First Puppy With 6 Indoor Cats And A Soon To Be Momma

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi were getting a puppy in a few weks an apple head chi mixed with min pincher i was wondering how any of you guys introduced cats to a puppy :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Best of luck with your new puppy! :bluepaw: Here is a helpful Article that discusses introducing a cat to a dog: How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

Have you met the parents of the pup or are you adopting? You'll have to post a pic when you bring the new pup home. One thing I highly recommend is to give the cats an escape route or safe room and have a crate for the puppy. The key to introductions is time and patience.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having a great and crate training your puppy is a must. I crate train all my dogs, especially puppies. It means they have a safe space for overnight and when you're out in the beginning, so you know they aren't getting into trouble when you're not able to supervise. Never use the crate as a punishment - make it a positive, calm space for puppy to be. I do this by feeding them in theit crate, which creates a strong positive association from the off, and by having it as their nighttime bed. My guys all adore their crates, and will choose to go there when they want a nap or some peace, or when something has spooked them. Make sure to have puppy safe, comfortable bedding in there for them. Vetbed is ideal.

Be sure to have appropriate chew toys for puppy, to keep him from destroying other things. Rope chews are wonderful, as are things like Nylabone. I love Kong toys too, and use them as boredom breakers by stuffing them with a portion of puppy's food ration (wet food works best for this), sealing them with something extra yummy (e.g. peanut butter or meat paste), then popping them in a plastic baggie and freezing them. The resulting stuffed Kong takes puppy a long time to eat, and is a great way to occupy their mind for a while too. I use this trick especially when crating them before I go out, to keep them busy and as a distraction from/preventative for separation anxiety.

In terms of introductions, training is key. Research dog trainers in your area now, and sign up for puppy classes. The rules and boundaries you create now set the stage and expectations for behaviour throughout their life. You need to be clear and firm, but kind too. Clicker training is the best and most effective way to train in my opinion, and has the additional bonus of creating a strong bond between you and puppy.

Until training is established, never have cats and puppy loose together unattended. I'd go as far as to say don't have puppy off leash around the cats at all until vocal commands are established...or at least until puppy's attitude to the cats (and the cats' reactions) become clear. Far better to be cautiou now than to rush things and set yourself up with problems for the future. Especially for little dogs, the type of training leash that allows you to attach the puppy to you (such as the Halti training leash) is ideal. It has a clip at each end, and rings in a few different places along the leash allowing for a number of different configurations. It could also be a real help when you have the baby, as you'll be able to walk puppy with your hands free to push the pram ;)

As far as training goes, the most vital commands are a solid sit-stay, down-stay, recall, leave/no and heel. I also find watch/watch me invaluable as it's the quickest way to redirect puppy's attention and focus, which is hugely helpful in a wide range of situations, not least when/if he's debating chasing the cats.

I hope this is helpful and makes sense. I always work with the dog restrained and the cats free to move about. The other way around is generally disastrous. Make sure the cats have a clear escape route at all times, and also that they can get up out of puppy's reach, so they can observe from safety. Remember the cat's instinct is to climb to get away from dogs, so you always want to give them that option ;)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi were getting a puppy in a few weks an apple head chi mixed with min pincher i was wondering how any of you guys introduced cats to a puppy :)
Sounds like a cute puppy!!!
If your cats have claws, the puppy might learn what a good swipe means, it's important to keep the puppy from harassing the cats but important to remember puppies can be injured by a claw so keep things supervised. Most cats are very good about using their claws correctly, they can make a big impression without leaving a hair out of place on their "target" but make their point understood.
Let them meet and interact but (like you would for small children) intervene if things get a little to exciting for one party and the other acts uncomfortable.
I agree with crate training the puppy (not in order to make the puppy live there forever of course, but teach them how to accept confinement) and keeping areas baby-gated. If you have an older cat or a cat that isn't a good jumper, keep them separate for awhile if possible.
My cats are usually pretty annoyed when a puppy hits the scene, but after awhile curiosity takes it's toll. Rarely do we have problems!
I find it easier to control a dog or puppy (leash, etc.) than trying to physically control a cat or multiple cats, so I opt to keep puppies either crated, baby-gated into a safe room, or leashed to me. This keeps them from harassing the cats, and keeps them from chewing inappropriate things, or sneaking off to the guest room to pee on the rug without you noticing. Housebreaking happens QUICKLY this way if you're very diligent.