Food Easy On Recovering Kitty Stomach?

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is about food, not health, so just hear me out:

My Spock has been sick for over a week now, he's recovering nicely, but still throwing up daily (the vet told us not to worry, so we're not worrying) and I'm wondering if there's anything I can give him that'll go easy on his stomach? Currently we switched his wet food to Fromm (he got sick from Instinct, really bad food poisoning case and the reason he got sick and is still throwing up) and he eats Blue Buffalo dry cat food as well, so the question now is what can I give him that goes easy on recovering kitty stomachs? I'll be giving him pumpkin, see if it helps, but I'm wondering if KMR (I have some left from like 4 months ago) or chicken and rice could help him, and maybe decrease the vomiting.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my Jasmine was throwing up near daily (to what we learned later was cancer) she did really well on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach as well as Friskies of all things. They sound like crap foods but they do have rice so I am guessing that was the main thing.

We gave her KMR and it gave her bad gas but she was always bad with milk of any kind. My other kitty Lydia doesn't have any stomach issues but gets KMR almost daily without any issues.

Did the vet have any dietary suggestions?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo has a very sensitive stomach, and I've found that Sheba pates settle him down right away. You might try it. They are smooth and seem to soothe his stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my Jasmine was throwing up near daily (to what we learned later was cancer) she did really well on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach as well as Friskies of all things. They sound like crap foods but they do have rice so I am guessing that was the main thing.

We gave her KMR and it gave her bad gas but she was always bad with milk of any kind. My other kitty Lydia doesn't have any stomach issues but gets KMR almost daily without any issues.

Did the vet have any dietary suggestions?
The vet mainly told us to be careful with his stomach as it is still inflamed from the food poisoning. She told us that he could eat normally (and recommended Fromm as a brand for everyday feeedings) and then mentioned baby food, pumpkin, and making food for him ourselves with chicken, and that was it. I'm thinking of calling the office and asking if they know what I can give him because he's still throwing up on the daily, more than once a day, and I want to see if changing his food will help him

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet if an anti-nausea / anti-vomiting medicine would be helpful while your cat recovers. Cerenia is typically prescribed.

Meat baby food, KMR, goat milk, maybe plain chicken could be helpful in addition to the regular cat food.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet if an anti-nausea / anti-vomiting medicine would be helpful while your cat recovers. Cerenia is typically prescribed.

Meat baby food, KMR, goat milk, maybe plain chicken could be helpful in addition to the regular cat food.
Yes to all this! When one of our cats got very sick from eating a plant, the vet gave her a shot of Cerenia. The first thing we fed to her was baby food, Beechnut (basics, I think? just chicken and broth, you don't want added salt or veg), with a few Pure Bites chicken treat shreds on top. That got her going again and both our cats rather enjoyed the baby food, which I got in chicken and turkey, if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When one of my cats got really sick (the vet thought the diarrhea might be worms and did the application on the neck of medication and forgot to tell me to watch him afterwards, so (since he is a contortionist) he was able to lick it off the back of his neck (it was too low) and did so for an hour without me noticing because he was sleeping in my daughter's room due to not feeling well (hiding from the dogs), I fed baby food chicken off a spoon first. I did that for days, but his appetite was not good, so I think he was afraid to eat for fear he would throw up. I ended up actually offering him fish flavors of Fancy Feast to get him to start eating. However, if you are just trying to give him bland stuff at first, I would try boiled chicken and baby food, as many here have suggested. Thanks for mentioning the issue with Instinct. My cats were on that line for over a year, and off and on and bouts of throwing up hours after they ate. I do think something has changed since they reformulated a year or so ago. I hope your kitty feels better very soon!