First Foster In Many Years - Please Help Me Remember A Few Things?

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, all!

My son found a singleton kitten in a stairwell at school, so I'm fostering again after 20-odd years.

The kitten appears to be 7-10 days old. No umbilical, eyes were closed the day I picked him up, but opened within the first two days we had him. We had the vet check him out, and she says he's in great shape and weighs .345 lbs, or about 5.5 oz.

He's on KMR in the can, but we'll switch to the powder tomorrow. He eats half a tablespoon to a full tablespoon at each feeding, going by the markings on the bottle (it's possible those are oz, but the markings have rubbed off). The vet suggested thinning the formula by about 10-20% at first to prevent constipation as the kitten adjusts to the KMR.

The kitten is active and energetic (and loud!) when awake. He sleeps anywhere from 2-6 hours at a stretch. Normally, I would let a robust baby sleep until he wakes, but since I don't know how well fed this one was before we found him, I wake him for a feeding around the 6 hour mark if he sleeps that long.

I don't have a scale yet, but he is visibly bigger and stronger in the 2.5 days we've had him. He's bright-eyed, he purrs after a feeding, and today we saw a teensy bit of grooming behavior where he licked some of his fur.

We've made him a nesting box in a large cat carrier with the usual assortment of towels, small stuffies to snuggle and a hot water bottle rolled in a towel at one end. We have one of those faux mama kitties to put in with him, but she doesn't look very washable, so tonight I only gave him the heartbeat piece.

Here are my questions:

1. Poop - his stools started out yellowish-brown (burnt sienna, for the painters among you), tubular and pretty soft, almost like gel toothpaste. They've become looser and gloppier, so I could use some guidance on when it's considered diarrhea and when to head back to the vet. I've forgotten what normal one-week kitten poo looks like. :) The loose stool could certainly be from the change to the KMR, or it could be something like coccidia / parasites. I will give the KMR full strength at the next feeding and see what that does. It's not so loose that he soils his bedding, btw.
  2. Body temp - this one is hard to tell, but I think the kitten feels warmer against my hands over the last two feedings. Not hot, just warmer by maybe a degree or two. No change in behavior, still energetic and eating well. I can't tell if *I'm* warmer because we've closed the windows (I like a cold house, but it's not so great for babies), or if the kitten was maybe a little cold when we got him after being found outdoors on cement in 50 degree weather. He doesn't *act* feverish...
  3. Anyone want to weigh on on whether or to keep waking him if he sleeps for more than 6 hours?
Many thanks in advance!

Dia

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you should definitely wake up the kitten to feed! He should be fed every 2 hours around the clock right now. A scale will help. A powdered formula will help as well.

We'd love to see some photos. Thank you for taking this little one in!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get some goats milk, that would be awesome. If you can't get raw, then pasteurized is good. Walmart has it, so I'm assuming other grocery stores do also. Make the formula 1 part KMR and 3 parts goats milk. This will give it antibodies that it needs.
Also, make sure you have a heat source. A heating pad set on low wrapped in a towel is perfect. Or you can use a hot water bottle or rice sock.
Keep an eye on his poop. You are correct, it may have Coccidia or Giardia. In which case, you will need either Albon or Panacur for it. (but that's to be determined yet).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Good luck and yes, we want pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

:D

Thank you both for the tips and suggestions!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, how adorable. Thank you for saving it.
I will be interested to see those marks on it's head when it gets older. And how the ears mature. (I'm having a thought)

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks like a silver tabby to me, and the whorled kind rather than traditional stripes. If the mama is who we think, she's a short-hair tortie, but I'm not certain it's her. There's a feral kitty who lives near my son's school where the baby was found.

Oddly, however, I haven't found any fleas, so I'm hoping someone didn't dump an indoor kitty with a new litter. :(

A second kitten was found at the school about 10 hours later, but someone else has that one.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Called my vet re: loose stool and she's recommending a tiny dose of metronidazole. Opinions?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you can take the second kitten? It would be great for them to be together.

I personally think you can hold off on meds since the kitten is adjusting to your care and to formula. Watch to see if it gets better or worse over the next day or so.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, talkingpeanut. :)

Re: the second kitten - we've made overtures to the family who has it, so hopefully they'll let us have it.

Re: meds - the baby is so small that the order has to go through a compounding pharmacy, so it won't be ready until Monday anyway. We'll have some wait-and-see time, with the meds on reserve if we need them.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally found our old flea comb. Our cats* are indoor-only, so haven't had to deal with fleas in more than a decade after the house we moved into had them when we got there - YUCK! A few cursory swipes didn't turn up fleas or dirt, so baby might be flea-free. I'll try again at another feeding.

I swapped out the nipple that came with the pet store bottle for a Miracle Nipple, and wow - the kitten likes the new nipple MUCH better. The old one was directional and prone to vacuum-lock. If I didn't have the bottle rotated just right, nothing came out, and even if I did have it right, it would vacuum lock once or twice during each feeding and frustrate the heck out of the kitty.

My mom has a digital food scale she isn't using, so I'll pick that up today or tomorrow.

* a 9 yr old medium-furred cream tabby and a 4 yr old polydactyl flame point Siamese, both boys

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you get the other kitten?

If the metronidazole is too strong, you can use Albon. Infant kitten poop on formula should be like yellow soft serve ice cream.

Is he on the powdered formula now? It's excellent.

Can someone try to trap the mama kitty? She needs spaying but could nurse these two if she can be trapped. :)

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Sarthur2!

The other kitten is doing well with the other family. I'd prefer them to be together, but I can't force it.

He's on the powdered formula, now and seems to like it. He still doing great - active, good appetite, growing, purrs up a storm - except for loose stools.

We've contacted a rescue to try to trap the mama. She was seen carrying a third baby, so we know there are more and will be on the lookout.

Last edited:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a cutie! I am so glad that he is thriving! Good luck little guy!

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom brought her scale over, and kitty weighs a hair over 8 oz! She was 5.5 oz when we picked her up so she's done quite well. I think she's also starting to cut her first milk teeth. No clue how accurate Mom's scale is, or how well it aligns with the vet's, but I'll take it. :)

Note re: she/he - we're not sure yet, so if you notice me switching pronouns, it's how I think the wind is blowing at the moment.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she/he - we're not sure yet, so if you notice me switching pronouns, it's how I think the wind is blowing at the moment.
Let's see a picture of the area. Most of us will be able to tell you.

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will get one as soon as s/he lets me. ;)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you think the mama cat dropped the kitten in the stairway to be found? Is it an outdoor stairwell or do you live in a warm climate and have indoor/outdoor areas of school like I see in California TV shows? How old is your son who brought the cat home? Sounds like a very responsible young man. I used to dream about finding a kitten when I was a kid.