Fleas - what works in your area?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in KY. I use Advantage in the fall and winter for fleas, and I use Frontline Plus for the ticks in the summer and spring., it works ok for fleas but not as good as advantage. I also never give the cats both doses in a single month. I also handpick any ticks off any cats.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happens to me also but I have no choice or I'll have ticks which I think are way worse then the fleas.

momsnickers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
College Station, Texas
None
Advantage II, but it doesn't seem to last a full month.

I live in the country and my cats go outside every day. I do have a professional pest company spray our yard and inside our home for everything in general, but specifically fleas, ticks, scorpions, and centipedes. Even still, I usually find fleas on my animals. Never ticks. Advantage II kills them immediately and they stay gone for 2-3 weeks. Then I usually need to re-dose.

pagrandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SE Pennsylvania on 11 wooded /  wetland acres

Two indoor/outdoor former ferals.

I'm currently using Frontline Plus.  My cats HATE it because it burns.

They recognize the aroma as soon as I click open the vial.

Next dose I'm going to try to disguise the smell with candles... or have some stinky food around.

I wish I could find an alternative treatment..... it is a stressful monthly experience.

~ Joyce

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Joyce

I have told hundred of  cat and dog owners in pet store supply places and online of what has worked for our 3 outdoor an indoor cats for 3 years or more.

It is Pet Guard wafers, you can order off amazon or from the company on the phone.

It is garlic that is safe and brewers yeast in each wafer..you give the amount according to weight of the cat or the dog

I give the 11 pound one wafer broke in half each morning with a dry treat he likes

and then his breakfast..after he eats it.

The 23 pound cat gets 2 wafers of Pet guard each morning...15 pound cat gets one and half wafers

It is totally safe and they have been in business along time..no complaints.

My cats are b eautiful and healthy and they are so glad to not have flea drops of any kind on them anymore

nor flea collars.

The other brand is sold online you can google and called Four Paws..

Same ingredients as pet guard . I have bought both of them.

We do spray for grubs in the yard in spring and summer..only twice

we bring the cats inside till it drys well on the grass..as it says.

other than that we never spray pesticides in our home due to our own health

and our cats are flea and tick free.

It takes about 3 weeks to get into their skin well from the Pet guard...or Four paws.

I hope you try it an then tell everyone you know on this site and online and in stores you meet

in pet aisles..because I care about the animals health and about our exposure to pesticides

too..I was seeking to learn something not toxic and

after years of looking to improve my cats health and

prevent the fleas, I found it.

sheri

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its burning them, do not use it anymore. They sell Advantage Multi for cats which covers fleas, ticks, heartworms, I believe and some other intestinal worms. Only thing is it is prescription only. But it is worth it. If you don't want a prescription try vectra, it works good too. Not as broad of coverage as Advantage but still good.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you ought to be feeding garlic daily, I think every couple days or weekly might be better because cats can get anemia if they have too much garlic.  You have the same bowls as I do. Thats pretty neat. 

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1) Northeast Pennsylvania- Our three cats are indoor, but one has supervised time in my fenced in veggie garden. 

2) Advantage (from pet store)- Seem to work but only for about 3 weeks. This was also a treatment on a nursing mother cat with 4 kittens to young to be treated. The kittens got daily Dawn dish soap baths.  Later, when the kittens were treated with it, it seemed to work for a few of them for the 3 weeks, but other kittens showed almost no difference in the amount of fleas. 

3) Frontline plus (from the veterinarian)- We apply as needed, basically whenever we find flea dirt. Takes care of them in a week and lasts at least as long as the box indicates ( 6 weeks?)

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have to try the pet guard wafers. Although the topical stuff isn't working but neither is frontline.
Most of my house is hardwood floors too...

My issueS are the fact my dogs stay mostly outdoors but come inside a good bit too. Oddly I haven't seen a single flea one golden retrained. But she's in her allergic season so she scratches and grooms a lot.

And my job.... I have no way of changing before I come home or leaving anything anywhere. And I go into some really nasty houses.

I haven't tried advantage for cats since I haven't seen it where I get my single doses (only one pet store I've found sells singles) but it doesn't last long for the dogs.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1. South Georgia, USA
2. Hartz or Adams until I found out it can be harmful. I am currently looking for something new.
3. No recommendation other than not to use Hartz or Adams products.

tootsiepop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Minnesota.

The vets prescribe Revolution at my vet places for flea protection. My Grayson is doing a 3 month series- he developed itchiness in May but no fleas discovered just doing it to be extra cautious. most likely has allergies.

angelsrwatchin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some people mention that certain anti-flea treatments no longer work in their area. I'm curious if we can map out the places where fleas may have become immune to frontline, advantage or other treatments.

If you've had to deal with fleas in the past year, please reply with the following - 

1. Where you live.
2. Which flea treatments have you tried that didn't work for you (if any).
3. Which flea treatments have you tried that did work for you.

Feel free to elaborate some more, but please start with these three answers. Thank you!

This should be interesting, if we get a substantial amount of replies.