Fish based raw food?

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Adopted female ex breeding Bengal femal at 2yrs last year. Had her spayed.
She was on raw chicken only diet with her ex owners. But maintained the same but she ended with ear was and itchy ears etc. diagnosed as yeast infection.
Seen many vets when finally found she was allergic to food ingredients.
She is allergic to chicken, beef, turkey, pork, rabbit, and certain fish species. Also allergic to peas as well as such most dry food are out. Worst she is damn picky eater and have tried duck but she seems to end vomitting after taking them.
So end with mackerel kibbles and Tuna can food.
She does not like salmon kibbles and only choose 1 brand of mackerel kibble. Also hates any other can food for fish.
Sticking with fish based as that's what she takes without vomitting.
But heard tuna is bad but my vet says have to live with it since she is too picky and cats cannot be forced to go on the hunger periods.
As such has anyine has tried any recipe in making own raw food based on fish?
Looking at making own boneless fish raw food but not sure if any commercial supplements available to add.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Venison is a good idea. My girls love it. Also wild boar. There’s also quail and lamb you could try.

Ziwi Peak makes a Mackerel balanced canned variety, but it has chickpeas so not sure that would suit.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be aware that many species of raw fish contain an enzyme called thiaminaise with inhibits the absorption of thiamine.

When served infrequently thiaminaise is not a huge issue, but as part of a daily diet the effects of niacin deficiency are catastrophic.

There are many resources online that list which raw fish are species problematic with regard to thiaminaise. unfortunately, it is a long list.

My understanding is that thiaminaise is eliminated or substantially reduced by cooking—but verify that.

Bil

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Venison is a good idea. My girls love it. Also wild boar. There’s also quail and lamb you could try.

Ziwi Peak makes a Mackerel balanced canned variety, but it has chickpeas so not sure that would suit.
Wild boar tends to be riddled with parasites. I would personally not feed wild boar raw and would strongly advise against it.

And I’m a veteran raw feeder.

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies.
I had tried venison dried raw from Ziwi peak and she did not even take a bite.
She prefers the real cheap can food like the price similar to fancy feast etc.
I am staying in SIngapore so just to give the gauge of the price of food can.
For now she is on Earth made Makeral pellets (She WILL ONLY take this pellets)
All other such as instinct Salmon raw pellets she has refused t even take a pellet.
Night give her a 75gram can of tuna -slamon mix.
Just bought Zealandia brand Salmon and Vension to try out.
Nut seems the salon and Vension cans also has has lamb products as the rest of ingredients.
She is not allergic to lamb but hope she will like the taste.
ZiwiPeak 85gm can food is more ex than raw food here.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suljas Suljas I do hope you confirm that whatever fish species you choose to serve raw doesn’t contain thiaminaise.

You may wish to google what happened to minks and foxes who were farm raised on fish that contained thiaminaise.

Bill

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My understanding (but double-check it) is that the cooking/canning process destroys or diminishes the negative effect of thiaminase.

But since the issue of basing a diet on raw fish was raised, people reading this thread now (and in the future) should be aware of the very risk of feeding fish species that contain thiaminase on an ongoing basis.

No one wants cats to come to harm.

Bill

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m grateful for this info as I was unaware of it.
The good news (from my understanding) is that thiaminase exits the body very rapidly. So a person could feed a species that contained thiaminase (many of which are oily fish that are loaded with positive nutrients) without causing harm.

The big problem comes when the feeding is so regular (such as a daily diet) where the absorption of thiamin is blocked entirely. That is a catastrophic condition.

I'm very supportive of raw feeding (and a raw feeder), but we need to understand the risks of some situations. With dogs, for example, feeding salmon and trout from the Pacific Northwest can lead to a infection with a parasitic flatworm that in turn is infected with the bacteria Nanophyetus salmincola. Salmon poison is treatable is it is caught in time. If not, it can be fatal.

Bill

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So no raw wild boar. Ok. I assume also no raw pork in general as I’ve read here and there. But what about commercial, balanced raw pork cat food? Lotus makes one. I’ve not tried it because I’m not sure it’s such a great idea. Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So no raw wild boar. Ok. I assume also no raw pork in general as I’ve read here and there. But what about commercial, balanced raw pork cat food? Lotus makes one. I’ve not tried it because I’m not sure it’s such a great idea. Appreciate your thoughts on this.
The US--at long last--did eliminate trichinosis causing parasites from domestically raised pork about 40 years ago.

Raw pork from the human supply chain is fine for our pet carnivores and we humans can eat medium-rare without worry, unlike when I was growing up (when pork was all cooked well).

Wild boar, which can be delicious when well cooked, unfortunately has a propensity to harbor parasites (including Trichinella), so it isn't a good choice for raw feeding.

I feed my dog a lot of raw pork. I feed my cat far less pork, as pork is only a moderate source of taurine.

When butchering out pork legs for my dog's food prep, I will sometimes isolate muscles that are particularly dark (red) as there is a correlation between dark (hard working) muscles and higher taurine levels, and I will receive those portions for Desmond.

One could also supplement a diet heavier in pork with synthesized taurine powder.

Bill

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The US--at long last--did eliminate trichinosis causing parasites from domestically raised pork about 40 years ago.

Raw pork from the human supply chain is fine for our pet carnivores and we humans can eat medium-rare without worry, unlike when I was growing up (when pork was all cooked well).

Wild boar, which can be delicious when well cooked, unfortunately has a propensity to harbor parasites (including Trichinella), so it isn't a good choice for raw feeding.

I feed my dog a lot of raw pork. I feed my cat far less pork, as pork is only a moderate source of taurine.

When butchering out pork legs for my dog's food prep, I will sometimes isolate muscles that are particularly dark (red) as there is a correlation between dark (hard working) muscles and higher taurine levels, and I will receive those portions for Desmond.

One could also supplement a diet heavier in pork with synthesized taurine powder.

Bill
Thank you Bill. Very helpful!