Fostering Pregnant Cat That Is Due And Huge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it be that maybe it is just a little bit irritated or something? Or do you think maybe you just mastitis? It just seems a lot bigger than the other nipples

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ouch! That looks sore. It’s raw and chapped from overuse. It must be a favorite! However, when it begins to crack, bacteria can get in and cause infection, which becomes mastitis. You want to avoid that.

Put a warm, damp compress on it for a few minutes, then lather the nipple and surrounding areas with bag balm, coconut oil, or olive oil (all non-toxic). In fact, apply to all her nipples and mammaries, and continue 2-3 times a day.

If that one is no better tomorrow, email the pictures to your vet. He/she may want to prescribe antibiotics.

Let’s see how she is tomorrow!

B Blondee922

Last edited:

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2F0345A2-E776-49BE-A09C-CC4B56EAB60E.jpeg
Nipple looks better, less red and swollen but the tissue around it felt firm (like when I was nursing and I needed to pump) then one of the kittens nursed in it and it was softer so I think all is well.

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I did, for as long as she’d allow. Her nipple felt softer and was less irritated

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, kittens are 18 days old now (almost 3 weeks already!)
I am concerned that one might have the cold that Esther had before they were born. Her cold seemed to pass quickly and I did do antibiotics for her at that time that the rescue gave me. I don’t know if they helped or if the virus just ran it’s course. But it seems the kitten has it, he is still gaining weight rapidly and is eating like a champ and the rescue people don’t seem too concerned. I told the lady he had sneezed a few times and his eyes looked a little watery and she told me to give him 1/4 of the decongestant I was giving Esther (it’s an antihistamine I think) and I texted her back and asked if he needs antibiotics too. I’m waiting to hear back. The kittens have been sequestered and not had any outside contact with other cats, animals, etc. is it possible that they caught their mothers cold from 4-5 weeks ago?
Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom carries the herpes virus that caused colds, the kittens can get it from her. Herpes is very common. Since the kittens are nursing mom, they are getting her antibodies right now, which helps their immune system.

Unless the kittens develop sinus infections or chest congestion, it should pass without need for antibiotics. Keep an eye out! :)

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten update, they are a little over three weeks now and really starting to get playful and cute. They ventured out of their little cabinet nest today not too far though. I did notice that the other day when Esther got very hyper she was a little bit rough with the kittens is this normal? I don’t want her to hurt them she is very young herself and still extremely playful

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mama cats begin playing a bit rough with their kittens when they leave the nest. This is how she teaches them manners!

If it gets too rough once in awhile feel free to break it up.