Flea question

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't afford $60 for Advantage or that other one. What is good in the $20 range that I can use?

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats are you treating? A 4 pack of Advantage or 3 pack of Frontline should cost between $30-35.

$30 will be as low as you can get unless you want to buy per tube from your vet, and then either should cost between $8-12 depending on the vet.

Anything cheaper isn't likely to be legit, or safe, unless you have a petco/petsmart coupon and discount card and get Advantage OTC at one of those stores. If you go that route, call Bayer and make sure it's the real product. Also, if the cat(s) being treated has not seen a vet for several months know that these products are intended for healthy cats.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

How many cats are you treating? A 4 pack of Advantage or 3 pack of Frontline should cost between $30-35.

$30 will be as low as you can get unless you want to buy per tube from your vet, and then either should cost between $8-12 depending on the vet.

Anything cheaper isn't likely to be legit, or safe, unless you have a petco/petsmart coupon and discount card and get Advantage OTC at one of those stores. If you go that route, call Bayer and make sure it's the real product. Also, if the cat(s) being treated has not seen a vet for several months know that these products are intended for healthy cats.

strange_wings is correct. Most vets will sell it by the vial if you want to save right then, in the long run though it is always cheaper to buy by the package.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

So, those other 3-4 packs of drops on the shelf aren't good? I'm only treating 1 cat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, iirc shelf life on Advantage, Frontline, and even Revolution is at least 2 years, one or two of them may even have a longer shelf life than that as imidacloprid has a 5 year shelf life in other applications (non-pet use).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

So, those other 3-4 packs of drops on the shelf aren't good? I'm only treating 1 cat.
Noooo, brands like Hartz are VERY toxic and have killed a lot of cats (Google "Hartz hurts"). Since you only have one cat, the price shouldn't be too much of a problem
. Advantage is only about $10 a dose.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if the point is to save money, I see no point in giving cats preemptive treatment. If there are no fleas even suspected, don't treat IMO. That way the quality stuff will last you a very long time.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use nothing otc. My kitties are precious and that will never touch their skin.

For the life of me, I don't understand why otc flea meds are still available.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can't afford $60 for Advantage or that other one. What is good in the $20 range that I can use?

Thanks!
For one cat it should not cost that much. I don't know where you shop but you can buy single doses instead of a 3 or 4 pack of it for about $15. You can buy single dose flea medication from the vet at Banfield which is usually located within a Petsmart store.

Personally I dislike treating my cats for fleas and have not done it for years. I have 2 dogs and 4 cats. The dogs go in an out all day long. I treat them with Frontline and I also treat my yard for fleas and ticks. I've never had a problem with fleas in the house or fleas on my cats.

If you have a budget issue the *only* over the counter I *might* suggest is Bio Spot. I know several people that use it for both their cats and dogs and are quite happy with the results. It is economically priced, about $19.99 for 3 months or $7.99 for a single dose(dogs, I've not seen single dose cat). Other than Bio Spot I would only recommend Frontline, Advantage or whatever the vet sells. I would never, ever use a flea collar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Also, if the point is to save money, I see no point in giving cats preemptive treatment. If there are no fleas even suspected, don't treat IMO. That way the quality stuff will last you a very long time.
He's got fleas crawling around his face along with flea dirt. On a white cat, it's pretty obvious.

Thanks all for your input!!

Keith

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He's got fleas crawling around his face along with flea dirt. On a white cat, it's pretty obvious.
That's not good. Where there are fleas there's going to be tapeworms, too.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diatomaceous Earth (DE), its cheap (I can get 2 pound for a little over $1) and you can use it as a topical on the fleas, and well as putting a bit in wet food to treat parasites.

I use this to treat my yard (I live in red ant and widow/recluse/Scorpion country) as it is pet safe.

You must be absolutely sure to get food grade DE and not the stuff used for pools.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By your description it sounds like the fleas are bad.Petsmart,Petco or your vets will let you buy 1 application of frontline plus probably for around $15.00.. Best do that and get it applied ASAP.

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend Revolution. I bought one vial for $12 from my vet.

Advantage treats fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae.
Frontline Plus treats fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, flea pupae and ticks.
Revolution treats fleas, flea eggs, ear mites, roundworms, hookworms and heartworms.

There's only a few dollars difference between the three. If you're going to buy one anyways you may as well get the best, right? Plus, since your kitty already has fleas there is a high possibility that she may also have tapeworms. Revolution will treat both, which will save you money in the long run.
The only downside is inconvenience. You can only buy Revolution from a vet, whereas you can buy Advantage and Frontline OTC, at a vet, or a even at some groomers.

I absolutely do not recommend Hartz, BioSpot or any other cheap OTC flea medication. Too many people have lost their pets because of the cheaper alternative, and honestly I'm not even sure how those companies stay in business. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take. You may have saved your kitty's life by doing research.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mewsings

Revolution treats fleas, flea eggs, ear mites, roundworms, hookworms and heartworms.

Plus, since your kitty already has fleas there is a high possibility that she may also have tapeworms. Revolution will treat both
You've just contradicted yourself. At first you correctly list what worms it will treat. Next you claim it will treat tapeworms, which it does not do.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

If you have a budget issue the *only* over the counter I *might* suggest is Bio Spot. I know several people that use it for both their cats and dogs and are quite happy with the results. It is economically priced, about $19.99 for 3 months or $7.99 for a single dose(dogs, I've not seen single dose cat). Other than Bio Spot I would only recommend Frontline, Advantage or whatever the vet sells. I would never, ever use a flea collar.
Biospot is no safer that Hartz, sergeants, or zodiac. They are all killers.

Whisky's dad, as the others have said use only the known safe flea treatments. Frontline plus for cats, Advantage for cats or Revolution for cats. And don't put it off, what you describe is a serious flea infestation and your kitty must be feeling terribly ill from it .

You are going to need to treat him for quite a long time, and treat your house too.

And yes, your kitty is going to need to be treated for tapeworm too. That's droncit, a tablet that you can get from your vet.

Check your vet's prices they may be lower than any stores, and if you purchase the six pack you get one (or two) free, that is manufacturer promotion

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Biospot is no safer that Hartz, sergeants, or zodiac. They are all killers.
Hi Otto, you are the first person I've ever heard say a negative thing about Bio Spot. I don't use OTC meds on any of my animals which is why I said I *might* suggest it if budget was an issue for gardenandcats. I have no personal experience Bio Spot but know several that have had good results with it.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Otto, you are the first person I've ever heard say a negative thing about Bio Spot. I don't use OTC meds on any of my animals which is why I said I *might* suggest it if budget was an issue for gardenandcats. I have no personal experience Bio Spot but know several that have had good results with it.
EDIT:

Sorry, Meant Whiskys Dad as the original poster and not gardenandcats.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks all for your input!!

Keith
From this description I'd immediately go to Petsmart or Petco and get a single dose of Frontline Plus, Advantage or Revolution. Should only cost you about $15 for the single dose. Do it as soon as possible. You did not indicate if the cat is indoor, outdoor or both. If the cat goes in and out all the time you might want to try and do a monthly dose to keep fleas under control.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have no personal experience Bio Spot but know several that have had good results with it.
I seem to recall a person on here having had a cat that had a minor reaction to it a couple years ago. You'd have to search the health section for the thread (mostly because with my concept of time means it could have been 5 years ago or last year
).