Fostering Kittens For The First Time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got some olive oil and a big bottle of flavorless pedialyte... what's the pedialyte for again? :s

And I also got powdered gnc formula. I couldn't find any whey based formula :/ they all seem to be skim milk based in my local pet stores.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put a few drops of oil in the formula to help soften the poop, and check out other threads. This issue is frequently dealt with in other threads. :)

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put a few drops of oil in the formula to help soften the poop, and check out other threads. This issue is frequently dealt with in other threads. :)
I'll look around :p

Would it be ok if I were to mix the powdered formula in a cooking pot along with water while it's warming up?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is better to mix the formula and water in its own container, then heat it by placing the container in the warmed pot of water. Does this make sense?

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got done making the formula. It's looking alittle light to me. It's not thick like the pre-mixed stuff, is it supposed to be like that?

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it looks different than the pre-mixed. Did you use 2 parts water to one part powder?
I'm honestly not sure what the means (I'm not math savvy :'c )
But I put 7 tablespoons of formula (they say to put 5 tablespoons) in a water bottle which is about 16.9 fl oz

Did I screw up? :s

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The ratio needs to be properly mixed. What do the directions say on the can?

The 2:1 ration means: If you used 7 tablespoons of powder, you would then add double that amount of water, which in this case would be 14 tablespoons of water, which is actually 7 fluid ounces. So you’ve used too much water. This means the nutritional value of the mixture is diluted way more than it should be.

So if you use 5 tablespoons of powder, you then add 10 tablespoons of water.

Does this make sense?

Flapjack's Mom Flapjack's Mom

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

"Mixing directions: Address milk replacer powder to warm water in a 1:2 ratio..."
So basically I just need to add more powder? :eek:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if you used all 16.9 fluid ounces of water, you would need to add another 9 tablespoons of powder to this batch.

Do you understand how to mix it next time?

You’ll need to store it in the fridge and heat it as needed.

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it too early to give these babies a dawn bath? I saw a flea on one of them (I pinched it off and squished it between my fingernails) and I wanna eradicate the problem.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a flea comb on them for now. At 5 weeks you can put a tube of Advantage II for Kittens on the back of each of their necks. Walmart or pet stores will have flea combs.

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to give one alittle butt bath because he had a poo-splosion >_<
I just used warm water to wash him off. And I made sure they were nice and dry :)

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are some signs that a kitten is starting to open their eyes? I think the black and white one might be, but I'm not entirely sure

Also, I don't think the black kitten is fond of the powdered formula :/ normally he's/she's a healthy eater but this morning, i'm trying to use the powdered gnc on Panther baby, and he's reluctant.
I'm gonna take them to my vet today to give em a once over, making sure everything's going ok.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are seeing tiny slits the eyes are starting to open. Once they start to open the eyes usually take 1-3 days to open completely. Sometimes one eye opens before the other. Not every kitten in the same litter will open its eyes at the same time. The normal span is 7-14 days, with short-haired kittens opening their eyes earlier than long-haired kittens.

Do gently wipe across the eyes as they open with a soft, warm, damp cloth to remove any crust or tears. If you see yellow or green pus there may be eye infection which is easily treated with terramycin antibiotic eye ointment.

Are your kittens’ eyes opening yet?

Also, how is the kitten doing who was not eating the GNC formula?

Flapjack's Mom Flapjack's Mom

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Yes!!!! :D Bunny opened his eyes first, Dorian is closely following through :p
And they LOVE the powdered gnc formula now, they're putting themselves into little milk comas :yess: