Fosomax vs. Prolia

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this thread has nothing to do with our furry friends, but I do have a dilemma on my hands and would like some advise from those of you who may have some knowledge, experience with this problem. I am a woman in my mid-upper 60's, who has osteoporosis, and was on fosomax for at least 10 years. When I was on fosomax, I had absolutely no problems what so ever. My doctor took my off the medication a year and a half ago. I had a bone dexa scan done recently to see if I can continue my drug holiday from fosomax. As it turns out, my T-scores have worsened somewhat and my doctor wants to put me now on Prolia. I would much rather go back on fosomax since I had no problems with that drug, have given my body 1.5 year holiday from the drug, so why is he so anxious to put me on an entirely new medication? I have done all the reading, the SLIM possibility for a femur fracture or osteocrenosis of the jaw is equally a possible problem for Prolia as Fosomax. I asked my doctor how long he wanted me on Prolia, he said 2 years, I asked after the 2 years can I go back on Fosomax, he would not commit. Please, is anyone else on our site going through anything similar to this problem, I would love to hear from you. I thank you.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biphosphonates are an older class of medication. Less effective more side effects. Fosamax specifically only helps in specific type of bone loss. Forteo and Prolia are now the 1st line of defense against osteoperosis. Prolia has been around long enough that there is plenty of data on its efficacy and with the patent expiration, generics are making this a cost effective option too.
Yeah its a new drug with any new drug the horror stories of the nastier sideffects are going to show up more in Google searches. Realistically, the chance of these side effects are extremely rare, all injectable forms of osteoperosis medication are more powerful and much much safer than oral medications like fosamax, Boniva, actonel. The change of gastroesphogeal tumors are much higher in the oral medication than the risk of osteocarcinomas in the injectable.
The whole "take the tablets with 2 glasses of water, on an empty stomach, don't sit or lie down for 30-60min, is all to get those tablets out of your G. I. tract as soon as possible. People who don't comply with those instruction are somewhere around 10-20x more likley to get GI tumors.

Generally speaking prolia is also tolerated more in people. For me, Boniva didn't seem to slow bone loss at all, I couldnt tolerate actonel (ribs and back hurt too much to lift my arms), 18 months of forteo raised my bone density by 15%, it's going down very very slowly now on fosamax. I'm personally looking forward to Prolia getting approval in men so I can make the switch.
If it helps a lot... great, if not, 1 year on prolia / off bisphophonates shouldn't have a huge impact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, and yes, your message did help.:) I am guessing, what you just said is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for responding.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went off Fosamax a long time ago because it wasn't helping. I've been on Prolia ever since, and the last time they ran a Dexa Scan, there was some improvement. It also became apparent that I have a vitamin D deficiency, which doesn't let the body utilize the calcium in the blood, so I've been taking 3,000 units per day of vitamin D. This helped stopped the bone loss a lot. You might also check into whether your blood is low in vitamin D too - they can tell from a blood test. I've had no ill effects from the Prolia at all.

I just had blood tests done, and everything was normal. That means I now have a sufficient amount of vitamin D and the right amount of calcium in my blood.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went off Fosamax a long time ago because it wasn't helping. I've been on Prolia ever since, and the last time they ran a Dexa Scan, there was some improvement. It also became apparent that I have a vitamin D deficiency, which doesn't let the body utilize the calcium in the blood, so I've been taking 3,000 units per day of vitamin D. This helped stopped the bone loss a lot. You might also check into whether your blood is low in vitamin D too - they can tell from a blood test. I've had no ill effects from the Prolia at all.

I just had blood tests done, and everything was normal. That means I now have a sufficient amount of vitamin D and the right amount of calcium in my blood.
Thank you, I will have them test my vitamin D level when I go back later this week. I thank you too for your kind and helpful response. This stuff is scary and quite honestly, still up in the air as far as the facts. I do now feel more confident and am starting to see it as it is, no big deal, I know I will do fine. I am a very healthy woman so you two are right in that this is really no big deal, I can do this. I thank you as well. :)

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
.... You might also check into whether your blood is low in vitamin D too - they can tell from a blood test.
No Doctor should be prescribing osteoporosis medication without doing a checking the medications you take, full blood panel, including hormone levels thyroid function test.
Thank you, I will have them test my vitamin D level when I go back later this week. I thank you too for your kind and helpful response. This stuff is scary and quite honestly, still up in the air as far as the facts. I do now feel more confident and am starting to see it as it is, no big deal, I know I will do fine. I am a very healthy woman so you two are right in that this is really no big deal, I can do this. I thank you as well. :)
No doctor would have perscribed osteoperosis medication before testing vitamin D, iron, calcium, and thyroid function levels.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he didn't. He does know that I have been taking for years as supplements, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Calcium Citrate (which I just recently heard that they now believe calcium citrate contributes to potential heart problems.( do not remember the excact terminology used, but the doctor I went to for a second opinion told me to go off the calcium citrate). I do go back to my doctor in the spring for my twice yearly blood tests to have my zocor and lisinipril renewed. I guess I will now have to have him add a couple of other blood tests along with the usual I get twice a year. I tell you, this condition is a living hell! For someone who is healthy, why do I need to be so stressed out for something that should be simple in this modern day and age. Old age stinks! Again though, I do thank you for educating me on these particulars. At this point, I need to just bite the bullet and get that shot and get those additional bloods tests in a few months.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A basic blood screening does check vitamin D, Calcium levels, etc. If you had blood work done in the past year, those have been checked. ;)

But I take back my "no doctor would prescribe osteoporosis medication without checking...."
I'm male and in my 30's, my endocrinologist was probably much more thorough trying to find a cause. 20% of women above 50y/o get this.
But under 0.01% of men bellow 35 get it and most of those are from some sort of deficiency, not cells just slowing down because of age.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, yes I have, I will look into it. Again, you have been a wonderful resource person, thanks so much!!