Fortiflora? Dry food? Poo?

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! I have multiple questions and didn't know where to put my question. My kitty is 8 months old. I have had her since she was about 2 months? So she has had several issues (not related to food) and had to be on antibiotics off and on for a long time. So it affected her bowels. I was giving her forti flora and she LOVED IT. Now that she is off of the antibiotics, I stopped the forti flora. I don't even know what a normal poo looks like. Sometimes she has logs. A lot of times she has single balls of poo. I do not know if this is normal??

Should I continue the forti flora?
Should I try and give her a different food now? I give her pea and duck Natural Balance dry food, and snacks..temptations is what my husband bought.
Also what snacks do you give your kitty?
I feel so lost right now and need insight. It doesn't seem like the vet are very knowledgeable with foods. My cat otherwise is healthy and happy. She drinks normally and eats normally, and her issues are all taken care of so no more antibiotics. (She had an allergic reaction first to silvervine, then superglue)

Oh and I just started growing her wheat grass so she'll be having that too. She absolutely loves grass and lettuce.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'f stop the FortiFlora just to avoid any addiction. Some cats will start to refuse to eat unless FortiFlora is sprinkled on the food.

Normal poop will look sort of like Tootsie Rolls, brown little logs. Sometimes the poop is more like marbles. Here's a picture that shows healthy looking poop: Healthy stool on high protein wet/raw diet? Every cat is different so normal poop for them may vary from an online picture. Color may vary, amount of poop pieces, length and shape of the poop pieces, etc.

I'd ditch the Tempations. They're way too addicting to some cats. There's a thread on those treats that claims the treats are even harmful to cats: Do not buy Temptations Cat Treats, They are slowly killing your cats & Whiskas is not doing anything

Freeze dried meat or fish treats are healthier treats to give on occasional. They can even be crushed up and used as toppers on food if needed. There are many brands: PureBites, Northwest Naturals. Vital Essentials, Halo Liv A Littles, etc. I think even Fancy Feast sells teeny bags of freeze dried treats now too. Many of these brands have the same treats available for dogs so what most people do is buy the large dog sized bag instead of the teeny cat sized bag and just break the treats up into smaller pieces.

Plain cooked pieces of meat is ok to give, too. Chicken poached in plain water is great. The cooked meat can be cut up and frozen to use as future treats. Some cats enjoy raw meat and bones and gizzards and the like but most cats won't touch anything raw.

Cat grass is fine to give. It's easy to grow it yourself :) Wheat grass, barely, oat, and rye are safe to grow. I actually bought a clamshell package of snipped wheat grass from the supermarket for one of my cats. Wheat grass is popular for making juices / smoothies. Catnip is also easy to grow and the leaves later dried to use for toys.

Do you feed any canned food? Canned food is so much healthier than dry food. Even some canned food in the diet is better than nothing. Many vets have no clue about diet other than to push prescription foods are a "cure all" for every health issue under the sun. Some food for thought:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'f stop the FortiFlora just to avoid any addiction. Some cats will start to refuse to eat unless FortiFlora is sprinkled on the food.

Normal poop will look sort of like Tootsie Rolls, brown little logs. Sometimes the poop is more like marbles. Here's a picture that shows healthy looking poop: Healthy stool on high protein wet/raw diet? Every cat is different so normal poop for them may vary from an online picture. Color may vary, amount of poop pieces, length and shape of the poop pieces, etc.

I'd ditch the Tempations. They're way too addicting to some cats. There's a thread on those treats that claims the treats are even harmful to cats: Do not buy Temptations Cat Treats, They are slowly killing your cats & Whiskas is not doing anything

Freeze dried meat or fish treats are healthier treats to give on occasional. They can even be crushed up and used as toppers on food if needed. There are many brands: PureBites, Northwest Naturals. Vital Essentials, Halo Liv A Littles, etc. I think even Fancy Feast sells teeny bags of freeze dried treats now too. Many of these brands have the same treats available for dogs so what most people do is buy the large dog sized bag instead of the teeny cat sized bag and just break the treats up into smaller pieces.

Plain cooked pieces of meat is ok to give, too. Chicken poached in plain water is great. The cooked meat can be cut up and frozen to use as future treats. Some cats enjoy raw meat and bones and gizzards and the like but most cats won't touch anything raw.

Cat grass is fine to give. It's easy to grow it yourself :) Wheat grass, barely, oat, and rye are safe to grow. I actually bought a clamshell package of snipped wheat grass from the supermarket for one of my cats. Wheat grass is popular for making juices / smoothies. Catnip is also easy to grow and the leaves later dried to use for toys.

Do you feed any canned food? Canned food is so much healthier than dry food. Even some canned food in the diet is better than nothing. Many vets have no clue about diet other than to push prescription foods are a "cure all" for every health issue under the sun. Some food for thought:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
Thank you so much for this very helpful information!! Exactly what I was looking for.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the poop looks like round marbles, they are somewhat constipated and need more water. Entice them with several bowls set around, or get a fountain. Or add a little pure pureed pumpkin to the wet food. I give my cats about a teaspoon of butter a couple of times a week to help with hairballs and constipation.