First Cat Owner And It's A Feral??

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is any little crack underneath the bathroom door, light from the other room will get in enough for her to see. Cats see a lot better in the dark than we do. If the bottom of the door is flush with the carpet, then I'd turn the light out. Leaving a bright light on all night might mess with her sense of "sunrise/sunset".

Looking forward to further updates on the health dept issue. Rabies is almost unheard of in the US anymore with cats and dogs. Hopefully they'll go easy.

She sure is cute!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pbjhan18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got another long post coming soon. Had some bonding time last night, though still no touching allowed.

One major concern right now. She hasn't gone to the bathroom in 2 days. No #1 Or #2.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not going pee is dangerous. Did you get the litterbox yet?

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats wont go potty if their facilities are in a spot they dont like if they dont feel comfortable they won't go if you havent gotten her a litter box and litter yet its very important that you do so right away most animals wont go potty in the area that they sleep so try and get the litterbox for her and see if that helps if it doesnt you may have to take her to the vet and i know you have been having trouble with the vets with the whole rabies thing but hopefully you can find one that wont be mean to you or that sweet little kitty. With her being feral she was use to going potty outside it may take a little bit to train her but not to long. Thats wonderful if you are getting bonding time she will be your best friend in no time just be patient and keep up the good work keep us posted. And thank you for being such an awesome person and taking her in your such a lifesaver for that cute bundle of fur

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh house is so cute! Congrats pn your fur baby! Ive caught and socialized. About 7 feral these last 6 months. Its time consuming and very rewarding! Luckily house looks young. The younger they are the easier! My boys took a good two weeks before they became big love bugs and stopped hiding under the couch. My current rescue is tougher shes coming along though. It took her 3 days before she'd poop. Shed pee in little incriments as to not leave a trail/ puddle in the box. Its an instinctual thing from thinking humans as a threat. If she is going to the bathroom outside the box the best thing to do is create a kitten safe room such as the bathroom because there is very limited areas to go to the bathroom there. If you have any questions or need help please feel free to message me!
And if you do have to take her to the vet ( maybe constipation due to diet change) my vet recomended pumpkin baby food for one of my ferals!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Battery operated light for the night light?

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got another long post coming soon. Had some bonding time last night, though still no touching allowed.

One major concern right now. She hasn't gone to the bathroom in 2 days. No #1 Or #2.
OH no! what's the update? Is House OK? Will the county health department let her live?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard from you in a while. Please update. I hope House is okay!

pbjhan18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I apologize for a long and unexpected absence from here.

Since we're a new plant, we must go through quality audits before we receive the approval for mass production. These past 2~3 weeks were extremely busy for me and my co-workers. I had to work 2 or 3 weekends straight and didn't have any time for rest. I got about 8.5 hrs of sleep last night and I was still dead tired because my body is exhausted and just a good night's sleep isn't good enough anymore to replenish it. Thankfully, the QA is over as of this week, so I'll be returning to my normal 40 hr work weeks. And yes, we passed the QA!

I guess you guys must have already realized by now but I'm still alive. And as a matter of fact, so is House. She(confirmed through visual inspection) has warmed up to me quite well. I want to laugh at the vet that told me she will never be like a house cat that sits on your lap. She purrs like crazy and loves to be touched. She even lets me pick her up and relocate her. She spends a lot of her time on my bed, close to me. One thing I realized is that she doesn't like getting touched on her belly. Also, her scratches, no matter how light, stings, haha.

I have a lot of photos and videos on my phone. I have to get off since I'll be waking up tomorrow at 6 but wanted to give you guys a brief update. I will upload all those videos onto my youtube page later on and share it on here!

Also, I'm thinking of picking up another kitten to be House's playmate. Is this a good idea seeing as how House hasn't fully transformed into a loving house-cat yet and still shows slight signs of fear? I think I read somewhere that letting ferals be with other cats is not a good idea during the taming process. However, I'm not confident if this is actually something I read and not something I've thought up.

Lastly, I've received my first 6 shots of rabies vaccination. The first visit was 4 shots followed by 2 shots each visit afterward. I have one last visit left and I'll be done going to the hospital. My company district manager asked me if I knew my hospital bill was $13k. Haha. It's not like they pay the actual price since they'll be going through their insurance!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. So glad to hear that both you and House are still alive! That's wonderful that you can now pet and cuddle her. Yes, we would love to see pictures and videos of her when you have time. I guess it's safe to say that she didn't have rabies, since you are both still alive. Yes, I think it would be great if she could have a playmate. But do you have a room that you could put a gate on to introduce them?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news! You’ll have to tell House she owes you 13 k!

Of course I try that vet bill stuff with mine and all I get is a blank stare! Kind of “ you know I’m worth it, now keep scratching “!

A playmate would be great and with your work schedule might take some of the “parenting “ load off you for a while.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! So happy to see an update glad you both are well! I've rescued many ferals in personal experience ive had better luck with other tame house cats around. All my cats are walmart rescues that were left or caught
Right now 4 are mine, plus then we have boots whos 6 to 7 months old and bear 3 to 4 months. They are our current taming residents. Boots has warmed up to us more by seeing other cats interactions with us. He sees them follow me so he joins. Even lets me pet his butt while he eats now. Every situation is different but it will never hurt to try :) best of luck!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I apologize for a long and unexpected absence from here.

Since we're a new plant, we must go through quality audits before we receive the approval for mass production. These past 2~3 weeks were extremely busy for me and my co-workers. I had to work 2 or 3 weekends straight and didn't have any time for rest. I got about 8.5 hrs of sleep last night and I was still dead tired because my body is exhausted and just a good night's sleep isn't good enough anymore to replenish it. Thankfully, the QA is over as of this week, so I'll be returning to my normal 40 hr work weeks. And yes, we passed the QA!

I guess you guys must have already realized by now but I'm still alive. And as a matter of fact, so is House. She(confirmed through visual inspection) has warmed up to me quite well. I want to laugh at the vet that told me she will never be like a house cat that sits on your lap. She purrs like crazy and loves to be touched. She even lets me pick her up and relocate her. She spends a lot of her time on my bed, close to me. One thing I realized is that she doesn't like getting touched on her belly. Also, her scratches, no matter how light, stings, haha.

I have a lot of photos and videos on my phone. I have to get off since I'll be waking up tomorrow at 6 but wanted to give you guys a brief update. I will upload all those videos onto my youtube page later on and share it on here!

Also, I'm thinking of picking up another kitten to be House's playmate. Is this a good idea seeing as how House hasn't fully transformed into a loving house-cat yet and still shows slight signs of fear? I think I read somewhere that letting ferals be with other cats is not a good idea during the taming process. However, I'm not confident if this is actually something I read and not something I've thought up.

Lastly, I've received my first 6 shots of rabies vaccination. The first visit was 4 shots followed by 2 shots each visit afterward. I have one last visit left and I'll be done going to the hospital. My company district manager asked me if I knew my hospital bill was $13k. Haha. It's not like they pay the actual price since they'll be going through their insurance!
OMG I am SO glad everything is okay. I was imagining the worst. You are a great Daddy to House. Let us know more when you get a chance. =)

pbjhan18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the support everyone! I can't tell of house is bullying the new kitten or playing with her. He is a third of house's size. I'd like to think they are playing. However, sometimes, the playing seems a little too rough for the baby.

I don't even have a name for him yet. He is a 75% bengal kitten that I paid 550 for. Dad is a pure bengal and mom is a bengal/siamese mix.
20180224_231829.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's cute! How did you happen to get a Bengal? Is House happy to have a friend to play with?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just now saw the updates starting last Thursday. Congratulations on House becoming more friendly with time, and on the new kitten! House may appear to be too rough with the kitten, but as long as there is no blood or fur flying, House is just teaching the kitten some "cat manners". That will help the kitten learn bite inhibition, as in what is ok and what is too hard.

So now you have a $13,000 cat and a $550 cat. :p Both are absolutely priceless! :dizzycat: