First Time Taming 2 Ferals!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm personally against the "burrito" method, but from what I understand about it, it's normally used on very young feral kittens, not kittens the age that yours are. If you caged the kitty or forcibly wrapped her up and held her now, you may destroy the trust that you've built up with her, and she may fear you even more and run away when you approach her. I personally don't believe in overpowering a cat unless it's necessary for a vet trip or administering medicine. I think you should consider being patient and allowing this kitty to bond with you in her own way and time. It took six months before my last adopted feral kitty allowed me to pet her, and it was well worth the wait because now she is very trusting and affectionate.

The other point you might want to consider is that not all cats--domesticated or formerly feral--are affectionate or enjoy physical contact. My favorite cat in my entire life, the one I still feel the closest bond with even though he passed a year and a half ago, was an outdoor feral who never allowed me to touch him. Muffin would sit close to me, and kept me company, and listened to my problems, and allowed me to care for him. In fact, several of my neighbors enjoyed his quiet and comforting presence and confided in him, as crazy as that sounds. He was a deeply spiritual cat. I believe there are ways to form a deep bond with a cat other than petting. One of his offspring that I took into my home doesn't want me to touch her, either. I took her into my home 4 years ago after Muffin had brought her to my porch to share his food bowl, and when I discovered after a vet visit and Xray that she had been shot several months prior, and still had the bullet lodged in her pelvis (shot with a real gun, not a BB gun), I took her in. She does not enjoy touch, and spends most of her time resting under my bed or sitting by the window, and it's a challenge to groom her. She has arthritis from the injury. However, she is very content, and safe, and likes to play with the wand toy sometimes, and I derive a lot of satisfaction knowing that no one will ever be able to hurt her again. And that's enough for me. I have five rescued cats, and I accept each for who they are, and that makes for a happy household. These are just my thoughts and experiences, though, I trust you'll make the right decisions for your kitty because you know her best and wants what's best for her.

Last edited: