Fortekor Prescription for CKD was Delayed

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's prescription got messed up, I am in the UK and the system here is we can request a prescription and pay for that and buy the meds somewhere cheaper than from our vet (which is often at a 3x markup).

Anyway without going into too much detail, everything with getting my cat's prescription for Fortekor was messed up (delay sending it to me electronically after I'd paid for it, dated incorrectly - dated Feb 2025, seriously) so it's been delayed and I have 4 pills left, the earliest hope I have of getting pills for him is middle of next week.

Does anyone know whether it would be better to halve his remaining pills so he gets half a dose daily, or do alternate days with them?

Yes I am fuming at this, I am also waiting for the vet to call me back (in which case I will ask them), this is their mess up not mine :(

Silver K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had an issue with a delay in getting my cat's potassium supplement, and I ended up giving him half a dose for a few days to avoid cutting him off completely. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but it made sense to me.
Definitely ask your vet when they call back tho. It's so frustrating when this stuff happens. I'm just lucky with my cat that it wasn't his blood pressure meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an issue with a delay in getting my cat's potassium supplement, and I ended up giving him half a dose for a few days to avoid cutting him off completely. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but it made sense to me.
Definitely ask your vet when they call back tho. It's so frustrating when this stuff happens. I'm just lucky with my cat that it wasn't his blood pressure meds.
Thanks - the vet gave me 7 pills free of charge to tide me over while waiting for delivery - the supplier was also really helpful and processed the order right away as soon as they received a valid prescription so those are on their way too - phew!

One of those things that was really stressful and could have been a disaster, but managed to get it sorted OK.

Thanks for your help!