buddy around. When they become friends, they snuggle together, play together, and groom each other. Even when two cats don't become close, I think it is still a comfort for them to have one of their own around. I hope that your boyfriend will come to care for her the way you do. Even if you don't end up keeping her, but find a home for her, all that you are doing now is making all of the difference in the world. Blessings on you for helping her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask the clinic do a SNAP test. That's the most important test for a stray or feral cat that is going to be around other cats. It tests for both feline leukemia and Feline AIDS. I believe it costs about 25 or $35, but perhaps the clinic will do it for a discounted fee. If that test comes back negative, once the cat has flea treatment and is dewormed, she can safely interact with your resident cat once appropriate introductions have been done.

It sounds like you have really fallen in love with this cat. Looking at her picture, I can understand why, she is adorable. Have you named her yet? I am of the opinion that almost every cat is happier having a cat buddy around. When they become friends, they snuggle together, play together, and groom each other. Even when two cats don't become close, I think it is still a comfort for them to have one of their own around. I hope that your boyfriend will come to care for her the way you do. Even if you don't end up keeping her, but find a home for her, all that you are doing now is making all of the difference in the world. Blessings on you for helping her.

That is great advice, thank you.

I truly have fallen in love with this cat. She is just a sweetheart. Now that I've found her, I feel that she is my responsibility to get her safe and healthy. I haven't named her yet haha, because I'm trying to come up with the perfect name for her. I've always thought about getting another cat for Milo because he has a ton of energy, but wanted to wait when I graduated and was more financially stable. But maybe this is a sign. Thank you for your kind words. Cats have always had a special place in my heart.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hithere:Do you have the SNAP test results yet? Bless you for rescuing this poor kitty. Our girl Gypsy was the neighborhood stray when she allowed us to become her loving minions :worship: Please post more photos of both of your fur babys :camera: :please:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hithere:Do you have the SNAP test results yet? Bless you for rescuing this poor kitty. Our girl Gypsy was the neighborhood stray when she allowed us to become her loving minions :worship: Please post more photos of both of your fur babys :camera: :please:
Thanks :) Well I haven't taken her to the vet yet, my plan was to take her to the vet on Thursday. But I haven't seen her since Wednesday! :( She hasn't been around her box and I've even walked around the block every day to try and find her. I'm sooo sad because I'm so worried that something happened to her. On wednesday night, I looked out my window to check up on her, and there was this huge cat eating the food I left out for her and she was hiding in the corner. So, I'm wondering if that has made her not want to come back. I'm not sure.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:censored: Oh I am so sorry! :cloudy:Don't give up! Keep looking and putting food out. For now shoo the big cat away, did it have a collar? :frown: When you saw her in the corner did you go to her with food? Did you talk to her? If you can catch the poor little dear do you have a crate to keep her in til you can get to the vet?:frustrated:

Last edited: