Former Feral Kittens Still Scared

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and am hoping people with more experience than I have can weigh in on this situation.
This past summer I rescued four 12 week old feral kittens.
Two of them have been adopted and are doing very well.
I am fostering the other two, who are now just over 5 months old.
The problem is these two kitties are still very scared of new things, especially new people.
They are still skittish and appear to be quite anxious.
I thought I had done everything right to socialize these little girls, but for some reason, they haven't done well.
I have a two-part question:
1) Will these kittens ever be adoptable?
2) What more can I do to help these kittens? Are they too old now for futher socialization?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take more than two months to socialize feral kittens. Can you pet and handle the kittens at all? If you're able to handle them, play with them, and they are affectionate with you but they are just skittish around unfamiliar people, then they should be adoptable. Many cats, even domesticated ones, are shy and hide from unfamiliar people. Just explain to any potential adopter that the kittens are skittish around unfamiliar people and may take a while to adjust to a new home and owner. If you can't find someone to adopt them, is keeping them an option for you? And no, 5 months is not too old for socialization, and you've already been working on them for two months, which is great . From my experience, feral cats up to a year old can be socialized and content to live indoors (older feral may also be socialized but it's much harder). Not all of them will be cuddly lap cats, though, and any potential adopter needs to accept this.

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can take more than two months to socialize feral kittens. Can you pet and handle the kittens at all? If you're able to handle them, play with them, and they are affectionate with you but they are just skittish around unfamiliar people, then they should be adoptable. Many cats, even domesticated ones, are shy and hide from unfamiliar people. Just explain to any potential adopter that the kittens are skittish around unfamiliar people and may take a while to adjust to a new home and owner. If you can't find someone to adopt them, is keeping them an option for you? And no, 5 months is not too old for socialization, and you've already been working on them for two months, which is great . From my experience, feral cats up to a year old can be socialized and content to live indoors (older feral may also be socialized but it's much harder). Not all of them will be cuddly lap cats, though, and any potential adopter needs to accept this.
Thank you for all of your information and your help.
The kittens love to be petted and brushed, one of them likes to be held, the other hates it. But they love to play, love to eat, and are really nice little girls.
I had planned to adopt them, but unfortunately after trying for several months, my two senior resident cats will not accept them. It caused one of my cats to attack the other, many, many times. The situation was not good, otherwise I would have kept them as I am very attached to them.
I am glad to hear you think they are adoptable, and that they will continue to socialize.
Again, many thanks

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might still be able to keep them. There are lots of links to helpful articles about integrating new cats into the household with resident cats, as well as helpful advice on old threads. They may never become buddies, but they can learn to co-exist mostly peacefully. As long as they aren't having territory battles that involve urine marking and having fights that causes injury, it's workable.

The more exposure you give the kittens to different people, the better they will handle strangers in the future. Whoever takes them will realistically need to accept that there will be an adjustment period where they'll be scared and timid and hide in their new home and be shy of their new owner, and a re-socialization process will need to take place again. BUT it will be much easier and quicker than the first time around was with you. Socialized feral cats will bond deeply with their caregiver, but most remain skittish around unfamiliar people, and that's just the reality of the situation. Hopefully that's not such a big issue that it will discourage someone from adopting them.

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might still be able to keep them. There are lots of links to helpful articles about integrating new cats into the household with resident cats, as well as helpful advice on old threads. They may never become buddies, but they can learn to co-exist mostly peacefully. As long as they aren't having territory battles that involve urine marking and having fights that causes injury, it's workable.

The more exposure you give the kittens to different people, the better they will handle strangers in the future. Whoever takes them will realistically need to accept that there will be an adjustment period where they'll be scared and timid and hide in their new home and be shy of their new owner, and a re-socialization process will need to take place again. BUT it will be much easier and quicker than the first time around was with you. Socialized feral cats will bond deeply with their caregiver, but most remain skittish around unfamiliar people, and that's just the reality of the situation. Hopefully that's not such a big issue that it will discourage someone from adopting them.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply, and your insights. I really appreciate it.
I just have one other question:
When you say "a re-socialization proess will need to take place again" do you mean the kittens would have to adjust to a new environment? Or, is there more entailed?

I will certainly read all the information on integrating new cats. I thought I had done it "by the book" but maybe I have more to learn. The best thing for these kittens would be to remain with me, and co-exist with my two cats. I also want to get my cats home, because they have been living with my parents - and they are not young anymore.

Thank you again. I finally feel hopeful about this situation.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently socialized feral kittens tend to not be as easily accepting of new humans as kittens who have never been feral and have been around humans all their lives. If your two are moved to a new home with new people, they may adjust very quickly, or it may take some time for them to feel comfortable around new people and a new environment. Also, if they are separated, that will be an adjustment as well. Cats can grieve the loss of their feline buddies. The new owners would need to be patient and not get frustrated if these kitties aren't immediately affectionate, but are skittish and hide for a few days or weeks. I hope it works out for you to keep them. I have had male cats in my home who initially fought because they both wanted to be "in charge" in the household. But in both cases that this has occurred for me, they learned to coexist fairly peacefully. They sleep on the same bed near each other and they share the same food bowls and they share me. From my experience, over time, cats learn to coexist with each other inside of a house because they realize they have to share the territory. The only time I think this becomes a real issue is if they start urine marking. Luckily, that has never occurred with any of my cats. Are your two resident cats in your home or with the kittens at your mother's house? Perhaps when you move them all into your home, you can reintegrate them together because they will be in a new environment. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently socialized feral kittens tend to not be as easily accepting of new humans as kittens who have never been feral and have been around humans all their lives. If your two are moved to a new home with new people, they may adjust very quickly, or it may take some time for them to feel comfortable around new people and a new environment. Also, if they are separated, that will be an adjustment as well. Cats can grieve the loss of their feline buddies. The new owners would need to be patient and not get frustrated if these kitties aren't immediately affectionate, but are skittish and hide for a few days or weeks. I hope it works out for you to keep them. I have had male cats in my home who initially fought because they both wanted to be "in charge" in the household. But in both cases that this has occurred for me, they learned to coexist fairly peacefully. They sleep on the same bed near each other and they share the same food bowls and they share me. From my experience, over time, cats learn to coexist with each other inside of a house because they realize they have to share the territory. The only time I think this becomes a real issue is if they start urine marking. Luckily, that has never occurred with any of my cats. Are your two resident cats in your home or with the kittens at your mother's house? Perhaps when you move them all into your home, you can reintegrate them together because they will be in a new environment. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Thanks again, you have been very helpful.
My two cats are with my Mom at her house, the kittens are with me at my home. My cats have not been with me for the past two weeks, because the situation with all 4 cats had gotten so bad, especially the fact that one of my cats was attacking my other cat - no fur flying at least.
It breaks my heart to think these two kittens may be seperated as they are highly bonded.

To make the situation even more complex, I have been working with a local resuce group to find the kittens a new foster home. In fact it was the resuce group who trapped the kittens, and now, Unfortunately, all the foster homes are full. So the cat rescue strongly suggested the kittens go into a boarding facility, until a new foster home can be found - which could take months. But the group insists the only way the kittens will be placed in a foster home is if they board first.

My heart breaks when I think of these two little girls living in cages. I believe they will regress. Do you agree?

I find myself in a quandry - do I take the kittens to the boarding facility in the hopes that they will find a new foster home, and eventually be adopted, or do I try once again to integrate the 4 cats?
I simply do not know what to do. All I know at this point is that I want to do what is best for all of the cats.

You have been so very helpful, and I trust your opinion. I am really feeling lost right now.
If you have any recommendations, I would be very grateful.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should try to integrate the cats into your home. Introductions may need to be gradual and you need to be realistic about the amount of time it could take-- it could take several months or longer. You'll need to give the kittens a room of their own, and do slow introductions--there are lots of links and articles on this site on new cat introductions. I hope someone else will come along and post some links to the articles and discussions about this subject, I can't do it today but will check back tomorrow. There are Feliway products that can calm the cats during the integration process, scent swapping, using treats as rewards, etc. It can be done, I've integrated new cats many times and so have many others. I think that for your peace of mind and for the kitties you should give it another try.

Last edited:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and am hoping people with more experience than I have can weigh in on this situation.
This past summer I rescued four 12 week old feral kittens.
Two of them have been adopted and are doing very well.
I am fostering the other two, who are now just over 5 months old.
The problem is these two kitties are still very scared of new things, especially new people.
They are still skittish and appear to be quite anxious.
I thought I had done everything right to socialize these little girls, but for some reason, they haven't done well.
I have a two-part question:
1) Will these kittens ever be adoptable?
2) What more can I do to help these kittens? Are they too old now for futher socialization?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had 4 ferals that became housecats and for the most part 2 of them hid when they heard a strange voice and the other 2 would sneak into the room and investigate. Just like us, they are all different and it takes time and patience, but do not give up!

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I have no experience with feral cats, other than with these two kittens, so I really appreciate your comments. I think I have to accept that they will always hide when other people come to the house.
Right now, I'm considering if I can keep them, and integrate them with my resident cats.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet was amazed that the 24 ferals were so tame and asked what I did to make them that way. I always calmly spoke to them, kept the dogs away from them and handled them AT THEIR OWN PACE. No one wanted to be left out so they would litterally climb up me to be loved. And forget sitting outside in the sun, I was covered by little fury kittys! My intent was to fix and release them but thanks to my handling them they were lucky enough to find forever homes, including the 4 I kept. Things happen for a reason and the outcome was amazing!

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do the two feral kittens scratch you at all?
No, they don't scratch me. The only time I was scratched is when I was taking them to be spayed, and one of them did not want to go into her carrier - she was so scared.
But, they are really sweet kittens.

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet was amazed that the 24 ferals were so tame and asked what I did to make them that way. I always calmly spoke to them, kept the dogs away from them and handled them AT THEIR OWN PACE. No one wanted to be left out so they would litterally climb up me to be loved. And forget sitting outside in the sun, I was covered by little fury kittys! My intent was to fix and release them but thanks to my handling them they were lucky enough to find forever homes, including the 4 I kept. Things happen for a reason and the outcome was amazing!
Wow, that is amazing. But you worked so hard with them, no wonder they turned out so well and were adopted. I totally understand the patience required for feral cats. With mine, many days it was one step forward, three steps back, but with a lot of love and perseverence, they become loving members of the family.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I consider success with ferals differently from domestic cats. You've said they like to be brushed and petted, and that they love to play. I'd consider that a tremendous success! You've done well with them, so pat yourself on the back. :clap2:

If you decide not to keep them because of your other two cats, there are people who don't mind having a shy cat around. It would be nice if they could be adopted as a bonded pair. If they can be petted and brushed and play, people who don't have a lot of company anyway won't particularly care if they aren't friendly with everyone.

If you've bonded with them and decide to keep them, I'm sure that you can find a way for the four kitties to live peaceably together.

Bless you for doing what you've done so far. :catlove:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing, you've done an amazing job if they don't scratch anyone. That's half the battle with ferals, teaching them not to scratch.

hosta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I consider success with ferals differently from domestic cats. You've said they like to be brushed and petted, and that they love to play. I'd consider that a tremendous success! You've done well with them, so pat yourself on the back. :clap2:

If you decide not to keep them because of your other two cats, there are people who don't mind having a shy cat around. It would be nice if they could be adopted as a bonded pair. If they can be petted and brushed and play, people who don't have a lot of company anyway won't particularly care if they aren't friendly with everyone.

If you've bonded with them and decide to keep them, I'm sure that you can find a way for the four kitties to live peaceably together.

Bless you for doing what you've done so far. :catlove:
Thank you orange&white, I really needed to hear that. Thank you so much again.