Floey passed over the Rainbow bridge July 29 2016 at noontime. My Flo Monster will be missed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thank you again for your support.

I was reading through a thread about megacolon. And remember my girl had something going on in her intestines? She had suffered from constipation for a long time. Now I wonder if we should have had her scoped before all this started? I just wonder how we could have stopped the bleeding. I know it doesn't matter now. I know there is nothing I can do-but I still have 2 cats alive that I am now petrified that I will miss something like this again.

Luckily Miralax works wonders on the oldest that has always had constipation. I just worry that it wont work after awhile so for now I give her a pinch every day. I found if I gave 1/4 tsp that its too loose so I stick to a tiny bit and it works like a charm. She is still eating ok. Last night she didn't eat as much before but I notice that the hotter it gets during the day the less she eats so I am trying to not freak out.

We have been doing ok. Honeybee sits outside looking sad because she knows Floey is gone. I presented her Floey after she passed away and Honeybee ran away from her. I hope my girl doesn't get depressed. She used to hang out with Floey or at least follow her around pissing her off. Floey was always a hissy cat but purred at the same time. I think that's what I miss the most now. is her purr when I sit down at the toilet.Flo used to come over and lay across my feet and claw them like she was kneading. And she would look at me with those eyes and slow blink at me. I know she loved me. I know she knows I love her. Still.

I just hope this sadness disappears soon because I don't like how it makes me cry and no one wants to hang around with a wet blanket person. I just hope I can save the next sick cat before it gets out of control but that is a hard lesson isn't it? We can't control death no matter how much we do and try to stay on top of it. Its going to happen whether we intervene or not. We can try treatments and see if it makes them comfortable but in the end we have no control of birth or death. Or illness. I hate giving up control. this has to be the hardest thing-feeling so very helpless.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It will get better some day, but please resist the urge to rush it.  There's no way around grief, only through it.  I wonder where I am in this long dark tunnel?  Can't see light yet but I know it will come eventually.  Your grief is a equal to the amount of love you have for Floey.  It takes time and lots of tears and words to express that grief.  Don't worry about those who don't want to hang around a "wet blanket person".  They aren't your real friends.  Only acquaintances.  They'll be back when the sun comes back out, but until then don't count on them.  And please don't let those people dictate the terms and length of your grief.  You have every right to cry and be sad. We are all here for you.  

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ginny. you know I am now 41. I much prefer my own company over anyone else's next to the cats. And of course Jon-he doesn't mind me being sad just its ackward being sad around people. So if I stay hidden away from people then I don't have to pretend everything is hunky-dory. Like tomorrow when I am supposed to go to a family event. I keep hoping I get the courage to say no I don't want to but they will hound me and sometimes its easier to just show up for 2 hours than to not go at all..you know what I mean?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you Ginny. you know I am now 41. I much prefer my own company over anyone else's next to the cats. And of course Jon-he doesn't mind me being sad just its ackward being sad around people. So if I stay hidden away from people then I don't have to pretend everything is hunky-dory. Like tomorrow when I am supposed to go to a family event. I keep hoping I get the courage to say no I don't want to but they will hound me and sometimes its easier to just show up for 2 hours than to not go at all..you know what I mean?
Can Jon go with you for support?  If they're going to make your life heck if you didn't go, I'd go - but personally I wouldn't feel the least bit obligated to entertain them with a smile I didn't feel or laughter that is fake.  I've just never been good at hiding how I feel, ever.  I've been blessed (or cursed) with a face that never lies, lol.  But do be careful who you tell.  If they notice you are sad, and you think that they may say something smart aleck then just say you don't feel well.  That happens to be true.  Emotional wounds are every bit as bad as physical wounds, except they just don't show.  You are doing a good thing for yourself by telling us how you feel.  You know we'll never say something awful like people do who just don't understand.  

Oh, by the way, I wanted to tell you I also let all the other kitties, especially Nat (the one on phenobarb for seizures), see Gracie after she passed so they wouldn't wonder what happened.  He really loved his mommy.  None of them would come near her.  But they saw.  That's the right thing to do too.  Let them see.  I remember showing Sammy his brother Garf when he died.  It upset him.  He went off and vomited spit.  But at least he knew.  Bless them.  I know your other kitties miss Floey too :(

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't show Pumpkin face. I didn't want to disturb her-she was sleeping on the deck and well I guess I was in a hurry to bury her. I should have slowed down but it was a hot muggy day and the sun was coming out and we were already sweating like crazy.

I too was cursed with a face that can't lie. I think it wont be too bad. there will be a ton of kids around so we wont have to deal with serious talk. Sometimes I don't know what to think as certain people play head games and get really nasty if I don't do what they want. This was an insedinet in march-and basicly they ruined my birthday by hounding me to not back my fathers life choices and to cut him out. I really wish I had the guts to tell those two twits to get lost. I did speak up and tell them we don't dictate other people's life choices. I said who cares if he is with someone new? Hes 75 yrs old and if he wants to be with someone new then who are we to interfere?? Some people need to get a life.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright:

It will get better some day, but please resist the urge to rush it.  There's no way around grief, only through it.  I wonder where I am in this long dark tunnel?  Can't see light yet but I know it will come eventually.  Your grief is a equal to the amount of love you have for Floey.  It takes time and lots of tears and words to express that grief.  Don't worry about those who don't want to hang around a "wet blanket person".  They aren't your real friends.  Only acquaintances.  They'll be back when the sun comes back out, but until then don't count on them.  And please don't let those people dictate the terms and length of your grief.  You have every right to cry and be sad. We are all here for you.  
Very well said ginny ginny .
Please be kind to yourself foxxycat foxxycat and honor your feelings. If you are not up to putting on a happy face for others, then don't. If they can't handle it, that is their issue. You owe no explanations to anyone. You are entitled to grieve over the loss of your dear Floey in your own way and on your timeline.

Sending you lots of [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ And Hugs.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I won't say anything about Floey's journey right now but did send you a PM you can look at later.  As for the family visit, see how you feel.  If you don't feel up to it, just say you don't feel well.  That's enough.  On the other hand, if seeing the kids would offer you a couple of hours of distraction, just go and don't talk about Floey; just keep her close in your heart.  You gave her a good long life, and a peaceful passing once it came to that, and no cat could ask for more. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why won't you say anything about her journey? I've already cried my tears. I know that she was in a bad way. Part of me was hoping that she would recover. I honestly thought it was pancreatitis. But next week I'm bringing Pumpkin face to get blood work because she seems out of it lately. So hopefully its nothing but at least I can try to do better. But sometimes illnesses are out of our hands no matter what we do.

She's still eating and drinking water at least I hope so because her dish is empty in the morning and she is going to the bathroom ok with the help of miralax. She's my hard food queen. I've tried to get her on wet and no she only likes fishy foods.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I didn't say on here about her journey I said in the PM -- mostly I was bothered by the fact your vet would not send home decent pain medicine (he might have if he had seen an ultrasound), and that an ultrasound was 10 days out.  That just isn't acceptable in my book, not when an animal is suffering.  I'm glad you packed her up and took her to Massachusetts and got some answers, and that you had some kind of pain med to give her on that last night.  I'm not at all surprised she took off for the bridge as soon as she got the pre-anesthesia shot.  That happens when they are ready to go and it seems pain holds them here.  I've been through that exact experience before too. If they are freed from the pain, they can slip away, just like she did, and like my last FIP cat did.  It all hurts, losing these animals we love, and it doesn't get easier.  We get wiser, perhaps, and handle it better, but it still hurts and aches  You never forget the experiences.  It must be a relief, in a way, to know that she obviously had cancer and it was nothing you would be able to cure, and I'm glad you didn't wait 10 days for the ultrasound.  Sometimes we humans want to get in the way of their dying process when somehow they know, they want to stop eating and fade away and we won't let them.  We have to switch from "hospital" mentality to "hospice" mentality and just keep them comfortable.  Hope did that very well with Simon -- so many of us went on that journey with her - http://www.thecatsite.com/t/316100/...ill-loved-one-i-share-with-you-simons-journey - You are still so young at 41 that you will have many more journeys to go on unless you stop having cats around you. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Red Top Rescue   yes I understand your frustration. I apologize for not getting back sooner- and I agree with all your points. I had someone message me about a vet in Somersworth and another in Goffstown who also has experience with ultrasound-the one who is in Goffs was a human ultrasound tech for many years so if I need to we may go to those other locations. For now everyone is stable. Honeybee is doing well on her asthma meds and Pumps is taking pilling twice a day like a champ. Its actually faster this way than oral meds with liquids. I have never had a kitty who was easy to pill before. the trick I use is coating it in butter and its capsule so nothing yucky to taste. She swallow like a good girl. Floey used to spit it out no matter how far in the back I got it. So for now Pumps is getting dasquin twice a day for the first 4 weeks and liquid gabapentin at night-which she HATES. but it seems to help keep her comfortable. The hot weather isn't helping their appetites but Daddy gives them treats throughout the day so they are eating. So far I haven't seen any signs of grief. Floey was a loner and Honeybee was always trying to annoy her. Now she annoys pumpkin face.

Yesterday we went to a family members house who has kittens=and I wanted to bring one home so bad but I knew Honeybee would get super jealous. I got all the kittens to sit on my lap and purr away. I thoroughly enjoyed their little faces and tiny purrs. They were around 10 weeks old. They kept trying to get me to bring 2 home because I wanted to but I knew I am not home enough to care for kittens and Pumpkin face would not be happy with a kitten but I wanted to foster kittens and see if she would accept a kitten instead of an adult kitty. I will have to wait until the fall/winter-my girls are outside cats and I don't want the kittens going outside At ALL. so will have to see how it goes later.

Plus I have a few house projects of clearing out clutter to do before we add more cats into the picture unless of course a kitten shows up at my doorway which I have been praying for to happen for a long time.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you have an adult cat and want to adopt a kitten, I strongly advise adopting TWO kittens!  The kittens will play with each other and keep each other company, and the adult cat will most likely make a face and give a hiss of disgust and go elsewhere, but after awhile may watch the kittens play, from an unreachable perch, her own private kitty TV.  I had a friend who didn't believe me and brought home one kitten.  The kitten wanted to play with the adult and followed her everywhere and the adult was constantly annoyed and couldn't relax.  A week later, my friend went out and brought home another kitten, problem solved.  She had a happy 3-cat family from then on.

percy boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's always so hard to say 'Good Bye'...[emoji]128591[/emoji]. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️ RIP Floey

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is 2 weeks. we let her go around noontime. She was definitely ready.

I think I will revisit the ktten issue in Sept or October. Right now Pumps is having pain issues with arthritis and she doesn't even cry in pain. So tomorrow we go see the new vet and see what they think we can try. we hope to get her the surgery to remove the bone fragments from the joints. They are very crunchy when you manipulate them. I try to rub her down and manipulate the joints several times a day. She doesn't like it but I hope soon we can help her. If I cant get it under control I am seriously thinking of letting her go. I never wanted her to be in pain this long. They are so strong and hardly a whimper or a word. But the past month I opened my eyes and watch what she does. True she seems happy but I don't think she will be for long if we can't get the pain under control.

So very hard to even think of letting another cat go. I don't know if she misses Floey but I know Honeybee ticks her off something fierce. I want honeybee to be happy but I also want Pumps to be happy. So hard.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The loss of Floey is still very raw for you. It is so hard to make the right decision for them. I hope the vet can come up with a solution.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the anniversary days, especially the first few weeks are rough.  Hugs.  RIP dear Floey.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Today is 2 weeks. we let her go around noontime. She was definitely ready.

I think I will revisit the ktten issue in Sept or October. Right now Pumps is having pain issues with arthritis and she doesn't even cry in pain. So tomorrow we go see the new vet and see what they think we can try. we hope to get her the surgery to remove the bone fragments from the joints. They are very crunchy when you manipulate them. I try to rub her down and manipulate the joints several times a day. She doesn't like it but I hope soon we can help her. If I cant get it under control I am seriously thinking of letting her go. I never wanted her to be in pain this long. They are so strong and hardly a whimper or a word. But the past month I opened my eyes and watch what she does. True she seems happy but I don't think she will be for long if we can't get the pain under control.

So very hard to even think of letting another cat go. I don't know if she misses Floey but I know Honeybee ticks her off something fierce. I want honeybee to be happy but I also want Pumps to be happy. So hard.
Floey is at peace. She is sending you extra love today. 

Don't rush things. Everything happens the way it is supposed to. When it is time for another kitty to join your family, it will happen naturally and Floey (and Flash too!) will have a hand in guiding you to the right one. 

Pumpkin may not miss Floey per se but not because she doesn't care or anything like that but likely because they knew what was coming and said what they needed to say to each other while Floey was still here. Animals are far above us spiritually. They see far more than we do and they know that they will be reunited when the time is right. If animals could speak, they could teach us so much. Unfortunately, many people would never listen. 

Honeybee ticks her off to keep her from being sad so in her own way, that is how she helps. Yep- that's it. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's now 3 years since Floey has departed from earth. This year will be the first time going on vacation with only 1 cat. Honeybee loves being the only cat. So we probably won't have any more pets after this. But it could change.

I miss Floeys loud purrs. Honeybees purrs are so faint and quiet that one has to lay your ear on her to hear them...

Just feels weird only having 1 cat.