First time TNR

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am in the Cincinnati Ohio area and have been caring for a feral cat since last spring when I saw her struggling to keep her kittens healthy. Most of them died except one. I started feeding her and eventually she brought her baby around. By the time the baby was old enough to take the mom in for TNR, she was very pregnant and had 4 more kittens in late August. The family started sleeping in the cat shelter I have and eating at my patio most nights. Then in December the weather was unusually warm and I really worried about the mom getting pregnant again as the kittens were about the same age as the first one was when she got pregnant with these four, so I called the local cat clinic who confirmed I should bring them in for TNR even though it is winter. Unfortunately the first appointment I could get was two weeks ago. At that time it was still fairly mild weather and the forecast did not seem bad. So I did the TNR and returned them outside, and then the weather pretty immediately got really bad. Right now the temps are in the teens and will drop to single digits. We’ve had 6-8 inches of snow so far and another 5 coming next week. On top of that the cats have not returned to use the shelters, but two kittens came for food four nights ago and I think the mom finally made an appearance a couple nights ago. I did more research online and it seems like TNR in winter is a really awful thing to do to the cats. I wish I had researched more before.

I am really worried about these cats being in the elements with their shaved bellies. Will they survive? Why aren’t they coming back to use the shelters I have - does that mean they probably have another place? Also, why did the cat clinic allow me to (and encourage me to) TNR with the dangers of winter? Any insight into how they might be doing would be really appreciated. I can’t find many real life stories of what happens to cats who are TNRed in winter.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am in the Cincinnati Ohio area and have been caring for a feral cat since last spring when I saw her struggling to keep her kittens healthy. Most of them died except one. I started feeding her and eventually she brought her baby around. By the time the baby was old enough to take the mom in for TNR, she was very pregnant and had 4 more kittens in late August. The family started sleeping in the cat shelter I have and eating at my patio most nights. Then in December the weather was unusually warm and I really worried about the mom getting pregnant again as the kittens were about the same age as the first one was when she got pregnant with these four, so I called the local cat clinic who confirmed I should bring them in for TNR even though it is winter. Unfortunately the first appointment I could get was two weeks ago. At that time it was still fairly mild weather and the forecast did not seem bad. So I did the TNR and returned them outside, and then the weather pretty immediately got really bad. Right now the temps are in the teens and will drop to single digits. We’ve had 6-8 inches of snow so far and another 5 coming next week. On top of that the cats have not returned to use the shelters, but two kittens came for food four nights ago and I think the mom finally made an appearance a couple nights ago. I did more research online and it seems like TNR in winter is a really awful thing to do to the cats. I wish I had researched more before.

I am really worried about these cats being in the elements with their shaved bellies. Will they survive? Why aren’t they coming back to use the shelters I have - does that mean they probably have another place? Also, why did the cat clinic allow me to (and encourage me to) TNR with the dangers of winter? Any insight into how they might be doing would be really appreciated. I can’t find many real life stories of what happens to cats who are TNRed in winter.
I honestly think it's going to depend on who you ask. I had a similar situation to yours and I finally caught momma and had her spayed. I debated on whether to leave her in my outbuilding over the 3 coldest months of winter and finally decided she wasn't happy living in crates so I released her. She is at my place of work and while I see some evidence of use of my shelter I'm not sure it is her. I live in St. Louis area and fully appreciate your concern for the upcoming days ahead with single digit temps.

One thing is having a freshly shaved belly, she can get frostbite easier than without and also get hypothermia. I agree with you that winter is a horrible time for TNR, but I know there are groups and several people doing it year round.

I would keep those shelters in place and add some catnip, they may or may not have a warmer and safer place. IMHO even without the TNR they are at risk, but probably more at risk having less hair.

Please do not beat yourself up. Just do all that is within your power to provide shelter and food for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing is having a freshly shaved belly, she can get frostbite easier than without and also get hypothermia. I agree with you that winter is a horrible time for TNR, but I know there are groups and several people doing it year round.

I would keep those shelters in place and add some catnip, they may or may not have a warmer and safer place. IMHO even without the TNR they are at risk, but probably more at risk having less hair.
I am keeping the shelters and put food and catnip in and around them but they weren’t interested the brief time they came by. If they know the food is here and they aren’t coming more often, I was hoping that could be a sign they have another place. There has been a couple other larger strays (they don’t seem feral) who I think are Toms coming around and eating the food, but they also aren’t using the shelters. Could they be spraying and keeping my ferals away?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am keeping the shelters and put food and catnip in and around them but they weren’t interested the brief time they came by. If they know the food is here and they aren’t coming more often, I was hoping that could be a sign they have another place. There has been a couple other larger strays (they don’t seem feral) who I think are Toms coming around and eating the food, but they also aren’t using the shelters. Could they be spraying and keeping my ferals away?
They may have another place it’s hard to say. Do you we urine in the snow or smell it? I had a cat use one of my shelters and it was definitely sprayed on.

The shelter I have at work I check the straw to see if it’s been laid on. Have you done this? They may not go in when you are there.

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They may have another place it’s hard to say. Do you we urine in the snow or smell it? I had a cat use one of my shelters and it was definitely sprayed on.

The shelter I have at work I check the straw to see if it’s been laid on. Have you done this? They may not go in when you are there.
Yes I can smell urine around the area. I have an outdoor camera on the food station and shelters so I know who has been coming around, but since it snowed none of the TNRed cats have been back. I really hope they are doing ok.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can smell urine around the area. I have an outdoor camera on the food station and shelters so I know who has been coming around, but since it snowed none of the TNRed cats have been back. I really hope they are doing ok.
I do as well. Are the shelters on your porch? The camera is a great thing and just keep checking it. Maybe put more shelters out if you can?

I saw my momma last night and she ran from me but she watches me from the woods. I put some canned food up our building and I hope she went in the shelter.

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do as well. Are the shelters on your porch? The camera is a great thing and just keep checking it. Maybe put more shelters out if you can?

I saw my momma last night and she ran from me but she watches me from the woods. I put some canned food up our building and I hope she went in the shelter.
I’m so happy for you that you saw your momma!!! What a relief and that gives me hope for mine!!! I hope she gets the food you put out and uses your shelter too. I do have the shelters on my patio and I made a new one from a tub and styrofoam last week in case they would use a new one, but no one is interested in them! I am hoping that they come back to eat when the snow melts. They are predicting another foot next week which is way more than we usually get around here. But today it was 30 degrees out and sunny, and supposedly will be back in the 40s after the snowstorm in a week and a half, so I’m praying they can make it till then!!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so happy for you that you saw your momma!!! What a relief and that gives me hope for mine!!! I hope she gets the food you put out and uses your shelter too. I do have the shelters on my patio and I made a new one from a tub and styrofoam last week in case they would use a new one, but no one is interested in them! I am hoping that they come back to eat when the snow melts. They are predicting another foot next week which is way more than we usually get around here. But today it was 30 degrees out and sunny, and supposedly will be back in the 40s after the snowstorm in a week and a half, so I’m praying they can make it till then!!
Oh I wish it was that warm here lol we are going to single digits and wind chills. That is a lot of snow to contend with. Keep us posted.