Firm Lump On Side Of Cat's Neck - Dying Of Worry! Help?

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I was cutting some hair clumps off one of our two cats (around 11 years old), as he's on the bigger side and clumps up pretty often. As I was running my hands over him searching for more, I noticed he has a firm lump on the side of his neck, near the cheek area. Feels like a small to medium size marble. I could only really find it when he turns his head in the opposite direction. When he's looking straight forward, it's not as easy to feel. I don't really SEE a bump (they have longish fur, although not super long). I tried parting the fur a little to see if I could find any redness, but I didn't see anything unusual, and he got tired of me poking around after a while! It doesn't seem to be sore or anything at all. He was purring on and off, since I had been brushing him too. Didn't flinch or meow at all.

We have a vet appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I am, of course, agonizing over how this MUST be cancer and he's 100% dying. There's been no change in behavior. Eating and drinking normally, wrestling with his brother, etc.

My concern is that it's firm. It seems like most sites that talk about masses/lumps that AREN'T worrisome are supposed to be soft/movable.

Any thoughts?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be several things, a harmless fatty lump, the start of am abscess. Its good that you are taking him to the vet tomorrow to have him checked out. Try not to worry, its good that he is not bothered by you touching it and that he is eating. Please let us know what the vet says

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing that came to my mind when I read that you can feel a lump on his cheek when he turns his head the other way and feels like marble is that it's the edge of the jawbone, like the one you can feel on yourself under your ear.
Have you tried and see the other side of your cat's head?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first thing that came to my mind when I read that you can feel a lump on his cheek when he turns his head the other way and feels like marble is that it's the edge of the jawbone, like the one you can feel on yourself under your ear.
I did, actually! I even poked around at my other cat, much to his annoyance. Didn't feel anything. It's his neck, beneath the cheek area.

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fatty lumps are usually softer, aren't they? I thought I read they should be more squishy/movable beneath the skin.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

SORRY, double posting due to a network issue.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say you have an appointment tomorrow. Take a deep breath and relax.
Gather as much information as possible on your cat and then focus on what your vet will tell you tomorrow. Ask him questions, don't be afraid to listen to answers you wouldn't like to listen.
Then come back here and report everything to us :)
I'm sure everything is fine.

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd be so less worried if the lump didn't feel so hard. Of course everything I googled said that likely meant it was a more serious issue. Guess we'll find out tomorrow... Or maybe not, depending on what tests they run.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a retired registered nurse, and went through the same thing. Except on ME! A hard non movable lump on the side of my neck under my jaw bone. It turned out to be a lymph node! I too thought I was dying. There are so many things it could be, it could be a benign tumor, or a hundred other things. I know it is so hard not to think the worse, but don't get overly excited until you find out for sure. If it is that contained, even if it is cancerous it may be able to be removed with surgery.
I'll pray for your little boy, keep us posted!

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not happy. Vet took vitals (all normal) and didn't seem overly concerned, said it was typical for older cats to get a little lumpy. But they were unable to get a blood sample or anything because he was so upset and wouldn't stay on his back for the bloodwork. So they want him back again in a few weeks. Not sure what would change in a few weeks time. He'll still be screaming bloody murder and terrified of the vet... So zero answers.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they just do a physical exam? If you have to wait weeks longer I would try another vet, if anything just to ease your worry.

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure what to do. Both cats have always hated the vet to the extreme (one starts peeing in the office), but it's gotten worse as they age. And this one is the BETTER of the two! It causes such incredible stress and I don't think the vet wants to sedate them or anything since they're 11/12 now. Still act like kittens, but they're getting up there...

Sadly we don't live in a big city that may have numerous mobile vets to choose from. There is one about an hour away who may come out. Gonna contact her this week.

I mean, she didn't seem concerned, but at the same time, I'm not sure what that's worth.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try getting spray Feliway and spray the inside of the carrier half an hour before putting your cat in, it is supposed to help although I have not tried it myself. One of my old cats had a hard lump by the side of his front leg and like you I was worried sick. My vet said it was a fatty lump,put a syringe into it and no liquid came out which he said confirmed it. He also said that older animals ofter get fatty lumps. I hope you can get the answer you need next week. Good luck.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was felt by the vet and he didn't want to remove it, it most likely is a benign tumor that many older cats get. My Burt had two on his back that even leaked fluid once in a while, he developed these at ten or eleven and lived to seventeen.

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bit worried, as yesterday evening we noticed he's limping slightly. He's favoring one of his rear legs. Putting weight on it - no dragging of the limb or anything horribly severe, but there's a definite limp. Seems happy, otherwise. Purring, batting at some toys, and at one point he ran when the treat container was shaken. He ran for a treat again this morning, and he did go potty last night in his litter box (we dragged one upstairs after seeing him limp). Poked and prodded at his paws and legs and couldn't find an obvious issue. No hissing. Just a swat when he finally decided that was enough. He's never been fond of his legs being touched, like most cats. He did puke up a hairball. Unfortunately, both our cats have been pukey their whole lives.

Could all be a coincidence. Both him and his brother like to run around like they're kittens, and frequently wrestle. I know they're using their teeth and claws while doing so, since they leave tumbleweeds of hair around the house after each session. They also jump up on places they're not supposed to, including the stair banister I'm hoping he just had a funny landing or something. If it doesn't improve by tomorrow, back into the vet he goes. Hate doing that, though. I feel like it's gonna give him a heart attack.

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should mention, he DID have one or two shots at his last visit (vaccines - gotta double check what they were though), but I would assume the limp couldn't be related to that? It's been like 25 days...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just keep an eye on him. If it continues or gets worse, I would take him back to the vets. Most of my cats have had limps over the years caused by aggressive playing, jumping and landing awkwardly but have been fine after a few days.

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He certainly was being feisty last night. Trying to crawl all over the cat stand we put on its side to keep him from jumping, wanting to jump up on the couch and bed, playing with toys, even trying to wrestle with his brother at one point, which I quickly stopped. And he came to the door to greet me as usual when I got home, and ran for his treats again. He certainly seems normal, but that limp is present. Not severe, but obviously present.

Our vet isn't the best in my honest opinion. She ALWAYS wants us to come in ASAP, unlike other vets I've seen who tell people to hold off and monitor based on the issue they're reporting, etc. She also charges way more than many other vets, but unfortunately she's our only option in this area.

We do have an appointment made for today, but I'm debating canceling and just watching and waiting through maybe the weekend? I dunno. Feeling torn here. If he were acting oddly or not putting any weight on the limb, that'd be a different matter. But I also hate leaving him when he may be in pain.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is running, jumping, eating and acting normal I wouldn't be too concerned. Is he paying a lot of attention to it like washing it or worrying it?

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was grooming a fair amount last night, and I was watching and wondering if he was spending more time than usual on his lower back/legs. Sometimes he has trouble twisting around to get his back, because he is a touch overweight (though thankfully not to an extreme - his vet just said he could stand to lose a few). But then he moved on to his front legs and chest, so... ??? I don't *think* so. He's not obsessively trying to groom a lower leg every ten minutes or anything...