First Time Cat(s?) Owner: Should We Get One Or Two Kittens?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two is better than one for the happiness and well being of the kittens according to the experts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the great advice, everyone.

So here's a couple more questions:

Last time they were here, one was content to snuggle on the couch and couldn't care less about the other, who was wildly darting around our living room and hiding under the couch and coffee table, and getting under the entertainment center and chewing on the cords. But then the woman who brought them said she was surprised because the one who was being particularly mellow was usually the wilder of the two. Are two sibling cats necessarily going to be bonded just because they are brother and sister and have been together already for some time? As I pointed out to a coworker earlier today - who had adopted a brother and sister dog who fight constantly - just because they're brother and sister doesn't mean they'll get along. The might fight . . . well . . . like brother and sister. Or would one assume they'll get along better and keep each other entertained?

Also, would a brother and sister cat who are not yet fixed attempt to mate? I mean, you'd hope there would be something in there innate nature to not try that, but I have no idea.

Thanks

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will mate if you don't get them fixed. Please get them fixed. They all have different personalities, some become buddies and some don't.

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They will mate if you don't get them fixed. Please get them fixed. They all have different personalities, some become buddies and some don't.
Don't get me wrong. We WILL get them fixed, but they aren't yet. They're too young. They're only like 10wks old. We'll get them fixed at 12-13wks, or as soon as we're allowed to.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will mate if you don’t get them fixed. You will have no issues if you take appropriate action when they are 3-4 months old.

What does the women who brought them say about their relationship? She should have an idea about whether they are bonded.

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong. We WILL get them fixed, but they aren't yet. They're too young. They're only like 10wks old. We'll get them fixed at 12-13wks, or as soon as we're allowed to.
Nevermind. I just looked it up. If I'm interpreting what I'm reading correctly, they don't hit puberty until about 16wks, so as long as we take care of it before then we should be good?

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does the women who brought them say about their relationship? She should have an idea about whether they are bonded.
Right. Good point. We'll ask her. We didn't ask her before because we were pretty ignorant at the time, having not really done much research to that point, and didn't really know what questions TO ask. Thanks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right. Good point. We'll ask her. We didn't ask her before because we were pretty ignorant at the time, having not really done much research to that point, and didn't really know what questions TO ask. Thanks.
Even if they are not best friends who do everything together, I would take both. My guess is that they will spend time together, play, and provide comfort, while also bonding with their respective people. You obviously don’t want to adopt two cats who hate one another, but that would be extremely rare in a litter of kittens.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it runs the whole spectrum, sometimes even in the same pare of kittens. I adopted two found together, and one would cry when the other wasn't in sight. The other didn't care; would play with the other one when he felt like it, maybe let the other one groom him every now and then. I certainly wouldn't separate kittens if even one has that kind of bond with the other.

Weird and not optimal that she brought them over to your place. A cat expert would prefer not to do that, as you aren't getting to see the kitten when its relaxed. Totally normal that one of the kittens was hiding a bit, and tells you nothing about its eventual personality. You want to see them where they are being fostered -- that is where they will be themselves. Obviously different if they were found/rescued not long ago and aren't yet comfortable anywhere, but if they are being fostered, that is where they will be themselves.

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weird and not optimal that she brought them over to your place. A cat expert would prefer not to do that, as you aren't getting to see the kitten when its relaxed. Totally normal that one of the kittens was hiding a bit, and tells you nothing about its eventual personality. You want to see them where they are being fostered -- that is where they will be themselves. Obviously different if they were found/rescued not long ago and aren't yet comfortable anywhere, but if they are being fostered, that is where they will be themselves.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. But she's not a foster, per se. She runs her own rescue/shelter of sorts.

Erin's Angels Rescue

She traps stray animals and then gets them fixed up and adopts them out. She has several, several cats and kittens, and lots of dogs. But I suppose it might have been helpful to see them in their current environment. But she works, so all of the cats spend a lot of time in a tri-level ferret enclosure while she's gone, if I understand correctly.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, I had a brother and sister cat who accidentally mated and had kittens. So I would definitely get them fixed when they are old enough. I would adopt both cats, my boy cat loves having a sister. Plus it makes it easier on you because they entertain each other.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. But she's not a foster, per se. She runs her own rescue/shelter of sorts.

Erin's Angels Rescue

She traps stray animals and then gets them fixed up and adopts them out. She has several, several cats and kittens, and lots of dogs. But I suppose it might have been helpful to see them in their current environment. But she works, so all of the cats spend a lot of time in a tri-level ferret enclosure while she's gone, if I understand correctly.
Well, thats certainly admirable and there is nothing wrong with any of that. Just wanted you to know that the way the kittens initially behaved *in your house* is not necessarily a marker of their personality. Some amazing cats can take as much as a week to get over moving even though they are super-friendly at a foster or shelter. The fact that one snuggled on the couch and one was stressed therefore doesn't necessarily mean anything in the long run. The one that snuggled may have an easier transition, which is something, but I just don't know that you can project that to any life long traits such as "more confident" -- that would be a stretch since the other kittens behavior was normal. My main point is that if your picking one, there would be nothing wrong with picking the snuggler, but it would be silly to avoid picking two because the other was hiding.

jacoby75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, thats certainly admirable and there is nothing wrong with any of that. Just wanted you to know that the way the kittens initially behaved *in your house* is not necessarily a marker of their personality. Some amazing cats can take as much as a week to get over moving even though they are super-friendly at a foster or shelter. The fact that one snuggled on the couch and one was stressed therefore doesn't necessarily mean anything in the long run. The one that snuggled may have an easier transition, which is something, but I just don't know that you can project that to any life long traits such as "more confident" -- that would be a stretch since the other kittens behavior was normal. My main point is that if your picking one, there would be nothing wrong with picking the snuggler, but it would be silly to avoid picking two because the other was hiding.
Good stuff, thanks. We won't place too much emphasis on just the first visit when we make our decision.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have litter mates and they have never fought seriously. They DO bicker like siblings, but it's not serious at all. It reminds me of the 12 year old kid saying that HE can call his 6 year old brother a dork, but if anyone else does it he'll knock them into next Tuesday.
Brother/sister should be a good choice, opposite sexes IME have less competition between them.
The good thing about two is that kittens, when bored, over tired, etc., can be extremely cute/annoying and into everything. If your wife is home schooling, a bored kitten joining in the class setting might be funny once or twice but if there are two, they can keep themselves busy and engaged when people are busy yet still be entertaining =)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although there is no way of knowing if the two kittens will be "best buds" when they grow up, they do already know one another very well, and will, at least, co-exist well together. And really, with cats, that's a win. They will derive a lot of good just from having each other around, even if it doesn't look like much to you.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although there is no way of knowing if the two kittens will be "best buds" when they grow up, they do already know one another very well, and will, at least, co-exist well together. And really, with cats, that's a win. They will derive a lot of good just from having each other around, even if it doesn't look like much to you.
I don't think our litter mates are always best friends. But they do get along and the introduction thing never really happened as they were born in the same little box, so it's almost like they take one another for granted and that bond is there.

My only hesitation is thinking what will become of them should one litter mate pass away. Which is why it's really important to create an individual bond with each kitten so if the unthinkable should happen, they have other close bonds and people they're tight with so mourning is easier on them.