Fostering Kittens For The First Time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmm foster fail here! 3 kittens my mom planned on adopting the girls from the getgo but ‘the boys need to be adopted out!’ Fast forward. Jackie was adopted out, my cat died and I moved and adopted Nick the baby panther no one wanted for all of one day, Jackie was returned the next. (I still can’t believe Jackie got three homes and that wanted him and the perfectly behaved panther no one wanted just because he was black!!!!) I could keep Nick (& find Jackie a new home) or let my mom have him because her girl was lonely I wound up adopting Jackie just to ensure he had a good home (& because I knew 100% Nick would have a great home with my mom.) So both boys wound up staying but the hyper trouble maker my mom said no way to, I kept. :lol: I guess I needed a new punk since my hyper problem child bud Dante died. Ironically it is Nick not Cami who snuggles my mom.

My bud Dante passing the punk torch to Jackie: 4B57BC19-88D9-4B4E-A579-71CC534987FF.jpeg

Jackie & Nick on one of their play dates:
A5DC227A-7596-4796-9B63-323F1B35B9A8.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is PetAg a good formula for the kittens? The shelter gave me gnc brand but unfortunately Petsmart was out of the liquid version and they only had powder available which I'm not comfortable in using yet of fear of constipation. And Petco doesn't carry the gnc brand e_e

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used that brand on my kittens (powdered.) However if it causes tummy upsets then you can always use goats milk (full fat, powdered or liquid.) With kittens the usual worry is the runs. Because your kittens are fully hydrated, hopefully you will not have more constipation issues. My boy went probably a full day without liquids ..... plus being the runt of 6 he probably got less milk, which is why he was so constipated.

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The powdered PetAg is by far better than pre-mixed liquid. For some reason the liquid seems to make kittens sick. Stick with the powder. GNC is fine too. If constipation occurs, add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. :)
Uh oh :( is that with any pre-mixed formula or just PetAg? I don't wanna risk them getting sick because 1. the vet's are closed Sundays and 2. I don't want them to die because of it. Either way I'll be sure to imform my boyfriend so I can exchange it out.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that to be true with most whey-based kmr products. Canned goat milk doesn't seem to cause that issue. If all you can get (or want to use) is canned kmr, you can dilute it with water (no unfiltered tap or otherwise chemical-laden water, please) and feed more often since the nutrients are being diluted. I suggest keeping unflavored pedialyte in your Kitten Kit to have on hand.
Also, I do not use baby wipes, unscented or not, to clean their bottoms.On rare occasion the chemicals in the wipes can irritate sensitive genitourinary tissues - we recently had a member whose neonate wasn't able to be stimulated because of swelling caused by unscented baby wipes - a savvy vet quickly figured it out.
I cannot thank you enough for fostering! I love your due diligence - you are an answer to cat rescuers' prayers everywhere! :cheerleader::rock:

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find that to be true with most whey-based kmr products. Canned goat milk doesn't seem to cause that issue. If all you can get (or want to use) is canned kmr, you can dilute it with water (no unfiltered tap or otherwise chemical-laden water, please) and feed more often since the nutrients are being diluted. I suggest keeping unflavored pedialyte in your Kitten Kit to have on hand.
Also, I do not use baby wipes, unscented or not, to clean their bottoms.On rare occasion the chemicals in the wipes can irritate sensitive genitourinary tissues - we recently had a member whose neonate wasn't able to be stimulated because of swelling caused by unscented baby wipes - a savvy vet quickly figured it out.
I cannot thank you enough for fostering! I love your due diligence - you are an answer to cat rescuers' prayers everywhere! :cheerleader::rock:
If swelling does occur, what can be done to make it go away? Or is that purely in the vet's hands?
And for constipation, what kinda olive oil do I use?
And does any bottled water will do? Or does it have to be the kind meant for human infants?
I know Hartz powdered formula causes constipation, why doesn't that apply to any other brand? :eek:

And don't get too excited...I may be keeping these babes ^_~

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use petroleum jelly on their bottoms for irritation.

Any bottled water will do - spring or distilled.

Use 2-3 drops of extra virgin olive oil for constipation.

Never use Hartz formula. It makes kittens sick.
Do I massage in the Vaseline?

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw, how does pre-mixed formula make kittens sick? I need to know what signs to look for in case I've already screwed up >_<

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll switch it out today :) should I stick with gnc or go with PetAg?
If I were to switch brands, will it upset their tummies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m partial to PetAg. You can put the GNC in the freezer. It should not cause tummy upset.