Fip

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son and his wife adopted a 2 year old cat about 9 months ago. 6 months ago we brought our 1 year old cat to their house for a play date. They really didn’t interact much—my very gregarious cat acted shy. About a month ago his cat started having bloody diarrhea. After multiple vet visits she was diagnosed with intestinal cancer, had surgery and was put to sleep as it was advanced. Now comes the biopsy results—she had FIP. Should I worry? Should I have titers done?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Almost ALL cats carry the coronavirus, which is what mutates into FIP. We're talking about between 50% in single-cat homes, and 90% in multi-cat homes. Almost NONE of them actually contract FIP. It is very possible that your cat carries the virus already. There is nothing that can affect the mutation. No treatment. I'd just relax and enjoy my cat. The chances of him contracting FIP are small, and after his next birthday become even smaller. It is VERY rare for a cat over two years old to develop FIP.

Please tell your son and his wife that I am SO sorry for their loss!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Daphne was their first pet. They are moving to a new house today, once settled they will rescue another cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just to let you know, apparently my first cat, Tawny, had corona virus (never confirmed) that mutated into (wet) FIP. But, he was 15+ when that happened, and probably had other undiagnosed issues that might have caused his immune system to be weakened enough to allow the virus to mutate to FIP. He had a very healthy life before FIP.

As said above, kittens are most susceptible to having corona virus mutate because their immune systems haven't completely developed, and it is rarely mutated once they hit 2 or 3 years old. Then, it can show up in their later years.

But, there are a lot more cases of it never mutating at all!!

Bless them for planning on taking in another cat once they are settled!