First Foster In Many Years - Please Help Me Remember A Few Things?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We live in SoCal, in a desert area, so daytime temps are mid-to-high 70s right now, 50-ish overnight. It's late in the year for such new kittens.

Son is a senior in high school, and the baby was found in a covered outdoor workshop area where theatre students store lumber and work on set construction. When he texted me, he said "stairs," but later I found out he meant a movable set piece that has four stairs and a banister. The kitten was in a very sheltered area, so I think the mother might have been moving the entire litter there since the second one was found in the same place some 8 hours later.

The kids found the first baby because it was crying. One of the girls picked the kitten up before DS could suggest waiting to see if mama came with more. I'm not sure we'll be able to get the mama or the rest of the litter now, as she's mostly disappeared. DS is leaving food and water in the workshop area hoping to draw her back.

The kitten's ears are starting to open today, btw. The diarrhea has cleared up, and I'm certain she's a girl, now. We put the faux mama kitty in with her this morning, though we've had the heartbeat ticker in her nesting box for a couple of days.

When we took the faux mama kitty out of the box, we left her on our kitchen counter. My orange cat got up there, sniffed the mama all over and gave her a thorough ear-washing. :D

Last edited:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's what I pictured, a high school like in 90210 with outdoor cafeteria tables. Sounds like the mom was trying to do the right thing; I hope they can be reunited. Any news on the siblings?

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The baby that's with a different family is doing well. They send pics from time to time. I know the two would be better off together, but they want to keep it. I did my first foster around the age this girl is, so I've made myself available to advise if she needs it.

The mama has been seen carrying at least one other baby, but she's retreated into a storm drain with bars over it. We don't know how many more babies she has, or where they are. If they're in the storm drain, they're out of earshot and out of reach. If we trap the mom, we'll never find the other babies. DS and the theater kids are keeping an eye on the likely hidey holes where a cat might go with babies, but other than that and leaving out food and water, we're kind of stymied.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's what I pictured, a high school like in 90210 with outdoor cafeteria tables. Sounds like the mom was trying to do the right thing; I hope they can be reunited. Any news on the siblings?
Wait, now I'm confused. Are you saying that there are schools that have indoor hallways and cafeteria tables? Our auditorium, gymnasium and classrooms were indoor, but that was it.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Michigan. Indoor hallways, indoor lockers and cafeteria, indoor pool and stairs, indoor gym. The only things that were outdoors were the track, football and baseball fields and the elementary playgrounds. :)

When I got to CA and saw exterior corridors and all, I was kind of gobsmacked. So weird!

Me: So you walk to your classes in the rain? Don't your books get wet when you get them out of your locker?

Other kids: What's rain? We carry our books in our backpacks. Doesn't everybody?

Last edited:

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More pics.

She looks like a brown tabby in the face, but a silver tabby on her sides and back. No toe tufts, but she's awfully fuzzy with a dense, plush coat. I'm adding a pic of the back of her head to show the fuzzy. Some of the fur is squiggly and super fine, like on my medium haired boy. If I touch her, the fur goes to the first joint in my finger.

Last edited:

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TimTam (new name) weighs around 9.5 - 10 oz today. She was squirmy in the scale, and it's analog, so 10 is a rough number.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TimTam is over 1 lb now and about 4.5 weeks old. She has entered the BITE ALL THE THINGS! stage. :D Well, all the things except wet food. Nope, not having any of it. She watches when the big kitties eat, and she gets interested when she sees me drinking coffee or DH eating a cheeseburger. Interested, but not enough to taste.

Pics! :)

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TimTam is approx. 6 weeks old now. She weighs 1 lb., 9 oz. She's been using the litter box for more than a week, and she finally understood that wet food was FOOD a few days ago.

She hasn't had shots yet, so it's time to get that started, plus we need to talk to the vet about having her spayed when she's old enough.

Pics. :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Wonderful to see her thriving. I love the watchful eyes in the background of the tassel photo.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's my big ginger boy, Dean. :) He gives her lots of licks, and plays ever so gently with her. He loves it when she takes off running because then he gets to chase. The only thing he doesn't like is when she tries to nuzzle in his fur. ;)

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is so cute! Are you keeping her? It seems she already has a feline friend in your house.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we're keeping her. :) She has two feline friends, actually. We also have a male flame point Siamese who also plays with her. Doesn't lick her, but will play with her and let her curl up next to him and nuzzle his fur.

We really weren't looking for a third cat, but this is why I so rarely foster. I would want to keep them all.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More pics! :) She's closing in on 7 weeks, and she's loose in the house for most of the day now. We still put her in the playpen (with food, toys, blankies and a snuggly, warm bed) overnight, but I imagine that will change in the next few days, too.

She's starting to get leggy.

Pretty pic in golden hour sun. We think her eyes will be green.

Nice markings.

And the obligatory Christmas tree shot.

Last edited: