Fish oil as a daily supplement with usual food

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys
I hope you're well. I have bought back again the pure salmon oil that I used to mix with my boy's food when he was kitten. He didn't like it a first but he'll go back to his bowl and finish it eventually.
I was just wondering if it's totally safe to use it daily just for overall health? I used (Dr Clauders pure salmon oil) the photo is attached)
ef3281c3aa7110f29ffed42b7176ca2b.jpeg

Have you heard of the brand? Any idea please! As I couldn't find much reviews about it.
Thank you

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally wouldn’t use salmon oil daily. Salmon oil is more prone to contamination, and is quite fatty, tmk. I’d personally either go for human omega capsules and give an appropriate dosage for body weight once a week, or get fish oil sourced from smaller fish, like sardines or anchovies.

Does the food you feed already contain an animal-based omega 3 source? If it does, you may not want to regularly supplement fish oil, if at all, to begin with. Recommended dose for healthy cats is around 30mg/kg/day of EPA +DHA.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have used salmon oil with Morgenne and Kitty Fantastic for over two years now, every day, with only improvements to show for it. We use Eicosiaderm from the veterinarian and they both do very well with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maurey Maurey I have him on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Dry and it does have fish oil in the ingredients. Unfortunately here in Morocco we don't other options except the salmon oil. I just wanna use it for overall health. Since he only eats dry. I want to supplement his diet.
What do you mean by fatty? Does it contribute in weight gain!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What do the directions on the bottle say? I use salmon oil for my cat with ckd. Water is very important. Even if he drinks a lot, not all of it goes down. I give my cat churu ore tiki tubes,almost 90% water. She only eats wet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Salmon oil for humans may contain fillers. I would not give it to cats without thoroughly reading the ingredients. Buying salmon oil for cats would be safer. Refrigerate it so you don't have to worry about contamination

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does drink a lot of water. Unfortunately he is not a fan of wet food. He only likes dry. Fresh clean is always provided. maggie101 maggie101 why wouldn't you count salmon oil mixed with dry food beneficial?