Floor protection

njtom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're going to be getting another cat this fall, after sadly saying goodbye to our previous cat a few months ago. This question is a practical one. With cat #1, the litter boxes were in a spare room with a carpet. Well, over the years, cat #1 wasn't always very good at using the boxes, and as a result, a lot of cat urine ended up hitting the bottoms of the walls where the boxes were, ruining the baseboard molding, and of course the carpet padding itself. It wasn't a question of using a high-sided box; sometimes the cat wouldn't bother with the box at all, and would just go against the wall or in a corner.

Since then, we've had this room redone with new baseboard and vinyl plank flooring. Looks nice, and more importantly, smells nice. Now I am thinking about what to do for cat #2 when he/she comes along. Vinyl plank should be more resistant, but maybe we should add a washable carpet with some kind of protective layer underneath? And I'm even thinking about getting some plexiglass for the wall bottoms where the litter boxes are.

Any ideas/experiences would be much appreciated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the cats 2 months old try using a storage been. Some have flat bottoms and sides like the one I got at the container store
Mine is 24x13
Also try Lowes, home depo, and target
My mats catch the litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njtom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The litter container isn't really the problem. It's if the cat decides to do its business outside the box -- I don't want the floor/wall to be damaged as it was in the past.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suspect your previous cat probably was older and had health issues, which probably attributed to the litter box problems. So, I would think a younger cat might not have as many issues, but, nonetheless...

Washable rug big enough to cover the area you are concerned about, and a rubber mat (think bathmats) underneath (essentially the same size) to 'collect' any urine that might be enough to leak through the washable rug. As far as the walls, some folks have used puppy pee pads taped to the wall, reaching down to the to the floor to catch any 'sprays' from a cat. If the pee pads meet where the washable rug starts you should be covered. Honestly, plexi-glass seems like 'overkill' but would suffice for what you are worried might happen.

Maybe some of the information in these articles might be beneficial to you? I am sure there is likely some overlapping data from article to article.
What’s The Largest Cat Litter Box (and Why Your Cat Needs It) – TheCatSite Articles
Litter Box Location Secrets – TheCatSite Articles
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box? – TheCatSite Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make – TheCatSite Articles

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask about litter box habits when looking at prospective cats. Most of the time a cat will go outside of the box for behavior or medical reasons or if they simply don't like the litter box and / or location. Senior cats often can't get in and out of a typical litter box easily because of joint problems so they'll just go wherever. Take a read through the links FeebysOwer posted above.

I assume by washable carpet you mean a washable rug. There are good washable rugs available nowadays. Ruggable is currently having a Labor Day sale on their rugs if you're in the US.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of cats don’t just decide to go outside of the litter box. It’s abnormal for a creature who’s instinct is to dig and bury. It is almost always something medical, especially if it happens very near the litter box. So I wouldn’t anticipate problems from your new cat. That being said, one of my cats occasionally has elevator butt, where she somehow ends up standing instead of squatting, and the pee goes over the side. I taped puppy pee pads along the walls and laid them on the floor under the boxes and it has worked out wonderfully. It’s so easy to clean up, just remove soiled pads and replace with fresh ones.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
njtom njtom when your (potential) new cat gets older they may struggle. I've found puppy pee pads work well (you can get reusable for eco friendly and long term savings or disposable).

You can get boxes for litter now and afix plastic to the sides or pee pads. This is a photo from today. Notice my litter is outside the box as Nobel pulled a muscle and he is 16 so it was too much work for him. I always recommend with a health issue to temporarily move to an open box in an open space. I could have moved the pee pad but I didn't find it necessary.

There are many different types of these and DIYs as well. This one has room enough for the scoops and pee pads to be stored inside. IMG_20220907_135328272.jpg IMG_20220907_135341546.jpg