FIP dilemma, please help if you can

jenluckenbach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is the question:
Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to allow a cat who has been exposed to FIP in to a household with other cats?
Here is why:
I have 3 foster kittens, now 5 months old. They live separate (for the most part) from my own kitties. I was going to foster 2 more cats over the winter.(they would be in contact with the kittens) These 2 cats were living with a cat that died of FIP (3 months ago). No one else in that home got sick or died, but obviously these 2 have had exposure.
Would the kittens be at too much of a risk?
Thank you for any info you might have.

ddestes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trouble is with FIP testing it's not conclusive enough, unless they've come up with a new test over the last few months I don't know about.

It's my understanding that once a cat is exposed to FIP it is at risk for developing it and can be a carrier, which means those kittens could be carriers and pass it along to the others.

My breeder seems to think otherwise and went ahead and sold 2 kittens that were litter mates to 2 siblings that died with FIP, who knows if she warned the buyers or not (I'm thinking she didn't). I have one of the siblings that has made it so far and the mother (the 2 siblings hadn't gotten sick yet when I got these 2). Because of their exposure I'm not willing to bring any others into my house.

Would like to know however if I'm taking an unnecessary precaution, anyone out there have any updates on this being a risk or not?