Fip Multicat Household

Aixmeinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, I am coming back to this forum to discuss one of the felines in my household. I have 5 indoor and 1 (feral) outdoor. (Long post ahead)

About a year or so ago, our cat Gizmo started developing a pot belly. Thinking it was worms, we quickly dewormed him and continued to do so over the course of a few months. His conditioned worsened and I pleaded with my mother to go to the vet. (I could not take him on my own)
Now, after almost a year of pleading with her, we think it may be FIP. I know there is no definitive way of knowing and he goes to the vet on Friday. I know that even there it will be hard to get a 100% diagnosis.

I just wanted to know if he still had a worm issue, could it present itself with wet FIP symptoms? Since FIP likes to mimic several other illnesses and is hard to pinpoint.
I feel like I may be in less denial than my mother, but I am still clinging to the hope he doesn't have that terrible illness.

A very rough timeline would be that Spring of last year he presented a distended potbelly that was bloated and hard (not jiggly at all), some diarrhea, eating more, no vomit.
We had brought in one of our ferals sometime last year and he now lives in the house so we thought maybe he brought in worms despite deworming him as well.

Dewormed several times through Spring-Autumn and showed very little improvement.
His stomach got a bit smaller in November, but by December it was back (but not hard) and he started hiding a little more. He has always been very social, but we could never pick him up -- and I was able to in December... which isn't good.
I begged my mother a few more times, but nothing came of it (she admits she was in denial), until recently when she was able to pick him up. He has lost a lot of weight, is vomiting every othr day, he eats constantly, his belly is big (but not like last year), he has the dreaded triangle face, and he is sneezing. His coat is dull and I know he is malnourished despite our best efforts. (I have been giving him more of a fresh meat/canned diet vs his dry food)
He is about 10 years old, and has never really had any issues until now.

My main concern is that, if he has FIP, what do I do about my other cats? What are the chances that they have the mutation? What are early signs? What do I do to prevent it? All 4 other cats are VERY affectionate toward him. So I am very worried that they would all have FCoV, especially our feral we brought in who is very very VERY bonded with him. What is the risk of mutation there?
How long would I have to monitor them if (i hate thinking about this) Gizmo has it and passes away?

I can't take Gizmo away from everyone if he has it, because that = stress.

What leads us to believe he most likely has it, is our past with another one of our babies dying from this terrible disease. I am still very ignorant to it, and I am running myself up a wall thinking about all of the possibilities.
I just need some piece of mind/some solidarity until the vet appointment on Friday.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say that you noticed a bloated belly about a year ago.
I never heard of a FIP cat showing symptoms and still living that long. I know FIP cats have a life expectancy of weeks, 6 months top. You should also see lack of appetite, fever, diarrhea or constipation, uveitis.
This said, I do hope that the round belly is given by something else.

You could have an ultrasound scan done and see if some fluids are in his abdomen, and have some of that fluid tested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aixmeinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say that you noticed a bloated belly about a year ago.
I never heard of a FIP cat showing symptoms and still living that long. I know FIP cats have a life expectancy of weeks, 6 months top. You should also see lack of appetite, fever, diarrhea or constipation, uveitis.
This said, I do hope that the round belly is given by something else.

You could have an ultrasound scan done and see if some fluids are in his abdomen, and have some of that fluid tested.
That is honestly what is really tripping me up at this point.
I hope so too, thank you.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's good news and bad news. Like Antonio65 said, it's unlikely that this is FIP. Cats with FIP just don't live that long. On the other hand, it could still be something nasty--abdominal masses of some sort come to mind. Contagion factor is low there, so that's more good news (the contagion factor in FIP, I find to be overstated on some websites--I have never lost more than one to FIP at a time).
But if Gizmo has a firm, distended abdomen, not jiggly, then he does need to see the vet. He may be in significant pain--cats are very good at hiding suffering.
With what did you deworm? Bloated tummies can be seen with high worm loads, but you would likely be seeing other signs--diarrhea, poor coat condition, excessive hunger with inconsistently-sized stools. OTC dewormers, depending on which one you used, may not treat all types of intestinal worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aixmeinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am coming back to this after Gizmo's passing.
We had taken him to the vet and got a general diagnosis of IBD, which another one of our cats have. It seemed odd, but we didn't question it --

We never got the closure we were looking for, and things took a traumatic turn in the end. Almost 2 weeks ago, I came home to him bleeding from his mouth and anus. He vomited, stomach deflated, and had diarrhea. I rushed him to the emergency clinic, and after 9 hours, decided the best thing to do was put him down. He was too weak for them to do anything, even a blood transfusion. I would've pushed on, but I felt it was selfish and i'd rather him die in my arms rather than on a cold metal table.

They couldn't tell me what it was, but it was something with his GI tract, possibly cancer. I appreciate the response I got here, and at least wanted to update. He is a good cat, and I love him dearly.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You gave him the best life he could have had, even if his time was cut short. You did the right thing by being there for him in the end.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, it's never easy, even when you expect the end.

RIP Gizmo, you had a great life with your loving mom, you had the best you could imagine, run free now :(