First Time Urethral Blockage

odesza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Follow-up to this thread that I created about two weeks ago. My cat became completely blocked late last night. He was acting fine all day, ate normally, etc. and then he wouldn't move at night. He yowled and had his hind legs stretched out like he was straining. I took him to the ER vet immediately. They said we brought him in just in time... his kidney levels were fortunately normal, but his heart rate was a little lower than usual (which they explained is because his bladder was full and rigid). He had a catheter placed in and they were able to drain his urine and flush out the remaining struvite crystals (which were still present in his bladder when they took an ultrasound).

They mentioned the possibility of recurrence with crystals and getting blocked again, and if he does, that reconstructive surgery (PU) may be necessary. I am fearing the absolute worst right now, given everything that's happened since April. Finances are extremely tight and this hospitalization alone cost over $2000. Surgery would be double that.

Has anyone had success with a strict wet food diet and/or other supplements (e.g. Cosequin which was recommended by the vet)? I don't know how to encourage my cat to drink more water. As far as stressors, he has plenty of personal space around the house (the other cat stays in his own area), as well as toys, his own litter box, etc. Does Feliway really work?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I can't answer directly because my boy had the PU surgery while he was with his first family. My knowledge of his history is that they'd been feeding him all dry, he blocked badly and they started feeding him canned food.

Calming products in addition to feliway, and also music (MusicForCats . com, the app Relax My Cat, or classical harp music) can be quite good at helping a cat to relax.

If you haven't, try a pet water fountain, or even see if your kitty would be interested in drinking from the kitchen sink faucet.

Also try increasing his exercise - including taking him for walks :)

I don't know if you've seen these already but maybe they might be of help;
(apologies for any dead links you may encounter);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are many other members who have had to deal with similar situations, up to and including PU surgery. I am not one of them -but by responding to your post, your thread gets 'bumped up" on the hierarchy list and maybe that will help with some of these members seeing your post sooner. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't know how to encourage my cat to drink more water. As far as stressors, he has plenty of personal space around the house (the other cat stays in his own area), as well as toys, his own litter box, etc. Does Feliway really work?
As for encouraging your kitty to drink more water, best is to feed wet food and on top of that, you may like to add in a little more water to the food so that he gets really hydrated. Just don't add to much as water will dilute the original content of vitamins needed and if he does not finish his food, it means that he does not have enough nutrients that he needs each day.

The other will be water fountain but not all cats will drink from it and maybe try using a ceramic or stainless steel plate and see if he drinks from there. If not, try ice cubes.

Stress can com in many forms, not only from what he currently has like you mentioned. It could be stress from the other cat too which you have to get to the bottom of it if that's the case.
Is there a new person in the house? Someone he's attached to went for too long a holiday?

My boy is on wet food since the first day till now and in late December last year, he got UTI and yes, tests came back that he had crystals in his urine. It was painful for him and for me too.

We could not find anything that could have contributed to the UTI as we often add a little extra water to his meal each time as he does not drink water from any where.

His got the UTI from being stressed out because his mommy went for too long a holiday and he misses her and that was then cause of his UTI.
After he was treated for his symptoms, till now, he is peeing normally.

I've not use Feliway before so I cannot comment on it.

Here're two articles for you to read :-

six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats.30316

potential-stressors-in-cats-the-ultimate-checklist.30274

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

odesza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions. Furballsmom, thank you for the financial aid links. I am reading them now. As for daily walks outside, he does not enjoy being on a leash. He is a strictly indoor cat, but we do let both cats outside in the screened-in patio area where they can lounge or walk around.

tabbytom, there have been no major changes in the house. No new furniture, people leaving or going, no screaming babies or children, no dogs, no loud construction noises. There has, however, been a random stray cat that I've seen a few times in the backyard, which I had read (and was advised by the vet) can be a trigger. I've chased away the cat from our yard, but there may be times when I'm not home and the stray cat might pop up again.

I stopped by the veterinary clinic earlier today to visit him and spoke with the vet. According to them, he is eating well, and urine is coming out with the help of the catheter. They will be monitoring him throughout the night and removing the catheter some time in the early morning and see how he pees without it.

I spoke with another veterinary clinic in the area for a second opinion (regarding PU) and have set up an appt. for next week. Earliest they could do is Thursday. They provide a complimentary first time appt.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to read this. I don't have any experience with crystals or blockages, however, since I've been following your other thread, I wanted to post here, and send healing vibes that your boy recovers quickly and does not need the surgery.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the strict canned food diet first. Demi blocks if he gets more than 1/2 cup of dry food. He should be on all wet food, but he throws a fit.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
He should be on all wet food, but he throws a fit
cats :gaah: gotta love 'em though :seesaw:

They will be monitoring him throughout the night and removing the catheter some time in the early morning and see how he pees without it.
:vibes::crossfingers: :goodluck: :cheerleader:

I've chased away the cat from our yard, but there may be times when I'm not home and the stray cat might pop up again.
If you see that stray again or any other cat, try getting a can of lemon scented furniture polish, spray some dollar store wash cloths and place those around the perimeter of your yard. They'll need to be maintained/freshened but they should help deter feline visits.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had PU surgery 2 years ago. He went from perfectly fine to blocked. He was at the ER hospital for 6 days. We were going to pick him up and he blocked again so he had the PU surgery. Not a fun time. It was a horrible month. Yet he did really well for almost 2 years. He was fed strictly a wet food diet with extra water added. He was never a big water drinker even with a fountain.

Fast forward to March of this year. He started having very large pees. It was discovered he had a UTI with some crystals. Yet the antibiotic did not help. A week later he completely blocked again. It was a grim time since he had already had the PU surgery. He was at the ER vet for for 4 days. There is another surgery called PPU, but it is very expensive and a very long surgery. Recovery is hard as well. Fortunately he started to urinate on his own again. It was another very rough 4 weeks, but he is once again doing really well.

I found an amazing facebook group. It's called Feline Lower Urinary Tract. It's a closed group so you have to ask to join. Yet the information presented is amazing.

I hope that the next vet visit goes well. The main thing I can say is water water water. Add extra water to wet food. I also give a small amount of Cat Sip Cat milk. For awhile I was even syringing him water when his appetite was low.

I wish the best for you and your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

odesza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice, kind words, and well wishes. We brought him home a few hours ago. He will be getting medication (antibiotic, painkiller, and anti-urethra spasm) around the clock. I've placed additional water bowls around the house. He is getting prescription canned food. I've placed an order for Cosequin capsules (as recommended by vet) and Feliway Multicat from Amazon (lower priced than Petsmart).

His name is Rory. :heartshape: He also says thank you for the well wishes and support.