First Night At Home

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tonight I collected my feral 1 year old from the vet. This is an apartment complex feral kitty who "adopted" me - so I used to feed her twice a day outdoors with lightly microwaved wet food and kibble. I furnished her humane society-provided outdoor hut with a blanket and, on cold nights, 18 hour handwarmers in the blanket.

She "talks" with me, marks me and rolls for me, but must initiate touch. Just before Christmas it occurred to me the neighbors also would be gone for the holidays, so I captured the kitty using the stinky tuna and pillowcase technique and sent her to board and be cleaned up at the vet clinic next door. May she forgive me.

So worried she will not survive the transition to indoor life, although it will be going down to 14 degrees in a few days (here in the "deep South"). I brought her home to a large (36 x 24 x 27) metal dog crate in the dining area (I live in a 600 ft 1 bedroom apt) with a cozy cat bed, litter pan, water and food separated inside it. The crate is nearly completely covered with a brown blanket so she feels warm and safe. She is not eating or drinking and looks miserable.... She did not fight me when I moved her gently from the cat carrier to the kennel - she started by sitting in the round litter box, but then moved into the soft cat bed that I placed inside a cardboard box and covered with her own blanket. Her pupils are dilated.

I plan to let her rest for a good 24 hours, then open the kennel door to let her explore when I am home from work. Any advice?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Lrabbitt, welcome to TCS

Thank you for adopting this kitty. It’s just the first day she’s indoor and the place is new to her. She needs time to get use to the new surroundings.

It’s good that you’ve got the dog crate and have her food, water and litter box for her. Let her rest and keep her warm and comfortable for now and keep visiting her and keep your voice low and sweet when you talk to her.

She will eat when she’s hungry. Just make sure your bedroom have no escape route and when you are back, just open the crate’s door and see if she will come out. If she dosen’t, play with her using a cat wand or food or treats and lure out. If she still dosen’t come out, it’s ok, let her come out when she is ready to come out. Do not force or pull her out.

Once she’s used to the surroundings and you and her confidence has gone up knowing that there’s no threat, she’ll come out but leave the crate’s door open so that she can retreat back in and use it as her safe spot. Let her explore the place at her own time. You can leave some towels in the crate to absorb her scent and after a day or two, place the towels around the room so that the room will have her scents and also you can leave your clean unwashed clothings in the crate so that she can get used to your scents too.

Keep things slow and easy and don’t freak her out.

Keep us posted of the progress please.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. I keep my trapped kitties in a large crate for a a day or so and just feed and pet in there and keep the door closed with a blanket around it. After a couple days I uncover it by at least half and if she is really feral then I leave it like that and then uncover completely for a few days. I have no carpet so I like to leave it open after I know I can touch them without being hurt and just go from there. It takes typically weeks before my entire house is open to them as some get scared and potty in bad places. Just take it slow and her eyes are likely dililted bcz her blood pressure is up from not knowing where she is. She should calm down once she realizes she's safe and might never be a lap cat but that doesn' mean she won't be lovable! Thank u for helping her! I assume she's spayed now? If not get it done asap so she won' have a reason to run or get pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the good advice! Little Mouser is a TNR kitty so yes, fixed. Also, during her stay at the vet, she got all of her vaccines and was dewormed. Update: She ate, drank water and used her litter box overnight. I have the crate completely covered with a blanket except for a small space in the front so she can look out. She seems to remember me as "her" human, because she does not snarl or hiss when I futz around cleaning out her litter box and replacing food and water. I only left dry food and water until this morning - when I gave her a little warmed wet food she used to like. I will check on her during the lunch hour since work is only 10 minutes away. Tonight after work I will leave the kennel open and see what happens. It is sleeting this morning and by New Year's eve we may get snow so I am happy she is inside and safe... Thanks again and God bless you...

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Lrabbitt, welcome to TCS

Thank you for adopting this kitty. It’s just the first day she’s indoor and the place is new to her. She needs time to get use to the new surroundings.

It’s good that you’ve got the dog crate and have her food, water and litter box for her. Let her rest and keep her warm and comfortable for now and keep visiting her and keep your voice low and sweet when you talk to her.

She will eat when she’s hungry. Just make sure your bedroom have no escape route and when you are back, just open the crate’s door and see if she will come out. If she dosen’t, play with her using a cat wand or food or treats and lure out. If she still dosen’t come out, it’s ok, let her come out when she is ready to come out. Do not force or pull her out.

Once she’s used to the surroundings and you and her confidence has gone up knowing that there’s no threat, she’ll come out but leave the crate’s door open so that she can retreat back in and use it as her safe spot. Let her explore the place at her own time. You can leave some towels in the crate to absorb her scent and after a day or two, place the towels around the room so that the room will have her scents and also you can leave your clean unwashed clothings in the crate so that she can get used to your scents too.

Keep things slow and easy and don’t freak her out.

Keep us posted of the progress please.
Thank you! Little Mouser had a quiet night. It will just take time and love. I appreciate your advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing all the right things! Thank you! I'm betting she will turn into a wonderful loving indoor kitty. Just be careful opening your front door once she is out of the crate. :)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's coming around quickly! Yay! Just take it at a steady pace and don' hesitate to backtrack if u need to. 1 room will do for quite awhile until she's really ok with everything so keep up the good work and don't forget updates and pics!

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your support! Big progress tonight. I came home from work and opened the kennel. I put on Christmas music which she seemed to like. Finally I slightly microwaved a little wet food and put the bowl on a mat outside the kennel. She "talked" to me for the first time since coming home from the vet and came out of the kennel to eat and drink. Yay!!

But there are problems. She is having a poop disorder where she eats and then immediately has to poop. I can relate since I have IBS-D. So she ate a little then had the dirty squirties. I cleaned out her litter box and then she ate a little more and same result. So she retreated to her kitty bed in the kennel and looks depressed.

Last month, when I was tending to her Humane Society habitat outside (and putting in clean blanket), I also noticed loose stool in the straw at the time - unusual for a cat to poop near where they live and eat.

I have a call in to the vet who was supposed to take a stool sample.

Pictures of this precious Mouser soon - I have to upload from phone and also do not want to photo her while she is feeling ill. Any insights would be helpful. I don't know if it's just stress with her or a real intestinal problem.

May God bless you all and Happy New Year, Leslie

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for saving that sweet kitty! I'm sure you both will be much happier this way!

It happened with the wet food, right? Could it be an allergy or intolerance? When Scutch came in from our colony, I very quickly discovered the friskies did not agree with him. (All I can afford for my colony, not ideal but better than nothing) It gave him loose, very stinky poo. I've got him on special grain free food now. It took a little trial and error to find the right one, but he's much happier and healthier now. Sadly, it's hard to tell a lot of these things when they live outside.

Maybe try a little plain chicken baby food and see how her tummy is. If the kibble is fine, maybe compare ingredients to find the culprit. Good luck!

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for saving that sweet kitty! I'm sure you both will be much happier this way!

It happened with the wet food, right? Could it be an allergy or intolerance? When Scutch came in from our colony, I very quickly discovered the friskies did not agree with him. (All I can afford for my colony, not ideal but better than nothing) It gave him loose, very stinky poo. I've got him on special grain free food now. It took a little trial and error to find the right one, but he's much happier and healthier now. Sadly, it's hard to tell a lot of these things when they live outside.

Maybe try a little plain chicken baby food and see how her tummy is. If the kibble is fine, maybe compare ingredients to find the culprit. Good luck!
Yes she adores Friskies Pate and runs for it but then Loose Poops! What brand of "plain chicken baby food" do you mean? Would that be some kind of human baby food? The good news is she is not skinny or totally sick looking and in fact has gained weight. Pictures soon!

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, human chicken baby food (any brand. Gerber is what I've used) is often helpful when they don't eat well and are losing weight. It's not complete nutrition, but works in a pinch. It also makes a tasty snack. Very easy for them to eat and digest if they don't feel well.

Scutch still love the taste of friskies. He'll try to get at it when I set it up for the ferals, but I don't let him have it. He tries to eat it even though it messes with his tummy. The Fancy feast medleys is good for Judy (our part time kitty. She won't stay in full time like Scutch, but she stays in when it's cold/nasty out). Her tummy isn't as sensitive as Scutch's. Purina one is easy to find as well. Scutch adores their grain free kibble.

I'm glad she's doing so well. But learn from my mistake, you're probably gonna have to cut her food back a bit soon. Scutch got a bit chubby, cause he kept trying to eat like an outdoor kitty, but was living calmly and warmly inside. (He's still on a diet too, cats have to lose weight very slowly it's very unhealthy for them. Best to not let them get overweight.)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she been treated for worms and intestinal parasites? A round of metronidazole would likely cure her gastro-intestinal system.

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she been treated for worms and intestinal parasites? A round of metronidazole would likely cure her gastro-intestinal system.
I took a fecal sample to the vet this afternoon. He recommended giving her only grain-free, higher-end cat food until he can evaluate her situation. Thank you for your kind suggestion!! Happy New Year!

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, human chicken baby food (any brand. Gerber is what I've used) is often helpful when they don't eat well and are losing weight. It's not complete nutrition, but works in a pinch. It also makes a tasty snack. Very easy for them to eat and digest if they don't feel well.

Scutch still love the taste of friskies. He'll try to get at it when I set it up for the ferals, but I don't let him have it. He tries to eat it even though it messes with his tummy. The Fancy feast medleys is good for Judy (our part time kitty. She won't stay in full time like Scutch, but she stays in when it's cold/nasty out). Her tummy isn't as sensitive as Scutch's. Purina one is easy to find as well. Scutch adores their grain free kibble.

I'm glad she's doing so well. But learn from my mistake, you're probably gonna have to cut her food back a bit soon. Scutch got a bit chubby, cause he kept trying to eat like an outdoor kitty, but was living calmly and warmly inside. (He's still on a diet too, cats have to lose weight very slowly it's very unhealthy for them. Best to not let them get overweight.)
Thank you!! I got some grain-free, organic Purina high-end chicken and veggies cat food and she scarfed it down. She is not running to the cat pan immediately after eating - progress! Also, she is brighter in mood, leaving the kennel and showing playfulness and affection in a wild kind of way. I am letting her take the lead - she must initiate touch. Definite progress in the past 2 days.

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I took in a feral cat. She’s in the cage in a small room. Your story is encouraging. Not sure how I’ll ever get her to the vet. I have three of my own cats. She is TNR also, but needs a check up badly. Any advice on a vet trip? She’s still afraid of almost everything but me and right now she’s not happy with me!

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings and thank you for rescuing a feral that may have died of exposure! How wonderful that you got her inside. My little Mouser had been deemed "uncatchable" since her release back in the neighborhood from TNR. It took 3 months of planning to catch her (and many nights of tears, worry and frustration) in order to get her to the vet. I tried everything but scruffing - even enlisting a neighbor (we both failed). What ultimately worked (thank you to my vet's brilliant staffer, Barbara) early on a 25 degree morning was to lure Mouser to my apartment door with a can of THE STINKIEST wet catfood I could find. While she was chowing down, I took a pillowcase out of my jacket pocket and scooped her up in it, hindquarters first. I then lowered her hindquarters first into the cat carrier which I had standing on end and quickly secured its gate. Being in the pillowcase made Mouser very quiet. I got no scratches or bites.

At the vet, they had to use the "clamshell" to subdue her for 2 vaccines - which was very hard to watch. It's basically a metal frame shaped like a hinged clamshell and the sides are made of expandable net. It immobilizes the cat. Then she went into a cage with a towel that I had used so it had my scent on it. I boarded her there for 10 days in order to get her feeding and body heat regulated.

My take-aways from taking Mouser to the vet: (1) You just have to do it. The cat is not going to like it. The cat will still like you better than she likes the vet! (2) The pillowcase method works. Approach quickly, quietly and confidently from behind. Chance favors the prepared mind. (3) After the vet visit the feral may go on a "hunger strike". Be prepared. If she gets hungry enough she will eat and drink - most likely at night. (4) Give the kitty plenty of time to adjust - there is some great "cat music" on You Tube that may help her to relax and even integrate with your 3 other kitties.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice! I will be calling vet this week. It was difficult getting into the carrier to bring her inside today. But the pillow case is a great idea which I will use when I have to take her.

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings and thank you for rescuing a feral that may have died of exposure! How wonderful that you got her inside. My little Mouser had been deemed "uncatchable" since her release back in the neighborhood from TNR. It took 3 months of planning to catch her (and many nights of tears, worry and frustration) in order to get her to the vet. I tried everything but scruffing - even enlisting a neighbor (we both failed). What ultimately worked (thank you to my vet's brilliant staffer, Barbara) early on a 25 degree morning was to lure Mouser to my apartment door with a can of THE STINKIEST wet catfood I could find. While she was chowing down, I took a pillowcase out of my jacket pocket and scooped her up in it, hindquarters first. I then lowered her hindquarters first into the cat carrier which I had standing on end and quickly secured its gate. Being in the pillowcase made Mouser very quiet. I got no scratches or bites.

At the vet, they had to use the "clamshell" to subdue her for 2 vaccines - which was very hard to watch. It's basically a metal frame shaped like a hinged clamshell and the sides are made of expandable net. It immobilizes the cat. Then she went into a cage with a towel that I had used so it had my scent on it. I boarded her there for 10 days in order to get her feeding and body heat regulated.

My take-aways from taking Mouser to the vet: (1) You just have to do it. The cat is not going to like it. The cat will still like you better than she likes the vet! (2) The pillowcase method works. Approach quickly, quietly and confidently from behind. Chance favors the prepared mind. (3) After the vet visit the feral may go on a "hunger strike". Be prepared. If she gets hungry enough she will eat and drink - most likely at night. (4) Give the kitty plenty of time to adjust - there is some great "cat music" on You Tube that may help her to relax and even integrate with your 3 other kitties.

Good luck and keep me posted!
I have a vet appointment for Thursday! I’m very nervous about getting her in carrier again. I’ll try the pillow case . Do I just wrap it around her?