First Time Cat(s?) Owner: Should We Get One Or Two Kittens?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've spent the last 2 1/2 hours chasing her around the living room and continually fishing her out from behind the entertainment center or under the couch.
That will calm down shortly. For Raja, it lasted a few hours. Mizu came home four days later and was more interested in Raja than she was interested in hiding. Mizu did like exploring places more, still does, but she really doesn't bother with the most undesirable ones (in my place, that's behind the entertainment center.) What I did notice was the less fuss we put up about it, the less interesting those places became. Do you have Dorothy in a safe room? Maybe there's one that's easier than your living room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That will calm down shortly. For Raja, it lasted a few hours. Mizu came home four days later and was more interested in Raja than she was interested in hiding. Mizu did like exploring places more, still does, but she really doesn't bother with the most undesirable ones (in my place, that's behind the entertainment center.) What I did notice was the less fuss we put up about it, the less interesting those places became. Do you have Dorothy in a safe room? Maybe there's one that's easier than your living room?
It’s already gotten a bit better, thanks. About 4hrs in. She’s not frantically trying to hide anymore. But I’m not about to jump to conclusions and say, “problem solved,” but I hope it continues to improve.

We intended to set up her “base camp” in the dining room, which is a wood floor room. But she would do nothing but hide under everything she could when we took her in there. Maybe in the future. But for the time being, she seems to gravitate to the living room. It’s not a large room, and I think we’ve finally cut off all her escape routes.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Erin offered to let us keep both for the weekend, but honestly the thought of the two of them was just too overwhelming, knowing nothing about cats and never having had one. And I think it was the right decision. We set out looking for one, and I think found the right one. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to move the entertainment center again. : )
It sounds like you made a great decision!!!
If she's hiding and you're not thrilled with her choice of hiding place, put her in a room with safer spots and leave her be alone to chill out (yeah, telling a 6 year old girl to NOT hold the new kitten is a challenge, I know, LOL). She will come out on her own time.
Cats are really smart about potential problems and if they sense new stuff (new home, new cat, new dog, new people, new anything) their instinct is to hide. Totally normal =)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All will be fine regardless, but I'd do less chasing and fishing out. If the kitten is hiding, its a bit scared, and being "fished out" doesn't help. Better to wait patiently, or get down on that level and toss some treats, or try to lure out with a toy. Next time you bring a kitten home, aim for a smaller room with a door as the home base, but this is nothing to worry about. (Many pick a bedroom, although a room without a bed to hide under is even better.)

I don't think it will matter in the long run, but its really best not to grab at the kitten and pick it up before its ready. Better to let it come to you. And it will likely be ready to play with toys with you before letting you pick up. If your a little scared of a giant, being picked up and cuddled is ... flipping terrifying.

If your daughter is too young for patience, could take a bit longer which is fine. However, there is some chance the kitten will emerge from the adjustment period not liking to be pet or picked up. That isn't the end of the world, can be worked on. However, with patience and less grabbing, its likely this can be avoided. Tell your daughter the strategy is to let the kitten be the boss of what they do together...for now.

I thought you'd avoid this adjustment period by picking the kitten that seemed to be chilling/cuddling since you were doing the intro in your house, but I guess having the woman in your house made a big difference. In hindsight that makes sense, and I'm sorry we didn't do a better job warning you about being grabby. NBD, get a handle on it now and it should be fine.

Last edited:

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
930EFA17-AA7A-4912-B6E6-166ACEC9C68E.jpeg

This hasn’t happened again since we brought her home for good, but it was fun while it lasted.

Checking out the neighborhood squirrels.

“I’m ready for my close up.”

“On second thought, perhaps a nap sounds good.”

She likes to color. Her favorite color? Purrrrrple, of course.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she hid for about 4hrs yesterday, and ever since she has been hellacurious. She even ventured about three steps into the dining room today . . . and then hurried right back into the living room.
Those pictures are adorable!!!!
You'll love it when her confidence builds (usually takes a day or two!) enough for her to spend 85% of her time arching her back at stuff and kinda-sorta charging at it, then running away LOL

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness what a long-legged kitty!
Yeah, we were a little concerned that she's so skinny, but the vet apparently wasn't worried about it, and she IS eating, so I dunno. She must have a great metabolism. Just one of the many things she and I do not share in common.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness what a long-legged kitty!
I thought so too! Who knows, but with those legs you'd think climber/leaper, Abyssinian style...watch out for the drapes and make sure no family relics are near the edge of anything, no matter how high lol.

I've got a cat with an unusually long tail now. Which is relevant to nothing I guess, but I was able to tell the cat sitter was a cat expert when it was the first thing she noticed :)

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
From personal experience Pairs are best. Especially if they are bonded! My first two Artie and Jaspur are a brother pair rescued at Walmart and i was only going to take one. I was going to take Jaspur but taking Artemis as well was the best choice ever. He pushes Jaspur to be more social other wise we'd really never see him. He brings out another side of Jaspur that only another cat would :) plus it was one of my greatest joys to watch them play. Two kittens are always better than one! :D

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww.....a little dilute tortie! I love her nose stripe. Please keep sharing pics; we adopted Juniper at 8 months, and have no kitten pics of her, so these are helping me imagine her kitten stage.

Congrats on adopting Dorothy! You daughter looks soooooo happy to have a little furry friend.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dorothy is a little doll! As you can see from my avatar, I'm partial to torties (and calicos), and I love the dilute version of them.

I can't venture a guess about ghosties and goblins, but I'd say that you now have the "long-leggity beasties" AND the "things that go BUMP in the night" portion of our program down pat!