flagyl for diarrhea

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted previously about my kitten with diarrhea. I took him to the vet this past Monday for his 8 week check up/shots and he still was having diarrhea. The vet gave me liquid flagyl to give him twice a day for 7 days. So today is day 3. His poop has changed color and consistency but it is still mushy, although no longer liquidy. The good thing is that he's not going as frequently and he isn't making a mess all over himself. But when should i start to see normal stools again?

maggiewheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I went threw this with my Peanut. Before you drop thousands of dollors at the vets. Go get limited ingredient cat food. Try blue buffalo basics duck and potato.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet suggested i get science diet. How long did it take for you to notice his stools getting normal after you switched to that food?

He's gained almost a pound in two weeks and he's so active and playful. So the diarrhea is the only symptom

maggiewheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's gonna take a little while but give it a chance maybe 3 weeks. Take away the wet food leave plenty of fresh water always. You can add a little water to the dry food helps kittens to take to it. I'm gonna go threw all peanuts paperwork from when she went threw that and I will post back to you. But please if you have any more questions for me just ask

maggiewheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea was peanuts only problem. They did so many test it was crazy nothing abnormal came up. In the long run it was a sensitive stomach that she just out grew. She is a year and half now.

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten experienced the same symptoms, read up on tritrichomonas foetus. cats with this show only symptoms of diarrhea and are otherwise healthy,active and gain weight. the test for TF is relatively inexpensive. I tried diet changes,flagyl with only temporary relief of cats diarrhea .

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try putting real pumpkin in his soft food. It didn't work for me but pet owners and vets say pumpkin fixes all.
Thanks! I tried the pumpkin before he was put on Flagyl. he LOVED it and it worked somewhat but not fully. The Flagyl seems to be working but the poop is still mushy and yellowish. But it is thicker so hes not getting it all over himself anymore. I am wondering if maybe he will just outgrow it. I am keeping him on the Science Diet for awhile to see how that goes. I hate to keep switching his food around. and I am giving him dry food. he will eat anything I give him. lol

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My kitten experienced the same symptoms, read up on tritrichomonas foetus. cats with this show only symptoms of diarrhea and are otherwise healthy,active and gain weight. the test for TF is relatively inexpensive. I tried diet changes,flagyl with only temporary relief of cats diarrhea .
When I took my Loki to the vet, I mentioned to the vet about getting the fecal test sent out and checked and he said that's what they did the first time and everything was negative. I honestly think maybe it was just cause he was so young and on his own and he shouldn't have been. He's 8 weeks now and the Flagyl seems to be doing something to make the situation better. I am hoping he might just outgrow it BUT if I finish the medicine and his poop goes back to that liquidy stuff, then I'll call the vet back.

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

update; I just got off the phone with my vet and asked him about TF and he has never heard of it. which is weird cause you're not the first person who has told me about it.  do you live in a different country? im confused. lol -- but anyways, he suggested that I give him a probiotic everyday in his food until his stools become normal again

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest your vet Google Dr Jody Gookin, a vet who has done extensive research on tf. She is a well known scientist and researcher in feline diseases. He could also contact the Winn Foundation, who funds feline health research.