Fostering Pregnant Cat That Is Due And Huge

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I’m fostering a pregnant cat for a rescue (I am probably keeping her though bc she’s great). We’ve had her for 2 weeks now. They thought she was due any day when we got her... she wasn’t bc she’s 3 times the size she was 2 weeks ago....since then I’ve treated her for an upper respiratory infection, tapeworms and fleas. She is finally well and She is very sweet and likes her new area (large basement bathroom and basement roaming privledges when someone in the basement with her) I have a few questions, I’ve read every single post I can find but haven’t seen this asked... she is unable to reach her privates bc her stomach is so huge, how will she deliver the kittens if she can’t reach to lick down there?
When should I change out the bedding when the birth is over? Immediately or do I let her rest in the dirty stuff?
Also, I’m feeding her Royal Canin mother baby food, does she need any additional supplemental food after the birth?

Thanks!

Attachments

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Thank you for rescuing her! She is beautiful! Once the kittens move down to the birthing canal she will be able to reach herself for birth. I usually wait a couple of hours after she is settled and nursing the babies to change the bedding (I usually layer it and just replace the top two layers). She might enjoy wet food. I also offer my mommas a dish of KMR for the extra calcium for momma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I’ve been trying to get her to eat the canned Royal Canin mother baby as well and she has so far rejected it, but maybe after the babies come she will want it. I think she must have a lot of kittens in there bc her tummy is HUGE! She is young and I assume this is her first litter. Hopefully she has them today or this weekend.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Your mama-to-be is beautiful. :catlove: Looking forward to kitten pictures. :camera:

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was very vocal today and I think she must be getting close, her little boobies dropped today. Her tummy is SO big, I feel sorry for her.

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She can lick herself now, so things must be progressing.
Quick question, what should I do if she doesn’t seem to like her nesting box? It’s large and has a soft bed at the bottom with towels on top. She is trying to lay on the tile floor alll the time. Should I keep putting her in the box?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, let her be. The tile feels cool to her. My cat did this too, and went to her nesting box when she was ready to deliver.

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no babies, I was convinced they were coming last night so I slept in the basement room with her... he lady parts looked more open last night than they do now and there was definitely a fluid coming out last night as well. I notice she’s resting more tonight and seems less frantic.

Attachments

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg!! Still no babies! This poor cat is so huge! How can her little tummy stretch anymore? I feel so sorry for her! She is showing all pre labor signs but no babies!

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no babies! I’m getting worried, we are supposed to go out of town fri-mon and if she doesn’t have the babies before then I may have to hire someone to stay with her. If she has them I have a girl that will come in to weigh the babies and supplement if needed but I’m not sure she could handle supervising a kitten delivery.
She is in her little bed cabinet nest right now licking herself so maybe they will come tonight.

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are here I have my adult friend and her 14 year old daughter that is earning her Girl Scouts animal rescue badge. Thy will come Over several Times a day to check on mom and babies and supplement if needed... but finding someone that can do delivery would be tough. If it wasn’t a 5 hour drive I’d bring her with me. Prayingthey come tonight! I’m dying to see what colors they will be because of her calico/tabby striped colors!

Attachments

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plus she has a bobtail and I am curious if any of the kittens will have similar tails!

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg it’s happening!!!!
She’s in labor for sure!!! She’s making little crying sounds, Do I need to help? I’ve watched everything and read everything there is to read but I think I’ve forgotten it all now bc of the excitement!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just remain calm and sit with her for comfort. Most cats manage fine on their own. You’ll know if she needs help.

Blondee922

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First one is still born, I suctioned it’s nose and mouth performed cpr and nothing