FIP, When should i put my kitty to sleep?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bossinova

Hopper, I am so sorry to hear this news! I agree 100% with LDG....it wouldn't hurt, and then you can feel completely at peace when the time comes that you did absolutely everything in your power for your little guy. Tank had FIP, but his story is much, much different than Kegan's. He stopped eating, then drinking, then began drinking on his own (we gave him subcue fluids at home, but he never did resume eating
), and THEN he developed the fluid in his belly. It came on suddenly and agressively. I can assure you that you will know in your heart when it is time to let him cross. He will let you know. Please do consider still getting a second opinion. As I said, my Tanker saw three different vets. I knew I could not have done anything more for him. FIP is a slippery disease to actually nail down...I realize that you see two of the most common signs of it, but that does not by any means guarantee that this is what your little man is suffering from. Please keep us posted on your decisions.
Thank you everyone who responded. I have to believe that every thing i have read, hours and hours on the internet, 2 vets who i respect, I have to believe that it is what it is and seeking yet another opinion from everything i've learned is not going to change it.

I would like to know, regarding Tank, after his tummy filled with fluid, exactly what happened to him, step by step, I don't want my sweet baby Kegan to suffer.

cyberpaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Hopper,

I am new to the boards but wanted to respond to you. I lost two unrelated kittens to FIP. The first in February, the second one, the beginning of May.

FIP is a terrible disease. Like you, we had no idea what was going on with our kittens. Even our vet was stumped. Both of my kittens tested negative for FIP on the Antech 7b test. So much for that.

Our first kitten showed signs of lethargy - not eating or playing. I never noticed a swollen belly at all. We thought she had liver disease. The vet extracted bright yellow fluid from her. She became so weak and sick so quickly. We had to put this poor baby to sleep.

The second kitten played constantly but we noticed he rapidly lost a lot of weight. It seemed very sudden to us. We pay a lot of attention to our cats, and Deebers was a major lap cat. He seemed fine except for the weight loss. We took him to the vet, the did bloodwork and told us he was anemic. I know there was something more serious wrong. He seemed buggy - spacey and strange. He was not acting right at all. As the days went by he got worse and worse amazingly fast. He stopped eating and lost mobility in his hind legs. He had a fever. I syringe fed him and gave him supplements and researched and researched and I would have done anything to help him. The fluid built up very quickly in his lungs and tummy and I woke up one morning to find him laying down and having trouble breathing. I will never forget the look in this poor babies eyes. It still haunts me. My husband and I took him to the vet and had him put to sleep. We just could not let him suffer anymore.

My heart goes out to you and I know all too well what you are feeling. It is, without a doubt, just terrible in every sense of the word. Please know that you are not to blame, there is nothing you can do. Do not be afraid to cry. Love Kegan as much as you can, and if and when he gets to that point, you will know and you will have to let him go. I know how hard it is. Our babies were only 6 months old.

I still live in fear, as I have 8 household cats. We will never be the same.

We can only hope that someday we will know more about FIP, hopefully there will be a cure, and an accurate test.

You are in my thoughts,

Hugs,
Carrie

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyday Kegan's stomach gets bigger and bigger. He's only about 7 months old, the cutest black and white bicolor persian, with a little doll face and black nose. So, so sweet.

It's getting harder and harder for him to walk around, his stomach is SO swollen. I think he's having problems grooming himself as well. He still loves to eat, and beg for all foods. It's so sad this is happening, I'm still hoping for a miracle, but everyday none appears.

I'm over the shock of Taffy dying, but it's been tough. One day I'm fine, the next day the thoughts of her are overwhelming and I am overcome with grief. Still can't believe I only had 5 months with her.

I e-mailed the girl that heads the rescue group for persians in San Antonio today, insisting that she report the breeder to the authority and that there's FIP there. The thought that other kitties may have this disease bothers me greatly. As we all know, not all cat owners are like the great people who are on this site, taking the best care possible of their kitties. Since Kegan was in her home for 2 months, and she had 29 other cats, it's a scary thought. They believe one way this is transmitted is through the litter box.

I love my little Kegan.

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CS_Hopper

Everyday Kegan's stomach gets bigger and bigger. He's only about 7 months old, the cutest black and white bicolor persian, with a little doll face and black nose. So, so sweet.

It's getting harder and harder for him to walk around, his stomach is SO swollen. I think he's having problems grooming himself as well. He still loves to eat, and beg for all foods. It's so sad this is happening, I'm still hoping for a miracle, but everyday none appears.

I'm over the shock of Taffy dying, but it's been tough. One day I'm fine, the next day the thoughts of her are overwhelming and I am overcome with grief. Still can't believe I only had 5 months with her.

I e-mailed the girl that heads the rescue group for persians in San Antonio today, insisting that she report the breeder to the authority and that there's FIP there. The thought that other kitties may have this disease bothers me greatly. As we all know, not all cat owners are like the great people who are on this site, taking the best care possible of their kitties. Since Kegan was in her home for 2 months, and she had 29 other cats, it's a scary thought. They believe one way this is transmitted is through the litter box.

I love my little Kegan.
kEGAN has such a will to Live. I need advice from anyone who knows anything about FIP. Kegan's stomach is getting too large for words. Does anyone know or has had any experience with this? My vet said draining the stomach can lead to an infection, now another vet says he could go on a direcutic (spelling probably wrong), or drain the stomach. Does this matter, i.e. will the fluid just come back, do i leave it alone, and let nature take it's course, NO ONE seems to know these answers, I hope maybe a VET reads these posts who know about FIP, (the illusive disease that no one seems to know about).

P.S. Thank you, this is a little 7 month old kitten who hasn't had a chance to live a full life. I want him to get old with me.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopper, I am sorry we don't yet have a vet that reads the board all the time. You have to go by the quality of life for your cat at the moment- and go by what your vet guides you to do. Even if there was a vet here, they would not diagnose your cat over the internet, it just isn't done that way. You are the one who is dealing with this along with your cat, if you think it is time, if the spark of life has left Keagan's eyes, and he is not enjoying life, then it is time. If he is still enjoying his time in this world, then it is not time, but no one can accurately make this determination but you and your vet.

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

kEGAN has such a will to Live. I need advice from anyone who knows anything about FIP. Kegan's stomach is getting too large for words. Does anyone know or has had any experience with this? My vet said draining the stomach can lead to an infection, now another vet says he could go on a direcutic (spelling probably wrong), or drain the stomach. Does this matter, i.e. will the fluid just come back, do i leave it alone, and let nature take it's course, NO ONE seems to know these answers, I hope maybe a VET reads these posts who know about FIP, (the illusive disease that no one seems to know about).

P.S. Thank you, this is a little 7 month old kitten who hasn't had a chance to live a full life. I want him to get old with me.
PLEASE HELP KEGAN.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

PLEASE HELP KEGAN.
Please bear with me here.

FIP is something that is highly contagious.
FIP is a disorder that is very fatal.

Wet FIP is a very nasty form of the disorder, it's more aggressive, and more debilitating.

From my experience, Draining is a very short term solution, and will only prolong suffering.

The ultimate answer to FIP is euthanasia.

I wish I had better news, or a more hopeful outlook for Kegan.

The longer he stays alive, the more advanced the disorder will get, and the more contaminated the environment will get. FIP is something that can survive outside an infected cat for a while.

Personally, I would suggest consulting with your vet one more time, just to make absolutely sure that it is FIP. And then plan on euthanizing as soon as you can stand it.

I don't expect he will improve any, instead he will continue to get worse.

This is something that I would never wish on anyone.

I'm so sorry, to hear this heartbreaking news

Please keep us posted, and remember that we are always here for one another.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Kegan.

Spotz

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As cat-tech has already told you there is nothing anyone on this board can do to save your kitten. YOU are the determining factor. I understand you are a bit put off by cat-tech and what she said, but I would want her in my corner if my cat were seriously ill or if I suspected that cat was. She has helped me in the past to take the right path in how to care for a seriously ill cat- arming me with knowledge to be able to talk to my vet about options.

I urge you to read her advice yet again in this thread, and follow what she says. Don't look for any of us layman to offer you a cure here, it just won't happen. Of all of us, Traci is the most in the know-

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm not looking for anyone on the board to save Kegan. I already know what the outcome for FIP is. Just wanted for others to share any info they had on fluid retention. I'm just trying everything I can, and not just the vets here in Houston, but from readers from around the world, that could possibly know something that we do not. I've had posts from people in the U.K. Germany, Norway, and they perhaps have information that we do not have here in the U.S.

I thought this site was not only for comfort, but for sharing personal experiences and/or knowledge. My postings about Kegan are for those reasons, nothing else.

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not so well, the stomach is getting huge, he can't clean himself now. We have to decide what to do, will talk to the vets tomorrow about draining his stomach, however, if it's not recommended, then i guess it's on to plan B, which is to let him go. It's really tough as we have grown so fond of him, he has quite the personality, watches us constantly and if you talk to him he always meows back.

Very, very sad situation.

hobbes55320

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old napleon kitty was diagnosed with FIP 2 days ago.  He has abdominal ascites but is otherwise doing ok.  He's not as active as he used to be but still has a great appetite and follows us around.  The vet said we shouldn't worry about euthanizing him until he deteriorates.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  This is so difficult for my family and me.  He's so lovable.  He doesn't seem to be any discomfort.  I'm at a total and complete loss.  Thanks!

jiskefet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally posted by CS Hopper
I'm waiting to hear, what i know, will be a death sentence to this little guy, the guy who still meows and gets excited when i open a can of cat food

I absolutely DREAD having to take Kegan into the vet and have him put to sleep, I can't even think about putting him into his carrier for the last time, with that little trusting face that so wants to live . . . . . .It's not fair. . . .and i have to somehow figure out how i'm going to be able to do this and then, after doing it, not totally humiliate myself at the vet's office.
I don't understand why you can't wait a little longer. If he still wants to live then let him live! From what I have read in your post, it sounds like Kegan's quality of life is still high, he's still doing typical cat things, and he's happy, so please don't put him down right now. Hissy is one of the most knowledgeable members on this board, so please go back and read the second paragraph in her post, and also talk to your vet about what is the best thing to do for Kegan at this time.
I fully agree.

I lost my Gaudi to FIP at 10 months old. but we waited until HE was ready to leave this world. As long as he clearly wanted to live, we gave him whatever time he had left, however heartbreaking this was for us. HE didn't want to leave us just yet, so I felt we had no right to deny him his last few days of happiness and love.

On his last day, he had a great big cuddle session with us, ate his favourite treat, and then sought a quiet place to die.

That is when we called the vet and PTS. When HE gave up, when HE had said his final goodbyes........ not before.

It was Gaudi's choice, his decision to make.

butterflycme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a neutered male that I rescued as a kitten and he went with me to Colorado and was an inside and outside cat and we moved back to Texas and he's been outside since 2010 and about 4 months I was getting him to get his rabies shot and saw his big belly. He has been enclosed with my 9 other kitties before and they have no symptoms of fit which he does. He has the yellow fluid and the vet just said keep him comfy till his final days his belly has swole up then went down a little and now it's back up.we keep him in a kennel over nite because he peed the bed. We let him out he struggles to climb on the bed but he likes to just snuggle with me and he wants to eat everything he has jumped down on his own but I know it probably hurts. I too don't want to put him to sleep yet because he's still so active but I pledge if he won't eat or move anymore I will say my goodbyes this is a devastating disease and wish no one has to deal with it. And what I read and the vet said is when the virus has mutated to fip it's not contagious anymore I believe he got this outside from strays or wild animals because my other cats show no signs I also have a cat with a fractured hip I have been nursing to health she is much better now walking and jumping vet care cost more than people care wish I could add them to my insurance so many people give up or abandon pets because they can't afford the bills

jennifer davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a rabbit (who can get FIP by the way) who had a swollen abdomen. It was like picking up a water bottle. We had her spayed and came to find out her uterus was seriously filled up with fluid. No cause, it just happened. She is still with us and going strong at 12 years old. (I know ancient in rabbit years). I do have cats with FIP and they are given a med every other day to prolong progression of this disease. My suggestion to you is if you cat is not spayed or neutered please do so. If he/she is then I'm not sure what to tell you.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Spaying/neutering doesn't have an affect on FIP. I'm actually not sure many vets would do the surgery on a cat known to have FIP since their bodies are so fragile (and stress often increases symptoms.)

Jennifer Davis, how many of your cats have FIP? Are they all litter mates? FIP is not a common illness at all. Are they on Polyprenyl Immunostimulant??

We currently have 1 cat in our rescue with a FIP diagnosis. Her litter mates (luckily) show no signs of the disease, though they DO have IBD to varying degrees (this was a VERY sick group of kittens.) Our rescue, luckily has only lost 1 other cat to this illness; and I, myself, have lost 1 when he was 3.

Last edited:

maysa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopper, please check your PM. ............Traci

Not so well, the stomach is getting huge, he can't clean himself now. We have to decide what to do, will talk to the vets tomorrow about draining his stomach, however, if it's not recommended, then i guess it's on to plan B, which is to let him go. It's really tough as we have grown so fond of him, he has quite the personality, watches us constantly and if you talk to him he always meows back.

Very, very sad situation.

Guys i know i am 10 years late, but i really wanna know the updates , plzzz

shox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like the phrase ' . Do whatever it is needs to be done for her, don't do it for you.'

We are very emotional about the whole thing and we are  trying our best to fight  for our love one.

shox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
l am now undergoing the same agony of the other  owner of a FIP infected cat. The vet just informed me 3 days ago. My cat  of 8 years old has not been eating well for the last few weeks. Wen he refused the canned food which  his  favourite then something is wrong he only lick the liquid of the canned food and did not eat the solid particles. on 28th  of Aug the junior vet told he is suffering from diarrhea but he did not have diarrhea at home.  The condition getting worse as he refused to eat anything and even milk his all time favourite he just lick a few times and stop. he is not having any diarrhea. Went to a 2nd vet for 2nd opinion and he asked me to go for a FIP test to confirm as the cat is loosing weight and having a bit of jaundice.

Met a senior vet  and he gave a visual check. He said  from the physical examination he confirmed that the cat is FIP infected as the external conditions is quite similar to symptoms of a FIP. The andomen is slightly baggy and he said the syringe will produce yellowish protein color liquid and oily.  It is true when he drawn the liquid from the abdomen and he said no need to further test needed as these are the symptoms of FIP.  I was devastated on this news. He gave an estimated lifespan of 3 weeks to a month at the most and suggested to me to put my cat to sleep.

As of today 10 September 2015 . the my cat refuse to eat or drink  anything  even his fav milk. He just stared and smell at the milk maybe a lick or two.

The stomach is slightly baggier and l am feeding him milk orally from time to time. He walk around a  little and took a rest under the sink in the toilet. Twice a day l took him to his  litter and waited for him to finish urinate then took him back into the house. He seems to enjoy a short brisk walk on the grass in the evening sun. I feed him with the multivit and supplementary feeding in the paste form and fresh milk to give him some energy. Now l am deciding when to put him to sleep as it is very heavy in my heart to  do that at this moment. I told myself so long as he still can look at me when l called his name l will try  to extend  his not so quality life. In my family member l am the closest to him. When l came back from work he refused to do anything else than to give me a massage  for a about 10 minutes before going on what he like doing .

Now he spend most of the time sleeping. Should l go and make one final test to confirm that he had FIP before putting him to sleep.  When at home l spend most of my time cuddling him and patting his head.

A post by hissy " I would go with the quality of life your cat is experiencing and let her tell her if it is time to make that decision. If she is eating, drinking, playing, if she has light in her eyes then allow her to be with you and hope for the best. If she is lethargic and so ill she can't even make it to the litter pan, stops eating and drinking, then end her pain. Do whatever it is needs to be done for her, don't do it for you."

I will take a que from these para.

We hate to be in this group  writing accounting our experience in FIP.