Fleas

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend has an indoor only cat and no fleas. When she took her cat to the vet for checkup, vet said that indoor cats should be treated for fleas on a regular basis because a flea could be introduced into the house on owner's shoes, etc., and then get on the cat. True? I am curious because my cat is also strictly indoors and my vet has never recommended flea meds.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie’s strictly indoors as well. His vet never recommended flea treatment, either. :dunno: I’ll be curious to hear what other posters’ experiences were.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they absolutely can come in in other ways. I am not telling you not to listen to the vet (they like to sell product) but I rather take other precautions like I throw a flea collar in the vacuum bag and vacuum all the time to hopefully suck up and kill a rogue flea. I also have a flea comb and comb through my cats all the time. The eggs can also lay dormant in your carpet and cracks in the floor for an insanely long time so keep that in mind too. I run the risk of mine getting fleas and I am aware of it. But I don't always like putting chemicals on their necks every single month of their lives either. When my one cat went outdoors I treated her regularly. If they pick them up now I will treat, capstar and check a fecal or give them tapeworm tabs if needed.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's possible for fleas to be accidentally brought into the house. That said, I've never treated any of my cats for fleas, and they've never had fleas.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely treat your indoor only cat for fleas. I learned the hard way, since as a first time cat owner I figured if my cats are indoors why would they get fleas?

They got fleas.

Treat your cats with preventative measures. They'll thank you, and you won't have to deal with gross fleas in your house/apartment. That being said, I'm in a ground floor apartment, and I'm sure the fleas could have gotten through the window screen, through cracks in the door jam, or in on my clothes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the input. I may have to rethink this flea thing regarding my own indoor cat.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF you ever get a flea infestation. You'll treat the neighbors lawns and houses too.

Zombiipie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, treat them monthly with topical flea treatment. My suggestion is alternating each month with Frontline and Advantage (told this by my vet for maximum effectiveness against fleas). Don't bathe them for at least 48 hours before or after putting flea treatment on them as it will wash it off before it gets a chance to absorb into their skin. Buy a flea comb and comb them weekly for signs of flea dirt or fleas (spread the hair caught in the comb on a wet paper towel, and if there are little specks of black dirt that turn red upon contact with water, your cat has fleas. Or obviously if you see little black bugs caught in the comb, it's most likely a flea). My cats are indoors and they got fleas after going to the vet because we are first time pet owners and didn't know you have to treat cats for fleas. Don't buy flea treatment at a store, they're way cheaper on Amazon.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I treat my cats monthly with Frontline. We live out in the country and they still get fleas even though they are indoor cats. They come in on clothes and shoes I guess.