Food with chunks (not shreds) in gravy/stew recommendations

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all and thanks in advance for any advice!

My male cat, XiaoXiao, is a picky little fluff ball. He is one year old and has decided that he hates any wet cat food that is "healthy". We had him eating Weruva for awhile, but some types upset his stomach which concerned me (and he was still picky about it). I've tried Nulo, Tiki Cat, Stella and Chewy's, and a lot more. He hates any food that is "difficult" to eat. Shreds are a definite no, licking them off the plate is too much trouble :rolleyes3: Pate is hit or miss, depending on the texture. Wetting it down will sometimes help, also mixing it with his favorite crunchies will sometimes do it (and makes the pate easier to eat).

Recently I ordered the variety pack of every KOHA canned food. He hated the pate (texture), not surprising since it was very thick and seemed like it would be weird to chew. But the stew was an absolute hit. Both him and our older cat, YanYan, devoured it. The new kitten, LiLi, was in her cage with her Stella and Chewy's kitten food but smelled the KOHA food and started screaming for it :lol: I told her if she managed to not throw up for 24 hours she could try a little.

Any recommendations for healthy wet food that has chunks of meat in gravy or stew?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretty sure there's a few brands you listed that make gravy packs or toppers you could try but your boy might just do like graycie did and just clean off the gravy and leave the food :lol:aside from that only suggestion i can offer will waste/cost you money and feed your garbage disposal i just buy a few random cans of whatever brands to try out so far nulo(shredded) wellnes(morsels only)s and weruva(pate) are ok depending on the flavor. good luck

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thst every one of my 5cats turn their noses up at any pate- I've settled on Fancy Feast petites variety cases (;gravy) which includes salmon,chicken and whitefish- I also by the roast turke & beef gravy petites as well so there are 5 different varieties- I like the petites especially because they are in single portion tubs- my kitties just don't like ' leftovers" lol.....

Alot of people don't seem to like FF foods and it is pretty pricey but mine all do very well on it and they really enjoy it-they also free feed dry

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat loves Lotus Just Juicy Stews. He has food allergies, so he gets the venison and the pork. I have to mail order it - Chewy and Amazon carry it. I have had issues with damaged cans from Amazon (they do refund with no issue, but it's a hassle). So far no problems with Chewy. Chunks of meat and a little bit of carrot. I add a little bit of water so it juices it up even more. Its his favorite food (and of course the most expensive of what I feed him).

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which Stella and chewy did you try? My boys like the savory shreds but to me they look more like morsels, not long shreds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
pretty sure there's a few brands you listed that make gravy packs or toppers you could try but your boy might just do like graycie did and just clean off the gravy and leave the food :lol: aside from that only suggestion i can offer will waste/cost you money and feed your garbage disposal i just buy a few random cans of whatever brands to try out so far nulo(shredded) wellnes(morsels only)s and weruva(pate) are ok depending on the flavor. good luck
He would definitely do this if the gravy was really to his liking, but at least it's something :lol: I have a garbage disposal cat as well so I usually can trick her into eating anything he won't by mixing it in :insertevillaugh: He is like a kid that can taste carrots no matter how well you hide them in a dish LOL

Glad you mentioned that wellness has morsels as well, will give that a try since the photos look a lot like their preferred texture.

Funny thst every one of my 5cats turn their noses up at any pate- I've settled on Fancy Feast petites variety cases (;gravy) which includes salmon,chicken and whitefish- I also by the roast turke & beef gravy petites as well so there are 5 different varieties- I like the petites especially because they are in single portion tubs- my kitties just don't like ' leftovers" lol.....

Alot of people don't seem to like FF foods and it is pretty pricey but mine all do very well on it and they really enjoy it-they also free feed dry
I used to feed mine FF and he did like their gravy based ones a lot! I moved away from them due to his sensitive stomach and concerns about some of the ingredients. Will definitely consider seeing if using it as a topper may bridge them over to the new food though. Mine don't like leftovers either but we reached cat capacity of 3 so between them I doubt I'll have any leftovers :updown:

Our cat loves Lotus Just Juicy Stews. He has food allergies, so he gets the venison and the pork. I have to mail order it - Chewy and Amazon carry it. I have had issues with damaged cans from Amazon (they do refund with no issue, but it's a hassle). So far no problems with Chewy. Chunks of meat and a little bit of carrot. I add a little bit of water so it juices it up even more. Its his favorite food (and of course the most expensive of what I feed him).
Will make a note to look into this one as well. It sounds a lot like the KOHA food he liked. Thanks so much!!

Which Stella and chewy did you try? My boys like the savory shreds but to me they look more like morsels, not long shreds.
I think it was a pate, because they'll at least attempt to eat it where as if it's shreds they barely even try lol Will definitely give this a shot though since they seem to like the taste of S&C just not the texture. I also gave them S&C morsels (in the box, not can) and they like it but it is a lot more liquid than munchies so they're like "well soup is done, what's for dinner?"

I may make a list of cat foods that's just photos of the texture for reference lol.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you mentioned that wellness has morsels as well, will give that a try since the photos look a lot like their preferred texture.
graycie wont touch the minced chicken they make turkey or chicken morsels she will eat ii up but i do notice more gravy in the morsels versus the miced the tuna morsels she eats to.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to add my own discoveries! Picky baby has found some things that are so tasty he will lick the plate clean then beg for more. Even after multiple meals they all scream for KOHA when I open a can lol.

• The Honest Kitchen Minced, love this company now and it's perfect to sneak in some RAWZ pate
  • Same with the Stella & Chewy's morsels "soup", made it less soup like with a bit of mashed up RAWZ pate
  • RAWZ has a new gravy line that I'll be trying once stores get it in

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Nola shredded turkey and rainbow trout is shredded but not like weruva. More like bits of sliced meat . My cat Maggie likes pate from the refrigerator! So it's not as soft

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
used to feed mine FF and he did like their gravy based ones a lot! I moved away from them due to his sensitive stomach and concerns about some of the ingredients. Will definitely consider seeing if using it as a topper may bridge them over to the new food though. Mine don't like leftovers either but we reached cat capacity of 3 so between them I doubt I'll have any leftovers :updown:

Good idea- also,Delectables came out with a new " Gravy" TOPPER-

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nola shredded turkey and rainbow trout is shredded but not like weruva. More like bits of sliced meat . My cat Maggie likes pate from the refrigerator! So it's not as soft
XiaoXiao acts like he's chewing gum if it's pate from the fridge 🤣 he looks at me like "mom the struggle is real" while eating.