Former foster is peeing on furniture in new home

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got an email from an adopter that adopted a cat from me about a year ago about problems they’re having with the cat peeing on things. They want to return him if it can’t be fixed. I have a few ideas about how to fix the problem but I’d like to get some input from others here. I don’t know how far they are willing to go to stop the peeing problem but I want to give them all the tips I can.

One thing I think is important when it comes to behavioral problems is figuring out what is causing it so please tell me what you think the cause may be.

The problem started eight months ago when the owners were out of town for four days and had a sitter come by. During those days the cats (he was adopted with his brother) had peed and popped on a recliner. After that the cat started to pee on rugs and stuff like that but it was improved by adding another litter box . But after a few months it started again and the cat have since peed on the couch and bed as well as on a sweater on the couch. It’s been happening every couple of weeks and the rest of the time he uses the litter box. The cats have two liter boxes that are scooped daily and the owners have tried different litters and are cleaning the spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what they can do so that hopefully this kitty won’t have to leave his home and beloved brother? Thanks

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I got an email from an adopter that adopted a cat from me about a year ago about problems they’re having with the cat peeing on things. They want to return him if it can’t be fixed. I have a few ideas about how to fix the problem but I’d like to get some input from others here. I don’t know how far they are willing to go to stop the peeing problem but I want to give them all the tips I can.

One thing I think is important when it comes to behavioral problems is figuring out what is causing it so please tell me what you think the cause may be.

The problem started eight months ago when the owners were out of town for four days and had a sitter come by. During those days the cats (he was adopted with his brother) had peed and popped on a recliner. After that the cat started to pee on rugs and stuff like that but it was improved by adding another litter box . But after a few months it started again and the cat have since peed on the couch and bed as well as on a sweater on the couch. It’s been happening every couple of weeks and the rest of the time he uses the litter box. The cats have two liter boxes that are scooped daily and the owners have tried different litters and are cleaning the spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what they can do so that hopefully this kitty won’t have to leave his home and beloved brother? Thanks
Hello Ziggy'smom

Is the cat peeing on things or spraying over them which is quite different.  I am wondering if puss is in any pain, have you taken him to see vet?  I used to have a male cat that sprayed over things, he was very nervous and I was told "he is marking his territory".

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's spraying or peeing but it sounds like peeing. He's apparently peeing on the couch and bed, not on the wall and stuff like that like spraying cats do. This cat was fixed at 3 months so I don't think he would be spraying.

The adopters have taken him to the vet and the vet said he thought it was behavioral because it's only happening once in a while. Oddly enough they weren't able to get a urine sample, though. I would think if he had a UTI he would be peeing all over all the time.

I suspect that it's anxiety related. But how would you fix that?

Just FYI, this cat isn't with me. He's a former foster of mine that was adopted a year ago.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Since you said that the cat was medically checked by a vet, and no health issues concerning the bladder or urinary tract were found, I would think that it may be behavioral.

It sounds like the one brother cat is retaliating for the owners leaving him behind.  I know this may sound far fetched, but I had a friend who moved out west to a ranch house.  She lived there with other people, and her cat got along with all house people and other cats.  Yet when she left for the weekend, her cat was looked after by the others, but 2 out 3 times actually pooped on only her bed.  

She ended up using a plastic mattress cover under the sheets to protect the mattress, but also one on top under the blanket...so if it happened again, she could just wash the blanket.

Perhaps putting plastic couch protectors, just for now, until the issue is sorted would work.

Enzymatic cleaners have to be used on the carpets and furniture, but since he chooses the sweater, it seems like he is marking it.

Hopefully, others will offer more ideas.

Do they know if the one brother is an alpha? and the other is a beta?  One may bully the other during litter box time? 

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I don't know if it's spraying or peeing but it sounds like peeing. He's apparently peeing on the couch and bed, not on the wall and stuff like that like spraying cats do. This cat was fixed at 3 months so I don't think he would be spraying.

The adopters have taken him to the vet and the vet said he thought it was behavioral because it's only happening once in a while. Oddly enough they weren't able to get a urine sample, though. I would think if he had a UTI he would be peeing all over all the time.

I suspect that it's anxiety related. But how would you fix that?

Just FYI, this cat isn't with me. He's a former foster of mine that was adopted a year ago.
Hello Ziggy'smom

The little cat I had that sprayed is no longer with me, but he sprayed most of his life, he was neutered when he was about 8 months old, he was a nervous cat and in his case it was a behaviour problem I think.  I do not know how to stop it but I was told not to clean the area with what we call Dettol or disinfectant in UK because it contains something that attracts the cats back to the same place but to use biological washing powder and then I steam cleaned it.  You have to try and make out what is making him anxious and that is easier said than done!  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Sorry, just realised he used to be a foster cat of yours,there is something going on in his new home he does not like, not knowing much about his new home it is difficult to say why he is doing this.

Last edited: